The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Raiders90

Why is this film considered so weak by quite a few people here? I liked it, personally, but I thought that Ian having a daughter was a bit strange and that the T-Rex attacking San Diego was a little over the top. But I remember when it came out. It was huge, especially among other 7 year olds at the time. For Christmas 1997, I got a bunch of Lost World related figures, a plastic version of the High Hide and the Trailer along with a plastic T-Rex.

Goonie

It's good on it's own, but boy did they ever change the stuff that was in Michael Crichton's book. I liked the Ingen vs BioSyn plot of the book better rather than the Ingen vs. Ingen plot. I hope for Jurassic Park 4 they bring back BioSyn.

Maybe if we're lucky with JP4, Dr. Grant will evade raptors by climbing into a lead-lined fridge...;)

Katarn07

I didn't even read the book and hated the movie. The cast of characters was lousy. The plot was lousy. The action scenes were lousy. That San Fransisco scene was even lousier than the other action scenes. Need I go on?

That's just my opinion of course. If you enjoy it, great. But I don't really think I can elaborate on why I thought all the above elements were lousy. I thought they were lousy when I first saw it in 4th grade, and I thought they were lousy when I was a freshman in highschool. Those are the only two times I bothered watching this movie. The only redeemable quality I can think of were Compies.

nezobiwan

Wow I feel really old... let's just say I loved the first JP movie when it came out and even at that time I was already too old to want any toys for it. Ha ha!

Lost World was a let down for me. Both the book and the movie. I explained the gist of it in the JP 3 thread, but basically it has to do with Malcolm.

#1 he dies in JP the book, so for him to show up in Lost World the book is illogical.

#2 Goldblum is not a leading man, in my opinion.

I did find that one line amusing... "Why does she always have to... touch?" Or something to that effect: Julianne Moore is going to pet a dinosaur in the scene.

TheMutt92

I know this seems to go against the general flow of things here on the boards, but I kinda liked the Lost World... even more than Jurassic Park. And I thought the San Diego sequence was brilliant (though I always did feel sorry for David Koepp's 'Unlucky Bastard').

DreamsOfDoom

Ahh Lost World, I remember going to Florida for the first time, and it just so happened that the movie came out when we went, so when we were there, I watched it with my family, and I enjoyed it immensely. I was 12 at the time, haha, I've rewatched it alot over the years... then I kinda stopped, and looking back on it now, I can completely understand why people didn't like it, but I will always enjoy it the most. Probably more so then the third or the first.
Also it was fun to see that movie, then afterward to run around in heavy rain fall, pretending like your in the movie (y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
<iframe width="660" height="395" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uvr1xiEaICU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A well-timed honest trailer.

I ****ing hate the Lost World. Steven Spielberg dogs Temple of Doom to this day, and yet this movie gets a "pass?"

Last edited:

Grizzlor

As a "running scared" film I guess it's okay. I personally hated it. I was utterly disappointed leaving the cinema. I thought Goldblum made no sense as the hero, and Julianne Moore's character was unbelievably unlikeable.

That being said, none of the sequels appeal to me. The original was more than a horror film, it had so much more.

Raiders90

featofstrength said:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-famously-terrible-movies-that-actually-dont-suck/

Still lackluster, but Jurassic 3 was less grating, more entertaining.

I'll be honest, to this day, JP3 remains one of the most disappointing cinema experiences I've ever had. I remember being on the more primitive internet and hearing all these awesome rumors about the upcoming JP3; Hearing Sam Neil, who I like as an actor and whose character I enjoyed, was coming back sent my hype through the roof....Then the movie came. It felt cheap, somehow, rushed, like a cheap parody of the first two. Granted, Vince Vaughn's character is unlikable in TLW, but Tea Leoni has to be the worst actress in the entire franchise. A teen kid holding his own for a month on an island of dinosaurs broke my suspension of disbelief as well. Also, one of the best elements from the original film was the arc of Grant and Ellie's relationship, by the end, you can tell Grant has warmed up to kids and their relationship has been strengthened...Only for them to completely break up and her have some other guy's kid. Replacing her with Nicolas Cages' creepy brother from Face/Off as Grant's partner...ugh...

TLW is a flawed film, aimed probably at the preteen and teen audience, so it's less intelligent and less profound than the original, but as an action thriller, it works. It isn't the masterpierce the original was, but it also isn't the farce III was.

IndyBuff

I rewatched the film recently and enjoyed it a bit more than I have previously. It's still disappointing and messy in many areas, especially the last 20 minutes, but I do think it's aged better than many may remember. It's just a shame they didn't follow the novel. The book has some truly terrifying and wonderful scenes that would have benefitted the film far more.

I like it a bit more as time goes on but it's still a movie that never reaches the full potential that it had. Then again, following something like Jurassic Park was a task that virtually no film could withstand.