Your Favorite little/rarely mentioned scenes.

Marshall2288

:eek:

...anyways....I like the scene where that one guy did that thing to the other guy and then...they went to the place with the things...yeeea

kongisking

Dr.Jonesy said:

I'm not being a prat...and I'm not emotionally invested and even I have complaints about every Indy film. I don't pester anyone, if I did, I'd be busy in the KOTCS forum. I was getting at that this thread shouldn't go down the path of being about one movie. You went ahead and made up some ridiculous statement, I disagreed because what you said is ridiculous and completely untrue. I'd say the same if you said that about TOD.

And now you're attacking MY priorities, and if you've seen how infrequent I am here, you'd know my priorities are not here. Do NOT judge my life or priorities, thank you. You don't know me so do not pretend to.

Sigh. Sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh.

I'm just gonna say this once:

Folks like you, Jonesy, make folks like me (supporters/defendants/apologists for KOTCS) look bad.

Brooke Logan

I like the scene when in Temple when Indy is looking for the secret entrance in Willie's room and she thinks he's there for her, and my favorite part in that scene is when he puts his hands on the statue's breast and Willie becomes irritated and says, "Hey, I'm right here". I love their entire non-love, or almost love, scene.:D

Dr.Jonesy

kongisking said:
Sigh. Sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh.

I'm just gonna say this once:

Folks like you, Jonesy, make folks like me (supporters/defendants/apologists for KOTCS) look bad.

Yeah, yeah. I'm horrible, I get it.

Nobody reply to anything else I've said or Vance's reply. I don't want a hijacked thread. I'm really sorry guys.

Last edited:

kongisking

Dr.Jonesy said:

Yeah, yeah. I'm horrible, I get it.

Nobody reply to anything else I've said or Vance's reply. I don't want a hijacked thread. I'm really sorry guys.

No, you're not. You're just too...enthusiastic.

Repeat to self: "Subtlety is my friend."

mattzilla2010

During the truck chase when the hapless Egyptian fella lands on the windshield. Rarely mentioned... by everyone but me that is. I think I've brought that bit up at least three times on the boards before. :p

It just gets me every time!

Orellana

I like the Boulder scene, an iconic symbol of Indy's adventurousness, then I like the fight in which he goes against the Thuggee and Charttar Lal, who gets pinned under the winch wheel so Willie doesn't get cooked alive. But notice, she was like twenty feet away from the lava, and comes up burnt free. Odd. And in the LC I admire the boat chase scene.

The Drifter

Orellana said:
I like the Boulder scene, an iconic symbol of Indy's adventurousness, then I like the fight in which he goes against the Thuggee and Charttar Lal, who gets pinned under the winch wheel so Willie isn't cooked alive. But notice she was like twenty feet away from the lava, and comes up burnt free. Odd. And in the LC I admire the boat chase scene.(y)

Great stuff! To me Crusade is all about the tank chase. Damn, Indy gets pounded in that one! Look how gritty and dirty he gets. So earthy and viscral, I love it!

Brooke Logan

I like the part in Last Crusade when Indy says to Elsa, "at least I let you tag along". A nice little reference to Temple when he says to Willie, "I'm allowing you to tag along". I liked that because we had our Raiders reference in that film with the painting on the wall, and now we got our Temple reference.

The Drifter

Indy's brother said:
That's fantastic! I'll be looking for that! There's something similarly missed by most (including myself until it was pointed out to me) in ROTLA. In the tavern after Indy thinks Marion has been blown to smithereens, Indy makes this funny facial expression at Belloq right before he seats himself. It's kind of the thing Ace Ventura has done, making a funny face while the other person is looking away....
Haha, yes. Belloq tells Indy to set down before he falls down, and Indy looks like he has a small spasm while gagging.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Indy's journey into the South American jungle at begining of Raiders, from the first time he appears in the title credit till he disarms Barranca and he comes out of the shadows. Excellent introduction!

Another introdactory scene that I love is from Last Crusade aboard the Coronado ship, wonderful piece of action with Indy fighting villains, bad weather and the sea! It aalso helps the artfact of the cross and of course John Williams wonderful music.

Also a scene that I love very much from Crusade with Indy climbing on the ledge of the Brunswald castle and throwing his whip on those cables to rescue his dad. Pure iconic scene of adventure.

Dr.Jonesy

Little Mentioned Scenes...hmm...let's see.

Raiders of the Lost Ark; I love how Indy puts the chalk in his pocket. Not sure why, always thought it was an odd little touch. I also really love the solemn look Indy has when his bluff is called by Belloq and he's surrounded by soldiers. I also often wonder how Indy is sitting in the little tube on the ship if he needs to pull himself up initially.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; Indy's little smirk/nod after 'Part time' is great. All of his interactions with Mutt are great in the first half, especially. I love the stunt where Indy jumps onto the second jeep and starts punching everyone, great stunt. Also the whole scene where they enter the waterfall and Indy is explaining things is great.

Last Crusade; That little scene where Indy/Elsa enter the room of caskets and Williams' musical score of 'Ah Rats' at the 1:07-1:27 mark comes in. Brilliant stuff, right there.

