Will we get another Indy game now?

Henry W Jones

I was just thinking with Paramount owning part of the rights to Indy, it probably means no new games as well. This whole Disney merger f#~ked the Indiana Jones franchise in the @$$!!!

IndyJoey

Not necessarily true... Have you played any of the games by Disney? They are always good... The only thing i am worried about is that they might attempt to make a MMO... that would be bad...

Henry W Jones

I'm not worried whether not Disney can make a good game, my concern is with the licensing issues with Paramount, like the films, they probably have to get Paramount to sign off on it. And Disney has expressed no immediate plans or interest in getting those right from Paramount. I'm not bashing Disney or their abilities to make good products. I am pointing out their current lack of interest in gaining the rights to the IJ franchise and that games are probably mixed in the licensing. Hence no new games.

Indy's brother

Now this is an interesting facet of the Disney thing that I hadn't considered. I was so busy medicating my butthurt over the obvious death of Indy 5 with Ford, that I didn't even think of the games. Does the acquisition of Lucasfilm include LucasArts? If so, I think that the gaming aspect of our fandom could be in for some really good times. George, while good (great, in fact) at coming up with cinematic premises, for the most most part really sucks at making good games for Indyfans.

Finn

Staff member
Henry W Jones said:
I'm not worried whether not Disney can make a good game, my concern is with the licensing issues with Paramount, like the films, they probably have to get Paramount to sign off on it.
What licensing issues? Paramount owns the distribution rights to any Indiana Jones films, meaning that if Indy V is ever made, they get to have a say on that.

The rights to the character of Indiana Jones sit solely with LucasFilm (and its subsidiaries), meaning Disney does have to ask for Paramount's approval if they wish to make another film, but all other merchandise? It's fair game, just like it was before.

And there goes the bell, so Uncle Finn has to conclude the lecture here. For the next time, read Michaelson chapters 11 and 12, and write a short essay on the subject titled "The Key Facets of Intellectual Property".

<small>And my my, the language in here. Kids these days...</small>

Henry W Jones

Thanks Finn for the info. I wasn't sure how that would work. So you're saying Disney has the ability to make a Indiana Jones game if they want without Paramount Pictures permission? If so, thats great news.

PS I censored myself.

Finn

Staff member
Exactly what it says on the tin. Paramount has the movie distributing rights. Movie. Whatever other media Indy appears in is decided by whoever currently owns those publishing rights, and if none, the actual IP holder.

It's the same thing as the deal Lucas had with 20th Century Fox concerning the existing six Star Wars films. Or do you really think George asked for Fox's approval every time he wished to release a new EU piece (approx. 500 times a year), be it a novel, comic book, video game or whichever?

Given how Indy video games have never veered outside LucasArts, which was part of the deal... then yes, Disney could potentially release a new Indy game.

And you didn't censor yourself, but did the total opposite: circumvented the stop word engine.

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

Finn said:
Exactly was it says on the tin. Paramount has the movie distributing rights. Movie. Whatever other media Indy appears in is decided by whoever currently owns those publishing rights, and if none, the actual IP holder.

It's the same thing as the deal Lucas had with 20th Century Fox concerning the existing six Star Wars films. Or do you really think George asked for Fox's approval every time he wished to release a new EU piece (approx. 500 times a year), be it a novel, comic book, video game or whichever?

Given how Indy video games have never veered outside LucasArts, which was part of the deal... then yes, Disney could potentially release a new Indy game.

And you didn't censor yourself, but did the total opposite: circumvented the stop word engine.

Okay Finn, I never thought about it before and I don't know what divisions of Lucas' empire have to have who's approval. And what tin are you talking about? And I am sorry my language offended you.

Finn

Staff member
Exactly What It Says On The Tin

Paramount has a film distribution deal concerning the Indiana Jones franchise. It tells you in a very accurate manner what kind of media or merchandise they deal with it. Indiana Jones films. Nothing more, nothing less.

Grizzlor

Disney just needs to bank roll the game. The game itself will use an established engine, but will need artwork, sound, voice, story done.