Masks of Evil (Transylvania)

robweiner8

-Jones- said:
Best Young Indy episode ever! :whip:
I think I am going to have to re-watch this episode, considering how most people here really like it. Maybe it will grow on me.. I hope it does:gun:

ReggieSnake

I thought it was freaky and didn't really fit in the series, but I could take Draculas-that-don't-die all day over the likes of Paris 1916.:sick: That one is truly not appropriate for children, or anyone IMO.

Transylvania was the first episode I watched (so it has that fairly recent distinction for me).....at about 1am, so that probably added to the freakiness factor.

So,
Appropriate for small kids? Probably not.
Fit in Indiana Jones? Maybe, but not really.
Played out well as a Horror-esque episode? I thought so.
Freaky and weird? Most definitely.
Did I like it? Yeah.

Dr Jones

I watched 'Masks Of Evil' last night.

Transylvania wasn't as bad as I thought second time around from when I watched it on VHS.

The balance of comedy and supernatural isn't too bad, and it sort of can fit in with Indy's encounter with supernatural hocus-pocus with the Ark, the Temple of Doom and to some extent the Grail Temple, so I guess it's all a case of how far your mind can stretch to believe with Indy in what he is encountering.

(y)

Good characters, nice action and some nice 'impaling' establishing shots!

(Urgh!)

montana

Actually I rewatched Masks of Evil last night, and I found it very enjoyable, although the first half, the Istanbul part, was a little to slow for my liking, and clearly lacked the suspense of previous spy episodes. The Transylvania episode, I think, was not meant to be taken as seriously as the other episodes. It think the producers wanted it to resemble the horros-movies of the 1920's, like Nosferatu. The episode was quite scary at times, and I'm delighted that "Vlad" the impaler wasn't a typical Hollywood vampire. Did you see where his long teeth were placed?:D

Regards

Gobi-1

Out of all the Young Indy movies I hadn't seen yet I was looking forward to Masks of Evil the most and I have to say not only was I disappointed I think it ranks as the worst Young Indy episode ever.

As someone said it was freaky and weird and I couldn't agree more. I was like "What the hell?" It was just cartoonishly bad. I also couldn't believe how bloody the episode was. Would have scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Did this episode ever air on ABC? If not I understand why.

I enjoyed the first half though. That was a good episode despite being a bit predictable.

tupogirl

Gobi-1 said:

No. I saw it for the first time on VHS about 2000 and it wasn't that bloody. My 5 year old was sitting with me when I watched it on History Channel recently and I wasn't expecting all the blood!

Stoo

Gobi-1 said:
No, it didn't air in Canada nor the U.K. either. It was shown in mainland Europe (and possibly Australia)
but was not as bloody as "Masks of Evil". (You don't see what happens behind the curtains.)
Agent Spalko said:
If you guys think this episode is out of place I can only imagine your reaction to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Most of the people who have posted in this thread LIKE the episode.:rolleyes:

Indy fan 235

I haven't seen this episode yet. Truth be told I haven't seen all the Young Indy episodes, but I still need to buy the DVDs to fix that. Which box set is it in?

It does sound like a cool episode. I love a good vampire story and loved the Indy Find Your Fate book with the Cup of the Vampire in it as a kid, so I think this sounds like something I will like.

phantom train

Indy fan 235 said:
I haven't seen this episode yet. Truth be told I haven't seen all the Young Indy episodes, but I still need to buy the DVDs to fix that. Which box set is it in?

It does sound like a cool episode. I love a good vampire story and loved the Indy Find Your Fate book with the Cup of the Vampire in it as a kid, so I think this sounds like something I will like.

"Masks of Evil" is in the YIJC Volume 3 DVD set.

Despite all of the naysayers, I feel this is a great episode - but, definitely not for the squeamish.

Flannery10

Even though, I was really looking forward to the episode, I was a little disappointed when I finally saw it. I guess after seeing all those great Young Indy episodes without any supernatural elements, I was a little shocked to see one as bloody as Transylvania. Not that I had anything against the blood, but parts of the episodes seemed to be a little farfetched.

The actual episode seemed to be pretty short, and since you have all the originals Stoo, could you tell me at what point Transylvania really starts because Masks of Evil seems to have a very long linking segment.

Stoo

The original starts in Venice with Indy in the gondola as it passes under the bridge,
so the linking segment isn't really as long as it seems.

vf wing

This is one of the episodes I've been very keen on avoiding spoilers for since I started watching the series. I was afraid that with the feel of the show being different from the movies that they would not go there: namely, portraying Vlad Tepes as a vampire. I'm very glad I was wrong!