Temple of Doom; The way Indy gets up on the elephant is a great shot! Also when Indy goes to investigate the statue in the jungle and the music cue just resonates for a few seconds there. Great stuff. Also love Short Round's little one liner "That's all you better do...":p

mattzilla2010 said:
During the truck chase when the hapless Egyptian fella lands on the windshield. Rarely mentioned... by everyone but me that is. I think I've brought that bit up at least three times on the boards before. :p

That part is pretty funny, and I like how both Indy and the German laugh at it as well.

One part I really like is in the bar after Marion's 'death' and the monkey man gives the salute, the German does, then the monkey does, then the German does again and then figures out he just saluted a monkey.

Dr.Jonesy

mattzilla2010 said:

I think RiffTrax summed it up;

"The birth of Al-Qaida!"

:p

Orellana

mattzilla2010 said:

I agree. I just watched RotLA again,(today in fact) and that was the one part that I laughed at.:D

russds

Just remembered this little exchange between Willie and Indy.

Indy: There's no one here...
Willie: I'm here.

Indy's expression after that, is just awesome. It's like, get over yourself lady, we've moved on. :)

tumblr_m7evjxEAqt1rpdsnyo1_1280.jpg

Snapping this snap shot, I noticed Willie looks kind of crazy at that moment too, like desperate. "You want me, don't you!!??" :)

Dr.Jonesy

russds said:
Snapping this snap shot, I noticed Willie looks kind of crazy at that moment too, like desperate. "You want me, don't you!!??" :)

Willie in that shot = Obsessed Girlfriend Meme

Girlfriend.jpg

Stoo

How about "Never Mentioned Scenes"?

My favourite 'little/rarely mentioned scene' is in the category of 'never mentioned' and it's the part in "Raiders" where the German agents in Cairo are preparing the ambush on Indy. Two shots in particular:

1) The shot on the balcony where the camera pulls back into the room to show the team of assassins.
2) The shot where one of the agents steps into the middle of the street archway.

For such a minor part of the movie, the cinematographic finesse on display here, truly harkens back to the Golden Age of 1930s movie-making.(y)

I Don Quixote

Now I don't know if what I'm seeing is true, but when I first noticed this in Last Crusade, my heart broke a bit. Right after Henry Sr. gets shot, Indy looks as though his face is wet with tears. He just shows his love for his father, and it proves just how human he is.

But I guess it could also be sweat.

Palaceslave_82

A few things that stand out to me in Raiders:

*the little moment between Indy and Marion in Cairo where the monkey has jumped on her back on Sallah's terrace,and she turns, with it clinging to her face,finds Indy watching her,and sheepishly smiles. Its a nice moment of vulnerability for the otherwise tough character. The Williams cue is perfect here.

The cut from Sallah and Indy heaving the ark cover,sending it crashing against the stone steps,to Marion now fake-drunking Belloq.

When Indy is fighting the place mechanic and he gets punched,the gigantic spin he does before falling on his ass

Temple:

Willie eyeing Indy like he is a prime slab of beef when Lao introduces them;the sexy way she's tugging daintily at her sequinned costume gloves before heading over to park herself right next to him at the table. I assume from the sometimes direction-less scripts I've read these little touches might be Capshaw improv.

Indy's grunt when he slices the gong cords during the Obi-Wan melee,and the corresponding "chung-g-g" sound of it hitting the floor;just gets me amped up for the action.

When Marhan (the village elder) is leading them toward the meeting place,and in the background,Shorty is clearly trying pretty determinedly to hold Willie's hand,or intentionally harrass her in some way,like he's trying to put the moves on her; she keeps resisting, irritatedly jerking her arm back.

The little "jig" Willie does when they're approaching Pankot Palace, she's rubbing her aching bare feet in anticipation of the refuge only a few yards away; (this is moments after she chases their retreating guides down, pleading, "No,no,no,no no, oh baby elephant,stay here...o-h-h-h, Indyyyyy!They're stealing our rides!") The woman's comedic timing is pretty underrated.

After the mine chase, the gang outruns the flood of water, ducking into the side tunnel with a little chuckle,thinking they're safe-then-oh ****!

Crystal Skull:

Spalko's introduction, the sharply- spoken Russina command from off-screen that stops Dovchenko's fist inches from Indy's face.

Indy's " Come on, come on!" before he rams Spalko's jeep in the ass in the warehouse.

Mac: "You don't know 'im! YOU DON'T-KNOW 'IM!!" BOOM!

"Hold this!"- great payoff when Mutt dumps the moldy conquistador skeleton in Indy's arms to keep him from laying one on his mom

The familiar little smile Marion gives Indy when she plops into the passenger seat of the hijacked Russian truck, tired but excited to be back in action with him, (and still basking in the declaration of his love for her a second earlier). The little thread of the Marion theme is perfect.

"Get in! Jones!" great call back to Raiders,her calling him Jones.

The quick succession of shots of all of their feet, with the steps disappearing beneath them,right before they get dumped into the murky pit, (great suspenseful cue).