The Indy Cast

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
1. Depends who you ask.
2. As if you don't troll. After seeing what Ol' Sharkey says while I'm not around has lead me to lurk. :)

Go on. Admit it, you're trolling. Just like me. ;)

Coming here is like rubber-necking at the scene of a road accident.

Nobody knows if I listen to the latest Indy Cast or not. I wouldn't admit it. I may just need to check that my assumptions are correct once in a while.

And yes, Sharkey's reviews are the main attraction.

DiscoLad

Montana Smith said:

Never said I didn't, why else would I end up here posting?(y)
It's just that Stoo makes it sound like he doesn't... Is all.

Rocket says to Stoo: I'll get behind him. You push. :p

Finn

Staff member
Ahem. Are you guys going to heed by Violet's rather good advice or not? Because if you have to have a mod on your case, she's the pleasant choice. Trust me on that.

Stoo

This is an IndyCast Thread!

DiscoLad said:
As if you don't troll.
No, it's the complete opposite.:rolleyes:
DiscoLad said:
:D Cite some evidence of this man crush? I'm unaware.
Do you really want me to? There is plenty of evidence but this isn't the place for it.

@Violet: Do you see, Sarah? Do y'see? Disco is an attention-begging troll...

Let's get back to the IndyCast...Rocket, how did you do the WATSON voice?:confused:

DiscoLad

Stoo said:
Do you really want me to? There is plenty of evidence but this isn't the place for it...

I want all you got. :)
But you are right, this isn't the place. Let's take it elsewhere. Name it.

But I want evidence.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
Hey, now! 'Muffin' is a rather cute nickname, don't ya think? My question was specifically aimed at the IndyCast crew. Disco is just trolling this thread...begging for attention. (His 'man-crush' for me is no secret.):eek:

Discolad said:
1. Depends who you ask.
2. As if you don't troll. After seeing what Ol' Sharkey says while I'm not around has lead me to lurk.
Cite some evidence of this man crush? I'm unaware.

Stoo said:
@Violet: Do you see, Sarah? Do y'see? Disco is an attention-begging troll...

Discolad said:
I want all you got.
But you are right, this isn't the place. Let's take it elsewhere. Name it.

But I want evidence.

Argue all you like Stoo as to the cuteness of the name "muffin"- it doesn't matter what the word is, the fact is you were purposely name calling, a intentional put-down. And that is not allowed at the Raven.
And Discolad- do not think for a moment that I consider you as innocent. Yes, you two should sort your differences elsewhere- however as your latest post implies a threat- that again is not allowed at the Raven.

I once again implore BOTH of you to heed Finn's and my advice in the matter. Don't think for a moment that just because I'm a new mod, that you can get away with such things.

Now please- the rest of you return to discussing the topic.

Stoo

Violet said:
Argue all you like Stoo as to the cuteness of the name "muffin" - it doesn't matter what the word is,
I'm not arguing, Violet. Muffins are cute. Where is the insult?
Violet said:
Now please- the rest of you return to discussing the topic.
Please notice that I was attempting to get the thread back on track...(instead of letting it get de-railed by a certain...whatever...."troll").
Stoo said:
Moving forward...

@Ed: Any update on an interview with Kim Belair?:confused:
P.S. My Raven PM box is full but Disco tried to PM me *3* times within the last hour! Please, stop!:whip:

The Indy Exhibition premieres in Montreal on April 28th!!! Very soon!

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
P.S. My Raven PM box is full but Disco tried to PM me *3* times within the last hour! Please, stop!:whip:

Then shouldn't the most constructive thing you can do right now for everyone involved be pretty well evident? (Hint: it's not ostentatiously making clear that you're not reading his PMs.)

Montana Smith said:
Sharkey, if The Indy Cast really annoys you, why do you bother listening?

It's not as if it's compulsory listening.

