Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Billy Ray

Indy has arrived in Afghanistan!

Normally when folks here receive packages, everyone wants to know what's in it. I was a little embarrased to say I received an action figure but, once I explained the whole deal, everyone got real excited about it. Looks like I will have a bit of help getting Indy around base and getting pics. Lots of new ideas for locations that I had not thought of previously.

Stoo

Billy Ray said:
Indy has arrived in Afghanistan!
WOO HOO!(y) He made it! Inky is going to have a pleasant surprise when he gets back online! I know what you mean about the embarassment but it's very cool that your buddies (and your wife) are enthusiastic about the whole idea. EXCITING!:D

09 - Afghanistan (Billy Ray) - ARRIVED 23-June-2010 / DEPARTING ???

The Bolan Pass, eh? You must be near Kandahar then. The British used that pass to enter the country in 1839 during the 1st Anglo-Afghan War and it was one of the entry points in 1878 during the 2nd war.

Shoot, now I'll have to go on a posting blitz. I wanted to finish up with my photos before he reached Billy Ray. (Expect some double posts from me.)

"Another rampart. This place looks impenetrable."

Indy_Malta_Valetta_11.jpg

"I must have been holding my map upside down because this is looking south toward Valetta. I want to be on the other side of the peninsula! Might as well head back to the hotel and get an early start tomorrow."

Indy_Malta_Valetta_12.jpg

Stoo

Indy in Malta - Day 2

"Off to Fort Rinella! Even though the Blue Grotto is out of the way, I want to go there for an early morning swim. Hopefully, this strange-looking bus will get me there..."

Indy_Malta_Valetta_13.jpg

"The Blue Grotto area on the south side of the island, near the town of Zurrieq. Will have to make my way down to the water's edge."

Indy_Malta_BlueGrotto_01.jpg

"The Mediterranean is a bit rough today and I forgot to pack my SPEEDOTM bathing suit!:mad: I'll soak in the view for a while and then make my way to the fort."

Indy_Malta_BlueGrotto_02.jpg

Lance Quazar

AMAZING pics, as always, Stoo! Try to get the rest your images out there before Billy Ray starts posting.

I love how you are able to cheat and make Indy look "full size" in many of your images. Wonderful! And the locations are absolutely extraordinary. Thanks for doing such an incredible job, you have really set the bar incredibly high.

Delighted to hear Indy has arrived safely with Billy Ray, can't wait to see what adventures the two of them get into now.

Whoooooo!!!

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
AMAZING pics, as always, Stoo!

(y) as ever!

Lance Quazar said:
I love how you are able to cheat and make Indy look "full size" in many of your images. Wonderful! And the locations are absolutely extraordinary. Thanks for doing such an incredible job, you have really set the bar incredibly high.

(y) (y)

Lance Quazar said:
Delighted to hear Indy has arrived safely with Billy Ray, can't wait to see what adventures the two of them get into now.

Let's hope the most dangerous threat that Indy (and Billy) encounters is the "poo pond". But, Billy, you can spare us the pictures of Indy's fight with the monsters in the pond!

Billy Ray

Montana Smith said:
(y) as ever!

(y) (y)

Let's hope the most dangerous threat that Indy (and Billy) encounters is the "poo pond". But, Billy, you can spare us the pictures of Indy's fight with the monsters in the pond!

Well, he has already survived his first rocket attack, but honestly those are far less dangerous than the brown trout in the "poo pond".;)

I haven't got out and about with Indy yet, but I plan on at least getting some shots with the mosque today. Unfortunately it's a bit overcast today (which normally would be a welcome event). I did get a few shots of Indy's arrival yesterday, but had some trouble uploading them las night. Apparently he missed a good photo op with some camels by one day:(

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Well, he has already survived his first rocket attack, but honestly those are far less dangerous than the brown trout in the "poo pond".;)

I haven't got out and about with Indy yet, but I plan on at least getting some shots with the mosque today. Unfortunately it's a bit overcast today (which normally would be a welcome event). I did get a few shots of Indy's arrival yesterday, but had some trouble uploading them las night. Apparently he missed a good photo op with some camels by one day:(

Hmmm. Indiana Jones arrives in Afghanistan, and a short while later General McChrystal is removed from command...