Still, the episode left me a bit lukewarm. I honestly can't recall a single thing about the opening half, as I was pretty anxious to see the Dracula stuff. But I'm looking forward to seeing it again, as second screenings tend to improve my opinion of stuff I'm predisposed to liking but am on the fence about after seeing once.

vf wing

WHOA! Turns out the second screening makes a HUGE difference. First half seemed a bit rushed, but that was mostly due to the story structure, namely throwing us into Indy's current situation that he's clearly been wrapped up in for some time. Gotta admit his girlfriend's death scene wasn't particularly well acted.

The linking segments are starting to stick out like a sore thumb. Seems like he could have at least gotten a haircut.

But the Dracula chapter this time had me mesmerized! I really blew thru it last time, glossing over virtually everything 'til Drac himself appeared. Most of it was sort of a spooky haunted house type story that was surprisingly effective. I'm a Keith Szarabajka fan from his Equalizer days, so he was a treat to see.

My only nitpick here was how easily they took Vlad down. Was surprised to see Indy was pretty much a sidekick in this one, but if he hadn't been allied with an expert, he would've ended up an hors d'oeuvres. But this is an iconic story in his timeline, since it's pretty much his first encounter with the supernatural... that we know of so far, anyhoo!

I actually had nightmares after this one! :eek:

phantom train

I think the first sequence in "Masks of Evil" (the Turkey episode) is best seen as a stand-alone TV episode, as I first saw it way back in 1993.
I found this whole episode very well-done, poignant, and sad, especially the ending when the girlfriend (Molly?) passes away.

However, as it now stands "Turkey" is overshadowed by the "Transylvania" sequence (which I also think would work better as a stand-alone episode than as the 2nd part of a TV movie).

That all being said, the "Transylvania" sequence is definitely one of the high points of the YIJC series, and seems to be the only time you actually see Indy battling something otherworldly/supernatural on the show.

Junior Jones

phantom train said:
I think the first sequence in "Masks of Evil" (the Turkey episode) is best seen as a stand-alone TV episode, as I first saw it way back in 1993.

I think the whole series is best seen as stand alone episodes. Some of them fit together pretty well (Oganga, Scandal of 1920, etc.) but for the most part they work best the way they were originally designed to, not the way they were redesigned.

Stoo

vf wing said:
But the Dracula chapter this time had me mesmerized! I really blew thru it last time, glossing over virtually everything 'til Drac himself appeared. Most of it was sort of a spooky haunted house type story that was surprisingly effective. I'm a Keith Szarabajka fan from his Equalizer days, so he was a treat to see.

My only nitpick here was how easily they took Vlad down. Was surprised to see Indy was pretty much a sidekick in this one, but if he hadn't been allied with an expert, he would've ended up an hors d'oeuvres. But this is an iconic story in his timeline, since it's pretty much his first encounter with the supernatural... that we know of so far, anyhoo!
There are so many great elements in this episode. Ex. the cut coin pieces, Indy with the grappling hook, the ball lightning, the Cpt. Waters character and I can't give enough accolades to Bob Peck for his interpretation of Vlad! The linking segment for "Masks" is one that I actually like because they managed to get the same actor back and his dialgoue is just so creepy and demented.:eek:

Didn't know that about Keith Szarabajka so thanks for the info, vf wing. Look for his green truck in another episode...:D

phatom train said:
I found this whole episode very well-done, poignant, and sad, especially the ending when the girlfriend (Molly?) passes away.

However, as it now stands "Turkey" is overshadowed by the "Transylvania" sequence (which I also think would work better as a stand-alone episode than as the 2nd part of a TV movie).
Just for the record, phantom train, the actual title was "Istanbul, September 1918";) and it is indeed one of the best of the series and the only one that has absolutely no humour or comedic moment. It is dark and serious with tension thicker than a brick. When it originally aired, the ending hit like a lead weight and actually made a little tear well up in my eye.:( Poor Molly.

I have only seen the Easter Uprising episode, and that only on you tube...so we all know that doesn't really count. I've watched Stoo's Old Indy Chronicles, (thanks Stoo), but The Masks of Evil has always been one episode I've always hoped was great. It's on my Netflix cue, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what has been compromised for the DVD edition?

Here's to Vampires...I hope it's a good one!