I don't count myself among those who listen avidly to every episode, but I don't see the need to trash something that a lot of people obviously enjoy. There's a difference between constructive criticism and wanton snidey remarks.

It's been a fascinating odyssey to watch Montana go from that response to Sharkey back in May to this:

Montana Smith said:

Nobody knows if I listen to the latest Indy Cast or not. I wouldn't admit it. I may just need to check that my assumptions are correct once in a while.

And yes, Sharkey's reviews are the main attraction.
:whip: We're waiting for something constructive from you, Monty. :)

Montana Smith

If

TheIndyOpinion said:
It's been a fascinating odyssey to watch Montana go from that response to Sharkey back in May to this:

then that has surely been

TheIndyOpinion said:
something constructive

I've been on many journeys here. And you could ask why I wrote back then that

Smiffy said:
I don't count myself among those who listen avidly to every episode

and now, why instead of

Smiffy said:
wanton snidey remarks

I've employed a gentle dose of mischief. If you read carefully you'll see there's never any teeth, and mischief is the alternative to full-on constructive criticism. And you'd like me even less if I got constructive. You were correct before, it's very "Sharkey-lite".

This is a thread that Sharkey frequents, so hence the "rubber necking". You never know what he'll say - and that's the grim fact of rubber-necking at road accidents.

That, and because some of what he writes was always true, no matter how much I tried to deny it out of politeness. So you'll get gentle mischief, rather than a targeted assault.

Montana Smith said:
I've employed a gentle dose of mischief. If you read carefully you'll see there's never any teeth, and mischief is the alternative to full-on constructive criticism. And you'd like me even less if I got constructive. You were correct before, it's very "Sharkey-lite".

This is a thread that Sharkey frequents, so hence the "rubber necking". You never know what he'll say - and that's the grim fact of rubber-necking at road accidents.

That, and because some of what he writes was always true, no matter how much I tried to deny it out of politeness. So you'll get gentle mischief, rather than a targeted assault.

Once again, you make an assumption. And it is wrong. Constructive criticism would not make me like you less.

Of course, I think there's a line between constructive criticism and a "targeted attack." Attacks tend to be destructive, not constructive. Perhaps you can't make that distinction.

Stoo has offered constructive criticism on several occasions, which I've tried to use to improve my segment as well as the radio dramas. So have several others whose comments, though at times difficult to take, have been appreciated.

I don't speak for everyone on the show, but personally I welcome criticism that could help me improve the listening experience. I don't care for wanton snide remarks, or general mischief if you'd like to classify your comments that way. I don't see the point of it, it's not useful.

And don't confuse "fascinating" with "constructive." For example, I've found Charlie Sheen's recent behavior mildly fascinating, but there's nothing constructive about it.

Montana Smith

TheIndyOpinion said:
Once again, you make an assumption. And it is wrong. Constructive criticism would not make me like you less.

Of course, I think there's a line between constructive criticism and a "targeted attack." Attacks tend to be destructive, not constructive. Perhaps you can't make that distinction.

Stoo has offered constructive criticism on several occasions, which I've tried to use to improve my segment as well as the radio dramas. So have several others whose comments, though at times difficult to take, have been appreciated.

I don't speak for everyone on the show, but personally I welcome criticism that could help me improve the listening experience. I don't care for wanton snide remarks, or general mischief if you'd like to classify your comments that way. I don't see the point of it, it's not useful.

And don't confuse "fascinating" with "constructive." For example, I've found Charlie Sheen's recent behavior mildly fascinating, but there's nothing constructive about it.

Okay, I'm going through the pages of this thread, looking for the posts I made. The first one was questioning Sharkey's venom, which you already quoted.

After that it was engaging with Sharkey's other responses.

Then

Smiffy said:
Whenever it begins to sound like an edition of Waynes World you could always listen at high speed. Used to work for me. You can just barely make out the words so you know if there's anything you want to stop and listen to.

