Marcus Brody

Do you like Marcus

• You like him

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • Totally C3-PO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Johnb02

Is it just me or is Marcus getting annoying? He has always been scared of everything. He spent most of LC captured. And he was on the tank and said, "All I want is to get off this thing!" Then gets punched off. Just too cheesy for me. Who else thinks he is the C3-PO of the Indy series?

Dr.Jonesy

In Raiders; I like him alot. Good character with potential.
In Crusade; a shadow of his former self; silly, smiley, goofy and used for comic relief.

I like him...just not so much in Crusade. The last 2 Indy films really did mess up on the returning Raiders characters somewhat.

AlivePoet

While they did butcher him a bit in Crusade, he still has some good moments: before Venice, especially, in Henry Sr.'s home, and while captured telling Donovan that he was messing with powers impossible to comprehend.

Also, Crusade sacrificed a bit of depth for every character to make it more of a light, comedic affair. It's most obvious with Sallah and Marcus but taken with the tone of the film, it's easier to accept, I think. If the film tonally remained serious like Raiders but still portrayed Marcus as an idiot, I'd have a bigger problem with it. As it stands, though, Crusade is much more of a comic adventure film, and the characters were written to fit that tone. Not saying I enjoy the compromising of Marcus' depth, but it doesn't really bother me when I consider the film as good fun that still packs the most heart of the three. Or is it four now? :p

Dr.Jonesy

AlivePoet said:
Not saying I enjoy the compromising of Marcus' depth, but it doesn't really bother me when I consider the film as good fun that still packs the most heart of the three. Or is it four now? :p
It's four.
:whip:

AlivePoet said:
While they did butcher him a bit in Crusade, he still has some good moments: before Venice, especially, in Henry Sr.'s home, and while captured telling Donovan that he was messing with powers impossible to comprehend.

Also, Crusade sacrificed a bit of depth for every character to make it more of a light, comedic affair.
All this is true, I suppose. I do wish they didn't take the comedic approach to 'Crusade'. But, oh well. Too late, now!
:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoo

Johnb02 said:
Is it just me or is Marcus getting annoying?
Many people feel that his character is silly in "Crusade", myself included. Check out this thread: Criticisms of Marcus in LC
Dr.Jonesy said:
I still can't forget listening to IndyCast #135 which had a panel discussion from a comic/sci-fi convention. Some doofus was complaining about Marcus in "Crusade" and said that, in "Raiders", Brody was a BADASS! A badass? Really? What movie was this guy watching?:confused:
AlivePoet said:
Also, Crusade sacrificed a bit of depth for every character to make it more of a light, comedic affair. It's most obvious with Sallah and Marcus but taken with the tone of the film, it's easier to accept, I think. If the film tonally remained serious like Raiders but still portrayed Marcus as an idiot, I'd have a bigger problem with it. As it stands, though, Crusade is much more of a comic adventure film, and the characters were written to fit that tone.
Good point, Poet, mon ami.:) Even Indiana Jones, himself, is a bit goofy in a couple of "Crusade" scenes.

Dr. Gonzo

Johnb02 said:
Is it just me or is Marcus getting annoying? He has always been scared of everything. He spent most of LC captured. And he was on the tank and said, "All I want is to get off this thing!" Then gets punched off. Just too cheesy for me. Who else thinks he is the C3-PO of the Indy series?
I thought he said, "How does one get off this thing?" :confused:
Stoo, keeper of all knowledge, a little help?

Anyway I dig Marcus. He was a father figure in Raiders but when dealing with a movie about Jones' dad that's a bit redundant. So they gave him two left feet. Fine by me.

Stoo

Dr. Gonzo said:
I thought he said, "How does one get off this thing?" :confused:
Stoo, keeper of all knowledge, a little help?
Correct, Gonz. That is what he said.

A bumbling Brody moment I absolutely enjoy is the cut to him at the train station after Indy finishes describing Marcus' ability to blend in. It made me laugh out loud in the theatre in '89.:D

Indy's brother

I love Marcus because of LC. I know lots of fans get all kinds of butthurt over this issue, but hey, Marcus had no real depth in ROTLA, and could have been played by practically anyone in that film. It was only in LC that his character yielded anything truly memorable. It's a credit to Denholm's acting chops that fans are divided on this topic. The exuberance with which he attacked the role that has become so divisive in the fan community is a testament to his dedication to the vision of the franchise. For that reason, I support his LC version of the character.