Is Indy back working for the military?

Stoo

Indiana Jones and the Cannon of Boom!

"Finally made it to the Rinella Battery, a low-lying fort built by the British in the early 1880s. It's virtually invisible when looking at it from the sea. Damn! The bridge over the dry ditch has been retracted and the gate is down. No way in except over the wall! Here goes..."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_01.jpg

"The 100-tonne Armstrong gun! It's powered by a steam-driven hydraulic system underground. The ammunition is fed by turning & pointing the barrel into a loading chamber on either side where a gigantic ram-rod feeds the charge and then...BOOM!:gun: The cost of firing a single shot was equivalent to 1 day's pay for 2,400 soldiers!"

Indy_Malta_Rinella_02.jpg

(The cannon doesn't look very big in this photo but, believe me, it's freaking HUGE!)
Rocket Surgeon said:
I have to say how great this is...we're sending Indy on a new adventure! Now if we could think up some type of narrative to link it all together, (like Stoo is already doing).

If we do, I would say Indy's adventures and misadventures, if only to get to a job interview (or a class on time!) at the Ravenwood Museum could be entertaining. Just so we all have one recurring thought at each of his destinations...

Interactive Indy Adventure indeed!;)
Indeed! I like your idea and will try to start fitting it in. We need a good title for Indy's new adventure...

Billy Ray

Well visibility was pretty poor today...lots of high winds + lots of dust, so I wasn't able to take too many of the shots that I had planned today. However, waiting in stopped traffice for 45 minutes, followed by what I thought was an unfortunate vehicle malfunction, turned into a couple of unexpected photo ops...a couple of which were very Indy.:D

Stoo

More History Behind the Mystery

"My colleague from the Malta Heritage Society surprisingly knew the story about the ring I found at the Sailor's Church in Montreal* and had more to tell me. Apparently, there were originally *3* rings stolen from Shah Shuja. Three years after the Gordon Highlander gave the ring to the priest, his regiment was stationed in Malta in 1888. One of the rings is believed to be hidden in the underground of Fort Rinella. The other one is still in Afghanistan somewhere near the Bolan Pass."

*(See page 10, post 141 of this thread)

"This shell weighs 1 tonne and that gun up there could fire it up to about 8 miles! Now back to business...I'm here to find that ring. Not only will the 3 rings lead me to the bigger prize, they belong in the Ravenwood Museum!"

Indy_Malta_Rinella_03.jpg

"Alright, I've searched high & low and there's no trace of it anywh-- Wait a minute! What's this? Looks like the entrance to a secret tunnel!"

Indy_Malta_Rinella_04.jpg

Lance Quazar said:
AMAZING pics, as always, Stoo! Try to get the rest your images out there before Billy Ray starts posting.

Whoooooo!!!
Whooooo! is right, Lance.(y) Can't wait to see Indy on Afghan soil! Again, thanks for all your enthusiastic feedback. I hate the blurriness in some of them and so many ideas are coming to mind now that I'm kicking myself for not having thought of them sooner. Hopefully, you, Billy Ray & the rest of the gang will be inspired to think of some cool ideas before it's too late!

Many of the Malta shots were a challenge. Besides the fact that I was on the move, as I mentioned earlier, they were done without my girlfriend knowing.:eek: For Fort Rinella, I was given free access to roam as I please (which was awesome) but the Indy photos I took didn't turn out to as well as I would've liked.:(
Billy Ray said:
Well, he has already survived his first rocket attack, but honestly those are far less dangerous than the brown trout in the "poo pond".

I haven't got out and about with Indy yet, but I plan on at least getting some shots with the mosque today. Unfortunately it's a bit overcast today (which normally would be a welcome event). I did get a few shots of Indy's arrival yesterday, but had some trouble uploading them las night. Apparently he missed a good photo op with some camels by one day
Re: Rocket attack.:eek: Not to get overly sentimental but please know that I hope you (& your entire outfit) come to no harm.

