Something that REALLY bothers me now on an emotional level

blueoakleyz

In the scene with (charlie was it?) he goes it's been a brutal past couple of years, first dad, then marcus.

On the statue of marcus it says he died in 1944. So if Henry Jones died first that means Indiana only got a few extra years with him. That sucks.

But the statue said 1839-1944. Marcus was 105 when he died??? And 99 in Last Crusade??

Indy's Fist

blueoakleyz said:
In the scene with (charlie was it?) he goes it's been a brutal past couple of years, first dad, then marcus.

On the statue of marcus it says he died in 1944. So if Henry Jones died first that means Indiana only got a few extra years with him. That sucks.

But the statue said 1839-1944. Marcus was 105 when he died??? And 98 in Last Crusade??
Man that Marcus, 98 years old in LC? No wonder he got lost in his own museum once!

Avilos

blueoakleyz said:
But the statue said 1839-1944. Marcus was 105 when he died??? And 99 in Last Crusade??

Are you sure of those dates? The plaque appears o briefly its hard to read.

KneelBeforeZod

blueoakleyz said:

That bothers you on "an emotional level"? Good grief. Maybe it said 1889 to 1944 (my guess). Maybe it said 1954. Maybe its just a movie and there was no Marcus Brody (just a theory I'm tossing around).

Z

UltimateManGod

I don't remember the first year on the statue, but I do know that several sources have pegged Marcus as dying in 1952. The Indypedia says that Marcus was dean of Marshall College from 1939 until 1944, so the first number is probably 1939. That means that the statue commemorates when Marcus was the dean of the school, not his entire lifetime.

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Marcus_Brody

blueoakleyz

KneelBeforeZod said:
That bothers you on "an emotional level"? Good grief. Maybe it said 1889 to 1944 (my guess). Maybe it said 1954. Maybe its just a movie and there was no Marcus Brody (just a theory I'm tossing around).

Z

The part about the father dying so early after Last Crusade is what bothered me on an emotional level. I loved that character.

1944 part is for sure

1889 isn't plausible, he even mentions being too old in the first movie

Avilos

ResidentAlien said:
The statue probably said 1939-1944 as the years he resided as dean over the school.

I think your right.

This is common at colleges and universities. At the college I went to they had a gallery of all the Deans from over the years. With the dates of the length of their tenures not their birth and death dates. These type of tributes are put up when a person retires not just when they die.

blueoakleyz

Avilos said:
I think your right.

This is common at colleges and universities. At the college I went to they had a gallery of all the Deans from over the years. With the dates of their tenures not their lives. These type of tributes are but up when a person retires not just when they die.

That's a relief then

did he work at the school or just the museum?

UltimateManGod

blueoakleyz said:
That's possible
I just don't see why they'd make a stutue for someone that's alive

It was dedicated after Marcus dies. Indy had to push for it. See the link in my earlier post in this thread.

Stoo

UltimateManGod said:
I don't remember the first year on the statue, but I do know that several sources have pegged Marcus as dying in 1952. The Indypedia says that Marcus was dean of Marshall College from 1939 until 1944, so the first number is probably 1939. That means that the statue commemorates when Marcus was the dean of the school, not his entire lifetime.

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Marcus_Brody
The statue says 1939. It's his dean years, absolutely. What are the several sources for 1952 as Marcus' death?
(No one should consider "Indypedia" as a source so Indy "pushing for it" is most likely fan speculation.)

metalinvader

Stoo said:
The statue says 1939. It's his dean years, absolutely. What are the several sources for 1952 as Marcus' death?
(No one should consider "Indypedia" as a source so Indy "pushing for it" is most likely fan speculation.)

This is all stated in the Ultimate Guide.