Don't bother downloading very often now. The Raven's enough for me. Don't want to be overdoing it. ;)

Smiffy said:
Don't take it personally, I used to listen to most of the show in high speed. ;)

Then Read-Alongs came along:

Smiffy said:
I remember Read Alongs. I was expecting Sharkey to come in with a reference to a junior section of the Indy Cast being like an episode of Muppet Babies!

Then the search for celebrities came:

Smiffy said:
They would stoop that low? :confused:

They do have their careers to think of. ;)

Was that the first bad one? The first one really below the belt? I blame that on Shark-infested waters.

Since Disco was popular at the time (the music, that is), a Clive Anderson reference to the Bee Gees became unavoidable:

Smiffy said:
As much fun could be had by listening to these Tossers [The Bee Gees]

Then there was a wholesale changing of aliases, and that raised an obvious question, as to why.

Smiffy said:
If you associate too closely with the Indy Cast it becomes necessary to change your alias once in awhile, otherwise leading a normal existence becomes fraught with danger. (Bricks through windows, sniggers and pointing in public, that sort of thing). :p

There's a lot of irony there, along with rib-pokes nuanced by a wink or a raspberry. Coming from me that's virtual flattery.

And that's not even mentioning the Radio Plays where I offered praise and constructive criticism.

You put yourselves up there, which is why I was prompted to make the first anti-Sharkey post. Your show is entertaining, though not always in the manner intended - hence the Wayne's World analogy.

The teasing Puck from Midsummer Night's Dream was my modus operandi.

William Shakespeare said:
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
If you pardon we will mend.
Else the Puck a liar call.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.

:hat:

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DiscoLad said:
Keep waiting, Rocket. :D

Oh, come now, you must be able to muster up <I>some</I> good reason to post in this thread. Any Indiana Jones issues been niggling your brain lately? Things you're raring for a discussion of? (Of course, those may likely be found elsewhere on the board just as easily as in audio format...)

Montana, if your comments are all meant to be playful and tongue-in-cheek, just poking fun, then I apologize for taking them as anything more. It just seemed that perhaps there was a pattern that indicated you really disliked the show. And if that was the case I'd rather hear specific reasons why. :hat:

I guess it would be more accurate to say that you're just trying to stir the chum that we throw in the water, eh? :)

Montana Smith

TheIndyOpinion said:
Montana, if your comments are all meant to be playful and tongue-in-cheek, just poking fun, then I apologize for taking them as anything more.

That was indeed the intention. If you follow my posts around the various foum sections you'll notice that mischief strikes when an opportunity poses itself. I thought when you responded you were picking up the brick and sweeping up, that you were on board. :)

TheIndyOpinion said:
It just seemed that perhaps there was a pattern that indicated you really disliked the show. And if that was the case I'd rather hear specific reasons why. :hat:

There was only a playful theme developing.

TheIndyOpinion said:
I guess it would be more accurate to say that you're just trying to stir the chum that we throw in the water, eh? :)

Perfect analogy. If you want to spot a great white it pays to hang around in the places where it was last sighted. These waters are a favoured feeding ground.

Montana Smith said:
That was indeed the intention. If you follow my posts around the various foum sections you'll notice that mischief strikes when an opportunity poses itself. I thought when you responded you were picking up the brick and sweeping up, that you were on board. :)

Yes, and I actually did find that post pretty funny. As was the Bee Gees line. I must have been having a bad morning today!

Montana Smith said:
There was only a playful theme developing.

Yes, and if I may borrow a phrase from EB White: Analysing humour is like dissecting a frog ? few people are interested, and the frog dies. I accept responsibility for thinking too much about your post, which as I read it back now is clearly another non-malicious poke. :D

Montana Smith said:
Perfect analogy. If you want to spot a great white it pays to hang around in the places where it was last sighted. These waters are a favoured feeding ground.

Typically true, although it appears that Sharkey is now hunting 6-foot rabbits in another thread. :eek: