The Western Movie Thread

The Drifter said:
Watched The Outlaw Josey Wales and Jeremiah Johnson with my son the other night. I love those two flicks! He even picked them out, that kid has GREAT taste.
Finaly watched Jeremiah earlier this year...not bad.

But I think Josey Wales is my favorite Eastwood western...:hat:

featofstrength said:
finally saw Rango today...not bad...as far as cartoon reptile cowboy movies go
Saw it in the theater...not bad at all, maybe a little long.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
But I think Josey Wales is my favorite Eastwood western...:hat:

Probably my favourite, too. It's a shame he didn't film the sequel...

Futura-7514+Carter+Vengeance+Trail+of+Josey+Wales.jpg

WilliamBoyd8

I have seen "Pony Soldier" and I thought it was odd that
the characters are supposed to be in Canada and they are
actually in the colorful desert-like Sedona area of Arizona.

:)

Seen in Green

Just checked two more off the list...The Searchers and The Shootist.

1. Once Upon a Time in the West
2. The Searchers
3. Red River
4. High Noon
5. Shane
6. Unforgiven
7. Johnny Guitar
8. The Wild Bunch
9. Bad Day at Black Rock
10. Greed
11. Stagecoach
12. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
13. No Country for Old Men
14. They Died with their Boots On
15. Will Penny
16. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
17. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
18. The OxBow Incident
19. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
20. Monte Walsh
21. Broken Arrow
22. My Darling Clementine
23. Lonely Are the Brave
24. Rancho Notorious
25. The John Ford Cavalry Trilogy
26. The Gunfighter
27. Rio Bravo
28. Winchester `73
29. Hondo
30. The Man from Laramie
31. Ulzana’s Raid
32. Blood on the Moon
33. Major Dundee
34. The Magnificent Seven
35. The Naked Spur
36. Sergio Leone’s Dollars Trilogy
37. Bend of the River
38. Tumbleweeds
39. Hombre
40. Hud
41. Don’t Fence Me In
42. Dodge City
43. The Big Sky
44. Ride the High Country
45. Open Range
46. The Westerner
47. Last of the Mohicans
48. The Shootist
49. Destry Rides Again
50. The Professionals
51. Tall in the Saddle
52. Ride Lonesome
53. The Plainsman
54. Cat Ballou
55. The Tall T
56. Jesse James
57. Little Big Man
58. Riders of the Purple Sage
59. The Alamo
60. The Far Country
61. Three Godfathers
62. Appaloosa
63. Forty Guns
64. 3:10 to Yuma
65. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
66. Sergeant Rutledge
67. Little Big Horn
68. Seven Men From Now
69. Santa Fe Trail
70. The Paleface
71. Angel and the Badman
72. Duel in the Sun
73. How the West was Won
74. The Big Trail
75. Paint Your Wagon
76. Tombstone
77. Hearts of the West
78. Hang `em High
79. Ten Wanted Men
80. The Virginian
81. Lone Star
82. Run of the Arrow
83. The Vanishing American
84. The Outlaw Josey Wales
85. Jeremiah Johnson
86. Cowboy
87. Barbarosa
88. One-Eyed Jacks
89. Bad Company
90. Ramrod
91. The Long Riders
92. The Missing
93. Four Faces West
94. The Ballad of Little Jo
95. The Covered Wagon
96. No Name on the Bullet
97. Brokeback Mountain
98. Western Union
99. Support Your Local Sheriff
100. The Kentuckian

Got a ways to go!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:

Got a ways to go!

27. Rio Bravo is one of my favourite westerns (the remake, El Dorado, is also a good one, but it's not on that list).

And 11. Stagecoach is a must for the Yakima Canutt stunts!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:

So how'd you feel about The Searchers, Rocket? (I haven't actually seen The Shootist...I know it's supposed to be good, but I'm not really that familiar with non-Ford Wayne, much of the Hawks stuff aside. Rio Bravo is incredible.)

Montana Smith

The Shootist is a great movie, but sad as it addresses the real-life issue of cancer that plagued Wayne for years. So much so that many of the long shots of him riding in his 1960s movies (and even the close-ups from the back) were his stunt double.

I recently re-watched Rio Bravo, (Hatari), El Dorado, True Grit, Chisum, Cahill U.S. Marshal and Rooster Cogburn back to back - despite his health problems Wayne still manages to show 'true grit'.

Attila the Professor said:
So how'd you feel about The Searchers, Rocket?
After seeing Raiders on the big screen again, sort of sad I didn't/can't see it on the big screen. The vistas were gorgeous...

Tackling the idea of pale faced girls raised in tribes was done well for the most part. Didn't see Dances with Wolves but considered it...briefly. John Wayne has a face sutible enough for a Spielberg close up. I'm a fan of Jesus/Captain Pike so it was odd but welcome to see him as Martin Pawley. Jeff Hunter did a fine job. I can really identify with the way Ethan Edwards makes no bones about calling a spade a spade and being torn between his instinct/inclinations and his actual behavior.

A characterization I see in many John Wayne roles, and I like it.

Shooting the eyes out of the Indian was pretty hardcore too...

Attila the Professor said:
I haven't actually seen The Shootist...I know it's supposed to be good, but I'm not really that familiar with non-Ford Wayne, much of the Hawks stuff aside. Rio Bravo is incredible.)
Montana Smith said:
The Shootist is a great movie
There were a bit of deja vu with Unforgiven...which basically took the role of the newspaperman in the shootist and expanded it with Mr DuChamp.

The Shootist was a fine western...pushing the idea of the encroaching modern world and sadly confined to a burgeoning town. No grand vistas here, but some stand out performances. Love Scat Man and Opie went hardcore!(y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
The Shootist was a fine western...sadly confined to a burgeoning town. No grand vistas here, but some stand out performances.

Rio Bravo is similar, in that it's focussed on the town, but it's the performances and the situation that make it work so well.

Montana Smith said:
Rio Bravo is similar, in that it's focussed on the town, but it's the performances and the situation that make it work so well.
Intentional or not, the death of the old west, the western, the gunfighter, the actor all worked well...John Wayne's grin a bear it was an interesting offset as well as Harry Morgan's "forward thinking" Marshall Thibido.

oki9Sedo

Rocket Surgeon said:
After seeing Raiders on the big screen again, sort of sad I didn't/can't see it on the big screen. The vistas were gorgeous...

Tackling the idea of pale faced girls raised in tribes was done well for the most part. Didn't see Dances with Wolves but considered it...briefly. John Wayne has a face sutible enough for a Spielberg close up. I'm a fan of Jesus/Captain Pike so it was odd but welcome to see him as Martin Pawley. Jeff Hunter did a fine job. I can really identify with the way Ethan Edwards makes no bones about calling a spade a spade and being torn between his instinct/inclinations and his actual behavior.

A characterization I see in many John Wayne roles, and I like it.

Shooting the eyes out of the Indian was pretty hardcore too...

Always interested to hear a new opinion of The Searchers. I really think very highly of that film. Its got what I like to call the "classic triad" - great story, characters and setting.

oki9Sedo said:
Always interested to hear a new opinion of The Searchers. I really think very highly of that film. Its got what I like to call the "classic triad" - great story, characters and setting.
I could go on...:D

It was odd seeing Jeff Hunter playing a role that wasn't iconic, but it didn't take long to shake the feeling. He wasn't predictable. (to me) and the humor (especially regarding the courting of Laurie) was well done/natural. I was SHOCKED how he sent his "wife" packing, so to say.

As shocked as the tone Ethan set with his treatment of the dead.

I'm always happy to see the Rev. Capt/Father Lonigan, along with Charlie McCorry/Dermot Fahey...I always think of Mr Roberts and The Quiet Man.

Natalie Wood is pretty but her "acting" was pretty weak.

Forbidden Eye

Just saw an obscure film today:

The Hearts of the West(1975)
Starring Jeff Bridges, Andy Griffith and Alan Arkin

Okay, its more of a film about movie-making than an actual western, but worth watching, just to see Jeff Bridges as a cowboy decades before playing Rooster Cogburn!

been working on a double feature of "Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter" and "Billy the Kid vs. Dracula" for the local horror hosted movie show im a part of.

both of those are pretty brutal.

Raiders90

The Gunfighter (1950)

Anyone else like this 1950 Western starring Gregory Peck?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoo

Looking for some help...

I'm on a quest for films where a man is being dragged by a rope behind a stagecoach or some horses. (I have "Stagecoach", "Zorro Rides Again" and "Zorro's Fighting Legion" but am looking for others with an actual rope.)

Do any of you have some suggestions?:confused:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
I'm on a quest for films where a man is being dragged by a rope behind a stagecoach or some horses. (I have "Stagecoach", "Zorro Rides Again" and "Zorro's Fighting Legion" but am looking for others with an actual rope.)

Do any of you have some suggestions?:confused:

Do an IMDB search of films featuring Yakima Canutt...

Stoo

Nah, that guy has worked on an insane amount of films! The 3 that I mentioned above are his most famous stunts but I'm looking for specific titles (whether Yakima is in them or not).

I *think* there's a guy being dragged behind a stagecoach in a Lone Ranger film with Clayton Moore but I can't remember which one.:(