TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #101
sandiegojones
IndyFan
 
sandiegojones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
Why do you just keep repeating yourself???
Because he's a douche. He feels he has to force his opinion on everyone else because he has "little pen!s" syndrome. Most people I know like KOTCS. Especially the ones over 35 who usually don't post on the internet.

Anyway....

The jungles are very different. Why does one have to look the same as the other just because it's Indy. You can go to Africa or other countries with jungles and you'd see a variety. The type of jungle in Raiders would not have worked for the chase in KOTCS.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 PM   #102
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
@sandiego
According to your Wife my ***** is much bigger than yours!

Yes, maybe they like "Skull" but the still think it's the worst of the Indy Movies. Check out Imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazine. The majority of people think so....

AGREE: The jungles are different. In Raiders it's real jungle in Skull it's a fictitious jungle, one with its own look, layout and laws of physics, that only exists inside the computers at ILM.
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 PM   #103
James
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
The type of jungle in Raiders would not have worked for the chase in KOTCS.

And the reason it wouldn't have worked is because it's no longer 1981. They had difficulty finding a suitable jungle because today's environmental restrictions are much tighter, and prevented them from destroying any trees.

Since they couldn't carve out the 'roads' they needed to film on, it became a choice between cgi enhancement or filming on a giant soundstage.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 PM   #104
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
@james
Oh... you mean there is no more real jungle on this planet? Come on...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #105
James
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@james
Oh... you mean there is no more real jungle on this planet? Come on...

No, there's plenty of jungles...you just can't go around destroying them. So assuming they could've returned to the same spot they used in ROTLA- they couldn't have bulldozed out the area that would've been required for the lengthy vehicle chase.

This is an issue that was covered in the recent "Complete Making Of" book, and one (I thought) I explained fairly clearly in my post.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #106
AtomicAge
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Raiders: REAL Jungle

Skull: REAL Jungle filmed BUT: At the ILM offices, Helman and his team meshed the Hawaiian footage with the Brazilian and Argentinian imagery, ADDING huge swathes of flora using a new digital-effects technique. The result is a fictitious jungle, one with its own look, layout and laws of physics, that only exists inside the computers at ILM.

Anyone hear a broken record?
AtomicAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 AM   #107
Jones Disciple
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 38
I donít think the problem with KOTCS is the CGI or Kaminski itís just that the film lacked some of the magic that the old ones had and the look of the film is not the reason why. Temple and Crusade have many effects that donít look real and you donít here many people complaining about it.

I like KOTCS and I am glad they made it. For me it comes in a respectable fourth place but did anyone seriously think it would overtake Raiders or Crusade? I know there are some who love Temple and think it is the best of the series. I am sure many of them didnít think KOTCS was going to be better then their favorite? The first three are classics and a product of a much younger Spielberg, Lucas and Ford. It is a tall order to expect a new film to capture the same feelings that the old ones did especially since many involved in the production have changed since the 80s like many of us have.

I just hope that Indy 5 gets closer and not farther away and I think it will be the story and tone that will determine if that happens or not.
Jones Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 AM   #108
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
...you just can't go around destroying them

Well, the did it! Check out the videos on the official page. BUT: They added huge swathes of flora by using a new digital-effects technique. That's the reason why the jungle looked in many scenes like a Playstation Jungle...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:57 AM   #109
Darth Vile
IndyFan
 
Darth Vile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Well, the did it! Check out the videos on the official page. BUT: They added huge swathes of flora by using a new digital-effects technique. That's the reason why the jungle looked in many scenes like a Playstation Jungle...

Firstly, they didn't add "huge swathes of flora". It was, on the whole, quite subtle. Secondly, the only shots in the jungle chase that look overtly "fake" are the ones that are shot against blue screen e.g. some of Mutt's sword fight with Spalko, Spalko/Marion in the duck etc. There are plenty of obvious blue screen shots in the other three... So your argument doesn't really hold up.

Finally - If people genuinely like KOTCS, where is the sense of victory (or whatever it is you seek), in making leaps of logic to assume it's the “fourth worst Indy movie"? The inference from that conclusion you state on EVERY TOPIC, is that all Indy movies are bad... and because your logic is pathologically skewed, you don't even get that your sh*tting on the other movies you like… I find it odd coming from someone who claims to be the "biggest fan".
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:09 AM   #110
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
I think Sankara has a point, but it's being lost a bit in translation. The "fourth worst movie" can't be what he means as we know it. I think he means KotCS is the fourth best! That would a more diplomatic way to put it. I think he is suffering my syndrome - 'Raiderus Disappointeous'. This is a more-than-slight affliction of expectation when it comes to Indiana Jones sequels and hoping we are going to see another film on the same level as RotLA.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #111
sandiegojones
IndyFan
 
sandiegojones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@sandiego
According to your Wife my ***** is much bigger than yours!

Yes, maybe they like "Skull" but the still think it's the worst of the Indy Movies. Check out Imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazine. The majority of people think so....

AGREE: The jungles are different. In Raiders it's real jungle in Skull it's a fictitious jungle, one with its own look, layout and laws of physics, that only exists inside the computers at ILM.
Whatever. You must be like 11 years old right?

You keep posting the same sentence. You must be copying and pasting. I guess you can't type too much since you have to wipe the drool from your mouth and adjust your helmet.

Not everyone uses imdb or empire magazine (especially in the USA). The CRITICS at rottentomatoes gave mostly positive reviews. Most people who post online are teens. I do not consider the posters on those sites to be reliable or indicative of the mass opinion. There are plenty of other sites that had positive reviews. comingsoon.net did a poll when Indy came out and they had a 75% positive rating from their readers. Theraider.net had one too and 80% were positive. Why do you discount those polls?

My parents saw Indy 4 for the first time this weekend and loved it. More so than TOD. They lived in the 50's (like the filmmakers did) so they got the references, in-jokes and nostalgia. I think young people are too ignorant to know exactly what KOTCS was going for. Indy was made for people like my parent (people who were in their 20's & 30's when ROTLA came out), whether or not a 15 year old likes it is inconsequential.

If it's any consolation, "most people here think you are the worst poster on this website".

Last edited by sandiegojones : 10-23-2008 at 11:02 AM.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #112
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
@sandiego
I must be like 11 years old? You came up with this ***** thing...

My parents saw Indy 4 for the first time in may. They said... "okay... but not enough for an Indy-Movie. "Last Crusade" is better!" And this what majority of people think... we've got many-many indikators...

You said rottentomatoes gave mostly positive reviews. That's right: But the reviews of "Raiders", "Temple" and "Crusade" are better. According rottentomatoes it's the worst Indy-Movie.

Fact is "Skull" was not made for people in the age of your parents or my parents.

@Darth Vile
What? All Indy-Movies are bad? Well, I will defend "my" movies for the rest of my life. If somebody is saying: "Hey, Dennis! Quatermain with Chamberlain is much better than "Raiders", "Temple" or "Crusade"!! I will answere: "Well, this is YOUR opnion! I'm fine with your opinon BUT "Indy 1 - 3" ARE better than Quatermain with Chamberlain. According to the critics and polls. You have to live with this!"

Well, If anybody thinks "Jaws 4" is better than "Jaws! Fine... okay... it's his opinion but "Jaws" is the better movie...

If anybody thinks the new Star Wars-Movies are better than the old ones
Fine... okay... it's his opinion but the old Star Wars-Movies are better movie...

Same here with the true Indy-Movies "Raiders", "Temple" ,"Crusade" and "Skull".
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #113
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan
 
WeAreGoingToDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 379
Does Sankara have a job?
WeAreGoingToDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #114
sandiegojones
IndyFan
 
sandiegojones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,251
@Sankara

I was not being childish in stating you have "little pen!s disorder". I was using psychology to analyze the comments in your posts. The fact that you feel you must post the same thing every day, twenty times a day to make yourself feel better reeks of insecurity.

It's like an old guy buying a Porsche to get young girls or short guys who guys who buy monster trucks. They are trying to "compensate" for what they lack. The fact that you are always on offense here is similar. I wasn't stating you in fact have a little schlong (how the hell would I know), just that the manner in which you post comes across that way.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #115
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
My parents saw Indy 4 for the first time this weekend and loved it. More so than TOD. They lived in the 50's (like the filmmakers did) so they got the references, in-jokes and nostalgia. I think young people are too ignorant to know exactly what KOTCS was going for.

Well, I was born in 1974 but I can enjoy "Braveheart"...


@WeAreGoingToDie
Yes! What about your job?
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #116
sandiegojones
IndyFan
 
sandiegojones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Well, I was born in 1974 but I can enjoy "Braveheart"...

@WeAreGoingToDie
Yes! What about your job?

I was born in 1979 (my B-Day was yesterday actually). What has that go to do with it? KOTCS and Braveheart are different.

The B-movies of the 1950's are not frequently shown on TV (and if they are I don't think that kids would get the references to communism, atomic fear and mind control that the aliens in those films represented) and much about the time is not known to younger people (20 and under) who pay to see movies these days.

Even though I'm 29 I know a lot about the 50's. I went to film school and have seen a lot of those old B-movies and I also studied history so I know about the Soviets, communism and McCarthyism. I also listen to Elvis and like hot rods so KOTCS appeals to me in a big way!

BTW, I work for a bank so things are a bit slow now which is why I'm here.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #117
Darth Vile
IndyFan
 
Darth Vile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@Darth Vile
What? All Indy-Movies are bad? Well, I will defend "my" movies for the rest of my life. If somebody is saying: "Hey, Dennis! Quatermain with Chamberlain is much better than "Raiders", "Temple" or "Crusade"!! I will answere: "Well, this is YOUR opnion! I'm fine with your opinon BUT "Indy 1 - 3" ARE better than Quatermain with Chamberlain. According to the critics and polls. You have to live with this!"

Well, If anybody thinks "Jaws 4" is better than "Jaws! Fine... okay... it's his opinion but "Jaws" is the better movie...

If anybody thinks the new Star Wars-Movies are better than the old ones
Fine... okay... it's his opinion but the old Star Wars-Movies are better movie...

Same here with the true Indy-Movies "Raiders", "Temple" ,"Crusade" and "Skull".

What are you going on about???
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #118
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan
 
WeAreGoingToDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 379
I'm avoiding this whole hornets nest.




So.... Kaminski?
WeAreGoingToDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #119
Darth Vile
IndyFan
 
Darth Vile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
I think Sankara has a point, but it's being lost a bit in translation. The "fourth worst movie" can't be what he means as we know it. I think he means KotCS is the fourth best! That would a more diplomatic way to put it. I think he is suffering my syndrome - 'Raiderus Disappointeous'. This is a more-than-slight affliction of expectation when it comes to Indiana Jones sequels and hoping we are going to see another film on the same level as RotLA.

I think you are giving him too much benefit of a doubt... His English isn't that bad... He knows what he's stating... don't you Sankara?
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #120
James
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
You said rottentomatoes gave mostly positive reviews. That's right: But the reviews of "Raiders", "Temple" and "Crusade" are better. According rottentomatoes it's the worst Indy-Movie.

This argument has been thoroughly discredited several times already. None of those websites provide an accurate snapshot of how the previous three movies were received. The reason is simple: They feature reviews that are written from a modern perspective.

So what you're actually saying is that, in 20 years, KOTCS will likely be regarded even more fondly than it is today.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #121
Jones Disciple
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 38
Sankara- I have been reading your posts for quite sometime. You obviously had really high expectations that were never going to be reached by this film. I have good news though and I mean this with sincerity. I would suspect from your continual posting of hate towards ďSkullĒ that your expectations will be so low for Indy 5 that you will come here and claim that it is better than ďRaidersĒ after viewing it. At least I hope that is what happens for your sake. I have no doubt youíre a huge Indiana Jones fan and it is too bad you can not enjoy this last one.
Jones Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #122
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
@james
No, these polls are indicators. According to these indikators and to the critics "Skull" is the worst of the Indy Movies.

@Jones Disciple
No, I don't had high expectations. I had the expectation that the new movie is as good as the first three movies. Otherwise there was no need for this movie. I mean nobody want a lousy part four after a perfekt ending of the saga in part three?
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #123
Major West
IndyFan
 
Major West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Crystal Lake
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@Jones Disciple
No, I don't had high expectations. I had the expectation that the new movie is as good as the first three movies. Otherwise there was no need for this movie. I mean nobody want a lousy part four after a perfekt ending of the saga in part three?

I think it's time to accept the 4th movie as an official Indiana Jones movie.

Feel the love.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #124
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
@Mayor West
Why should we? It's not really an Indy-Movie.

Feel the love? Watch this movie again and watch the making of.
Spielberg's heart was NOT in this project! There is no love. I came away feeling that he did not want this picture made and he did not like the Alien storyline.

Maybe this one of the reason why this movie is so bad...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #125
Major West
IndyFan
 
Major West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Crystal Lake
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@Mayor West
Why should we? It's not really an Indy-Movie.

Feel the love? Watch this movie again and watch the making of.
Spielberg's heart was NOT in this project! There is no love. I came away feeling that he did not want this picture made and he did not like the Alien storyline.

Maybe this one of the reason why this movie is so bad...

Don't be silly, Spielberg loved making the forth movie. So much that they are thinking of doing a fifth movie. Maybe taking the whole family along for the ride next time.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.