LucasArts classics coming to Steam

Finn

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
ScummVM isn't for profit or official.
Exactly. If you can achieve similar effects by using free piece of software, having same brush-up effects in a commercial one can't be viewed as a lure, at least in my mind.

I prefer the original look as well.

Finn said:
Exactly. If you can achieve similar effects by using free piece of software, having same brush-up effects in a commercial one can't be viewed as a lure, at least in my mind.

I prefer the original look as well.

Well... I'd agree, were it not for the fact that all the screen shots show that hideous de-pixelated filter. Just kinda seems that they're selling that as the game... The game is not that, however.

And yeah, I prefer the original look. Which is why I don't use ScummVM-- call me crazy, but I'd much rather see the pixel-art fedora and whip than the green ScummVM menu when I hit F5 in LC...

spiralout

ResidentAlien said:
Well... I'd agree, were it not for the fact that all the screen shots show that hideous de-pixelated filter. Just kinda seems that they're selling that as the game... The game is not that, however.

And yeah, I prefer the original look. Which is why I don't use ScummVM-- call me crazy, but I'd much rather see the pixel-art fedora and whip than the green ScummVM menu when I hit F5 in LC...
The filters are turned off by default in ScummVM. But personally, I think they do a good job, especially on a high resolution monitor.

spiralout said:
The filters are turned off by default in ScummVM. But personally, I think they do a good job, especially on a high resolution monitor.

I have a high-res monitor. Game looks stellar sans filters.

Indy's brother

I don't know much about pc gaming, but I'm sure some of you will be interested in this.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Loom, and The Dig will be among the titles available through Steam for Mac when the digital distribution platform launches on Mac later today, LucasArts has revealed.
Each of the four games will sell individually at $4.99 and collectively in a $9.99 bundle, though LucasArts cautions that "the great price of $9.99" is a "limited time" thing.

There's no need to re-purchase if you already own the games via Steam PC, as LucasArts is among the companies using "Steam Play" so that "folks who have already purchased and downloaded the games for PC can download the Mac versions for free."

Also due to hit Mac alongside Steam are Valve's Portal and Runic's Torchlight.

dprog

Yeah, they didn't make it for PC, so you may have to dust off an old console or use PC emulators like PCSX2 or PPSSPP perhaps!
Lucasfilm games can port Staff of kings to PC though. A2M,The developer company that made the wii/ps2 versions, is still around.(They just changed their name)

ShortRound

Lucasfilm games can port Staff of kings to PC though. A2M,The developer company that made the wii/ps2 versions, is still around.(They just changed their name)
If only they did! Unfortunately, I think it doesn't always have the best reputation after the PS3/XBOX version was cancelled and the other versions took so much of the brunt of expectations.

Personally I regularly replay most versions of it but it looks lile Lucasfilm and Disney have been quite stingy with marketing and other media this time around.

IndyLipton

Sadly, still no Staff of Kings.
I assure you, you have lost nothing. This game definitely isn't as good as "Lego Indy", "Infernal Machine" or "Emperor's Tomb".
I finished that game only two months ago on the emulator. Just out of curiousity.
I was very disappointed. No interesting plot, no exciting gameplay, no original soundtrack.

dprog

I assure you, you have lost nothing. This game definitely isn't as good as "Lego Indy", "Infernal Machine" or "Emperor's Tomb".
I finished that game only two months ago on the emulator. Just out of curiousity.
I was very disappointed. No interesting plot, no exciting gameplay, no original soundtrack.
I have played the wii,PS2 and PSP versions.

The psp version is a good game and it has the best version of it's story.

The Wii version despite being an inferior game is still good imo. In terms of facial expressions and cutscene direction, the Wii version is better than previous Indy games.It's also the only indy game that actually gives you some nice bonuses for finding the hidden artifacts.
I also enjoyed the Plane piloting and motor bike riding sequences in the Wii version. Wii controls are good for those sections.

So, I think porting even the Wii version to pc is worth it.

ShortRound

I have played the wii,PS2 and PSP versions.

The psp version is a good game and it has the best version of it's story.

The Wii version despite being an inferior game is still good imo. In terms of facial expressions and cutscene direction, the Wii version is better than previous Indy games.It's also the only indy game that actually gives you some nice bonuses for finding the hidden artifacts.
I also enjoyed the Plane piloting and motor bike riding sequences in the Wii version. Wii controls are good for those sections.

So, I think porting even the Wii version to pc is worth it.
Yeah the Wii version also had the bonus coop story to play as Henry Sr alongside Indy!

I can't decide whether I like the PSP or PS2 versions but the PSP one is for sure has better game mechanics.

dprog

Yeah the Wii version also had the bonus coop story to play as Henry Sr alongside Indy!

I can't decide whether I like the PSP or PS2 versions but the PSP one is for sure has better game mechanics.
I wasn't a fan of the ps2 version compared to the Wii version.
-Loading times are much longer
-Framerate is 30 while in wii it's 60
-Graphics are worse and in the first level the airplane doesn't have any shadows !
-No coop mode and versus mode.
-Less Whip grabbing moves compared to Wii version.
-Shooting sections having inferior controls compared to Wii version.

The only part of the Wii version I didn't like was the "shake the controls to make Indy run " sections that were much inferior to "mash buttons to run" sections in the PS2 version.

But I still prefer the PSP version since that has a better ending and better story imo.(alongside kinda better controls outside of those shooting sections)