AlivePoet

Indy's brother said:
I love Marcus because of LC. I know lots of fans get all kinds of butthurt over this issue, but hey, Marcus had no real depth in ROTLA, and could have been played by practically anyone in that film. It was only in LC that his character yielded anything truly memorable. It's a credit to Denholm's acting chops that fans are divided on this topic. The exuberance with which he attacked the role that has become so divisive in the fan community is a testament to his dedication to the vision of the franchise. For that reason, I support his LC version of the character.

I wouldn't say there was no depth to Brody in Raiders. His scenes are brief but the ones he is in establish him as a mentor and probably once-great adventurer (perhaps not to the degree of Indy, but then who is?). We're led to believe he has a great depth of experience, a worldy-wise man. Crusade at the beginning pretty much added to that image, but once they leave the motherland it's like he becomes an out-of-place clueless tag-along, very little like what Raiders hints at his character being. I like his character in Crusade as well, but not for the same reason I like his character in Raiders.

Brooke Logan

I like him. And I liked his portrayal in Last Crusade. I haven't read all the posts about it but I was honestly shocked that anyone had a problem with him in LC. I thought he was great! I liked that despite him being a smart man, he has a little bit of the "absent-minded professor" persona when he's out in the thick of things. I found it very funny and cute. And not at all unbelievable. There are people who might be a genius in one aspect of their life and be totally out of their element in another.

I guess I never really gave much thought to what he was like in Raiders because he just wasn't in it that much.

But I never did see his portrayal in LC as damaging to the character but he provided laughs and he was a good sidekick/partner to Indy.

I guess it's the same thing I have with not understanding the Willie hate. I don't need my heroes/sidekicks to all be dynamic and without weaknesses, the weaknesses humanize them. The main criteria I want met for a hero/protagonist is that they be a good person, and Marcus (and Willie) met that criteria for me. JMO.

Johnb02

I still think Marcus was the C3-PO of the Indy series. I like him, just he gets really annoying. I don't know how Indy can stand his constant complaining.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Marcus had no real depth in ROTLA
It might seem that way because he had such a small role in "Raiders" but, in those few mintues, we can glean more knowlege about him than any other character in the series who shares a similar amount of screen time (ex. Lao Che, Blumburtt, Kazim, etc.)
Indy's brother said:
The exuberance with which he attacked the role that has become so divisive in the fan community is a testament to his dedication to the vision of the franchise.
Earning his paycheque might have something do with his "dedication" but I must disagree with your "vision of the franchise" statement. Vision of the character is more like it.;)
AlivePoet said:
I wouldn't say there was no depth to Brody in Raiders. His scenes are brief but the ones he is in establish him as a mentor and probably once-great adventurer (perhaps not to the degree of Indy, but then who is?). We're led to believe he has a great depth of experience, a worldy-wise man. Crusade at the beginning pretty much added to that image, but once they leave the motherland it's like he becomes an out-of-place clueless tag-along, very little like what Raiders hints at his character being.
It would appear that Marcus is not razor-sharp even at home, as per the dialogue in "Crusade". We are told that he got lost in his own museum and Henry Sr. said, "You didn't drag poor Marcus along, did you? He's not up to the challenge."

AndyLGR

Just watching TLC now on BBC and I'd always thought of Marcus as being bumbling throughout the film. Yet for the first half, until he meets sallah, hes actually quite serious and seemingly an integral part of Indys adventure as part of a partnership.

Wolfus

Dr.Jonesy said:
In Crusade; a shadow of his former self; silly, smiley, goofy and used for comic relief.

This. He looks like wise and respect-deserving character in RotLA but they changed him in some sort of idiot in LC :( I like him despite of it.

Crack that whip

Johnb02 said:

First of all, if your final sentence is referring to a certain gold-plated neurotic in a longago, faraway galaxy, it's C-3PO (or See-Threepio, or Threepio for short). Secondly, I love Marcus and I love Threepio, so a poll asking whether you either like Marcus or consider him like Threepio doesn't work for me (where's the option for "they're both awesome"? :p ). Finally, "getting" annoying? Putting aside the question of whether he's annoying or not, using "getting" sounds like you're referring to his appearance in a recent / current movie. Did you mean to post this in some other forum twenty-three years ago and just not get around to it until now, or what?

:p

In seriousness, I do have a hard time voting in this one, since I really do love both Marcus Brody and C-3PO. Technically the first option would work for me, since I do like Marcus and also disagree he's "totally" C-3PO, since the characterizations just aren't the same, but doing that would falsely suggest I don't care for Threepio, and I don't want to imply that; they're both very endearing characters to me.

In fact, Threepio is actually one of my two favorite Star Wars characters, Artoo being the other, and the two of them and Indy are my three favorite Lucas / Lucasfilm characters.