Die Hard 6

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I was just writing in another thread about weakening franchises like this one, their aging stars (Neeson, Stallone, Schwarzenegger), and foreign box office around 75-80%.

You should be thinking of Ford (possibly why you're here) also because this would be prequel with Bruce Willis bookends, set in New York 1979. Think Godfather III, The Warriors, Summer of Sam, Donnie Brasco. Like Die Hard 3 it sounds like an existing script with McClane shoehorned in.

Old Habits Die Hard?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:
Old Habits Die Hard?

John joins a coven.

VYCZ0Tu.png

Grizzlor

As long as it's not Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Looper was horrible). Then again, Lorenzo di Bonaventura has produced nothing but crud.

AndyLGR

I'm a big fan of the Die Hard series, but 5 was truly bad. In much the same way I didn't enjoy KOTCS I hope that if these franchises do make another entry that they go back to basics. Ditch the children and the passing of the torch themes, get back to the roots of what made those characters good and also make them vulnerable too.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea of a prequel DH6, but I'm open minded enough to give it a go, but I think Willis is so engrained as McClane that it could be difficult to pull off.

TheFedora

So its a prequel? Always makes me sort of iffy but lets see what actor they pick first for young McClane.

AndyLGR

TheFedora said:
So its a prequel? Always makes me sort of iffy but lets see what actor they pick first for young McClane.
The most important part of the film would be the new guy.

Pale Horse

Staff member
AndyLGR said:
The most important part of the film would be the new guy.

I nominate as Kyle Massey Sgt. Al Powell Jr.

Predictably he's a con, in jail, because of something in his past. How he's linked to the current situation will surprise even his godfather, John McClane.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A full page ad? Doesn't he know fan site bulletin boards are the most direct way to influence the filmmakers?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
51PRTI525bL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Death Wish remake looks pretty fun. But there's no guarantee Bruce Willis will have a significant role in what's currently called Die Hard: Year One, loosely based on this comic book set in the 1970s.

But if you want to go back to the 1990s, a great archived film news site is Corona. Here's their Die Hard 4 page. There were many unrealized scripts. The most interesting to me was Tears of the Sun (a title later applied to another movie) supposedly set in a jungle. If Die Hard 6 is set in a jungle 40 years ago it would essentially be an Indy flick, right? Also:
There were two other potential Die Hard 4 scripts floating around at one point, both called Die Hardest, both written on spec by Ben Trebilcook, and both rejected. One would have been set in Tokyo, where McClane’s son worked for the Nakatomi Corporation, while the other was set in the Caribbean, and would have seen McClane and his daughter fighting shipwreck looters.

curmudgeon

Saw Willis' interview on the Tonight Show last night, and he said he's about to fly to LA for a meeting, to see what shape the script is in.

If that goes well, news might not be far behind.

Since it's been so long after the initial reports, I do wonder if the prequel idea is still in play, or if they've shifted gears.

curmudgeon

Moedred said:
But there's no guarantee Bruce Willis will have a significant role in what's currently called Die Hard: Year One, loosely based on this comic book set in the 1970s.

Sounds like Willis' presence will be an even split.

In a recent Empire interview, producer Lorenzo DiBonaventura says: ?We want you to get invested in John McClane more than ever before. I don?t know how you do Die Hard without Bruce - the idea that he?s not very significant in this movie is not accurate at all. We are gonna explore John McClane in his twenties. But just as prominent is the 60-year-old version.?

He also revealed that the project is currently going by the title McClane.