Discuss Chapter 2 - The Warehouse (DVD chapter by chapter discussion)

Bvance said:
Also, my favorite shot of the entire film happens in the warehouse when Indy runs atop the crates and swings with his whip from the light. The way that was filmed is amazing. :whip:

caats said:
yah i love that. and i love that it's Harrison doing it all.
Although that shot doesn't belong into this chapter 2 discussion (it's in chapter 3 ;) ), it's NOT Harrison doing it all. They shot it twice, once with Harrison doing it (though he didn't jump down) and once with his stunt double doing the whole thing. In one part of the shot Indy is almost completely in the shadows, and that's where they blended from the take with Harrison to the take with his double. Perfect illusion, and yes, an awesome shot that gave me chills since the first teaser-trailer came out. I'll post an excerpt from Cinefex-magazine regarding that shot in the chapter 3 discussion thread, once it's on.

Kooshmeister

Crusade>Raiders said:
[*]WTF @ the time change. It
[/LIST]The only other place I believe this happens is in the Well of Souls in Raiders of the Lost Ark. But hey, who knows long it took Indy/Marion to get out of there; its left open to interpretation. So unless following metal bullets took HOURS of time, that just a really lazy loss of time there.

Isn't it daylight out when they shut them in? The sun had already risen at any rate, so it being bright outside when they come out at the airfield isn't terribly shocking.

Late morning anyway. The airfield fight is then early afternoon, truck chase late noon, heading into early evening. I think.

Sankara

@Kooshmeister

Digging = Sunset

Finding the well of souls = Night

Nazis discovering Indy = early morning

Flying Wing Fight... truck chase...

The Magic Rat

Well, I don't love all of this sequence but when the chase finally kicked in, I was grinning ear to ear. I think it's about 4 minutes, but it's the best 4 minutes of the movie.

And yeah, I think the big time difference is from when Indy steps up to the gorge, sees a town way the hell away, and decides to walk there. I would imagine that would take a while

Sankara

I like a very little detail in this scene.

Indy is throwing Dovchenkos Hat over is own head back to Dovchenko.

Later in this movie (after the 'Indy is looking at the Skull-Scene'):

Dovchenkos is throwing Indy's Hat over is own head back to Indy.

By the way: Yes, you are right! I saw this movie many-many-many times...

The Magic Rat

Sankara said:
I like a very little detail in this scene.

Indy is throwing Dovchenkos Hat over is own head back to Dovchenko.

Later in this movie (after the 'Indy is looking at the Skull-Scene'):

Dovchenkos is throwing Indy's Hat over is own head back to Indy.

By the way: Yes, you are right! I saw this movie many-many-many times...

nothin' wrong with that! Well, some would disagree-but not I!

The Magic Rat

Sankara said:
Disagree? Why should somebody disagree?

I meant a lot of the haters here would disagree that there is nothing wrong with seeing KOTCS a lot. That's all, not your statement. It's a nice attentive catch.:)

spiralout

95662941sq9.jpg

This chapter begins with something that's used a lot in this film: blinding white light. It makes things look artificial sometimes. I didn't have a problem with the CGI boxes, but there is a lot of over-lighting and blurring and fog in this scene. Thankfully, it still looks like classic Indiana Jones.

35559574eg2.jpg

The gun powder floating like dust was a little goofy, but it's nice to know that there is actually some metal in gun powder, as someone pointed out earlier.

14556839uv1.jpg

I like that Indy shows off his intelligence in this film. (even though it goes overboard sometimes) In this part, Indy is like MacGyver. Give me gun powder... give me pliers... give me shells... He knows how to handle the situation.

49628577ns0.jpg

There are two great little pieces of music in this chapter. One of them is when Indy climbs up the boxes and drops the shotgun pellets. You can see how much fog and lighting and blurring is used here. I felt like it sort of diminishes the vastness of the warehouse. It doesn't feel as big as it did in Raiders.

90164970xn9.jpg

Some nice work by ILM here with the moving metal parts. The floating dog-tags are also a nice touch.

54141731xn9.jpg

Here's the second great piece of music in this chapter. One of my favorites. The music is very much in the spirit of the 1950s sci-fi movie, and so is the metallic covering on the body.

10578378nn5.jpg

To introduce aliens into the Indiana Jones universe, it must be done subtly. This is the right start. By just showing the hand, the audience doesn't know exactly what it is. It could be a burn victim... a human experiment... an alien... Unfortunately, the mystery is ruined in the middle of the movie. (more on that later)

Last edited:

Benraianajones

Spiralout, I agree, the music when the container is opened to reveal the mummy is great. Sounds very "Egyptiany".

I don't think the alien reveal near the middle of the movie "ruins" it, but it I think Indy works best when we see little, and have a lot to imagine. In this case, the alien was a remain, and it doesn't bother me much.

I wasn't sure what the hand was, despite the "Roswell" on the container at first. The hand does look like a burn victims.

I do think following the time scale of Indy, and following the last crusade, an alien theme is interesting for Indy and not a bad thing. But perhaps, like Fate of Atlantis, it could have been done where we hear of stories and see remains, but never really know if supernatural beings visited. Though the end with the crystal skeletons could have been just that, without transforming.

But, anyway the warehouse scene so far I think is great.

sandiegojones

Benraianajones said:
Spiralout, I agree, the music when the container is opened to reveal the mummy is great. Sounds very "Egyptiany".
You're not the first person to say that but I thought the music was more like a 1950's horror movie. Like "The Thing" or "Creature from the Black Lagoon".

Listen to these, especially the ending of the "lagoon" sample:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SG0HS6/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk66?ie=UTF8&qid=1225994762&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Creature-Blac...f2_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1225995738&sr=102-2

The skull theme is similar to "The Day the Earth Stood Still" theme as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Day-Earth-Sto..._10?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1225995642&sr=102-10

Udvarnoky

Benraianajones said:
But perhaps, like Fate of Atlantis, it could have been done where we hear of stories and see remains, but never really know if supernatural beings visited. Though the end with the crystal skeletons could have been just that, without transforming.

That's sort of the way Darabont handled it in his script, so the fact that the final movie shows us the Close Encounters cast member right upfront means that it's something Lucas really wanted. It definitely is more in the 1950s alien movie line of thinking.

StoneTriple

More good stuff. I dig seeing the old warehouse close-up after 28 years. Spalko?s immediate and very matter-of-fact manner of putting the sword to Indy?s neck is awesome. She?s a not at all like the villains from the other three films. She means business and doesn?t waste time on theatrics or false identities. Her actions demonstrate her thoughts ? you?re going to find the box I came here to steal.

Indy?s in control of the situation after that and it?s classic Indy all the way. ?You want my help?...?