Too bad about the camels. Maybe you'll get another chance.

I have a favour to ask you, Billy Ray. I'm extremely anxious to see your photos but would you be able to hold off from posting the bulk of them until I'm done? Maybe another day or two? I'm sure everyone would appreciate a few teasers but it would be nice to make Indy's travelogue as fluid as possible. Just a thought...:hat:

Lance Quazar

Billy Ray said:

Stay safe and thank you for your service and bravery.

Stoo

"I was right. A secret tunnel...I may be in luck."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_06.jpg

"The Highlander might have hidden the 2nd ring down here..."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_07.jpg

Montana Smith said:
Thanks. Hats off to you, Matt.:hat: Why haven't you signed up for the final UK leg of the journey?:confused::whip:
Billy Ray said:
...However, waiting in stopped traffice for 45 minutes, followed by what I thought was an unfortunate vehicle malfunction, turned into a couple of unexpected photo ops...a couple of which were very Indy.
Sounds good! Can't wait...

Stoo

"It's getting dark down here...The underground tunnels are much deeper than I thought they were..."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_08.jpg

"Wish I had brought a flashlight...or at least a lighter...It's going to be difficult to find that 2nd ring...*If* it's here..."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_09.jpg

(I wanted to use my cigarette lighter during these shots. It would have made for a perfect TORCH but I would've needed 3 hands. There was no way to hold the figure, the camera AND a lighter at the same time!:()

Billy Ray

Stoo said:
Re: Rocket attack.:eek: Not to get overly sentimental but please know that I hope you (& your entire outfit) come to no harm.

Too bad about the camels. Maybe you'll get another chance.

I have a favour to ask you, Billy Ray. I'm extremely anxious to see your photos but would you be able to hold off from posting the bulk of them until I'm done? Maybe another day or two? I'm sure everyone would appreciate a few teasers but it would be nice to make Indy's travelogue as fluid as possible. Just a thought...:hat:

Yeah, no problem. I was going to wait a bit to actually post any pics anyway. Right now, the shots I have gotten have all been "targets of opportunity" as it is rather hard to plan anything right now. I am off on Sunday, and plan on devoting the day to taking Indy around the base. Also plannig to hit the bazaar on Saturday. I think I will wait till I have enough images to attempt some sort of narrative. Right now, they are just kind of all over the place.

Billy Ray

Indy is currently out on an adventure courtesy of one of my co-workers; visting the TLS (Taliban's Last Stand)...basically the Taliban's version of the Alamo. It was their last stonghold here at the beginning of the war and is actually sort of reminiscent of the Alamo inside.

Billy Ray

Well it looks like Indy got more than he bargained for in his trip to the TLS. My co-worker was inspired to take him to a few other sites around base and get some really great shots!

Stoo

"Well, I didn't find the 2nd ring. I don't think it's there so it could be ANYWHERE. Now to find my suitcase. I know I hid it in these bushes directly across from Fort Ricasoli. For a tiny island, Malta sure has plenty of forts!"

Indy_Malta_Rinella_11.jpg

"The long walk back to the hotel. They drive on the other side of the road here so I should be looking to my right before crossing the street."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_12.jpg

"It's a bell tower." (Read this with a Doug Lee-"Fate of Atlantis" voice.;))

Indy_Malta_Rinella_13.jpg

@Billy Ray: I am so glad we made the effort to get Indy to you. Sounding better & better every minute!(y)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
"The long walk back to the hotel. They drive on the other side of the road here so I should be looking to my right before crossing the street."

Everywhere is a long walk when you're less than four inches tall! :p

Stoo said:
"It's a bell tower." (Read this with a Doug Lee-"Fate of Atlantis" voice.;))

Reminds me of the voice in The Infernal Machine every time Indy picks up some "'erbs". Indy's getting a little blurry recently, has he been partaking of the 'erbs? Everything around him is crystal clear! Better check his suitcase before he has to go through the next customs check...

Stoo said:
[@Billy Ray: I am so glad we made the effort to get Indy to you. Sounding better & better every minute!(y)

Indy'll have the Taliban whipped in no time! :whip: