Dark Horse Omnibus volume 2

G-Man

Are these different from the Vol 2 Omnibus Spear of Destiny?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Destiny-Vol-Indiana-Jones/dp/1599615770/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211409472&sr=1-61

51j9Jr8o0wL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Destiny-Vol-Indiana-Jones/dp/1599615789/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211409472&sr=1-62

51HmlY8-rvL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Destiny-Vol-Indiana-Jones/dp/1599615797/ref=sr_1_67?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211409472&sr=1-67

51vj6n-oiGL._SS500_.jpg

Indy fan 235

scottbravesfan said:
Weren't the Marvel comics just comic adaptations of the movies?

They did adaptations of the three fillms, but the series was also of new adventures of Indy. I really enjoyed the Marvel run. The first time I ever came across them was at a flea market at my grammar school in the gym. I didn't even know they existed before that and wound up buying a bunch. This was even back before Last Crusade came out, I think it was around 1987 or 1988.

Twilightpro101

I had one issue post-Raiders and particularly loved Marvel's take on the material, in regards to keeping Marion within the equation.

yodazone

Hey Jimmy, did you get shipped a promo poster from Diamond last week that features an Indiana Jones on it? One poster was sent per store.....

It's features the Dustin Weaver drawn Indiana Jones cover from the Previews catalog from a couple months ago..

About 24x32 in size....

JimmyPSHayes

yodazone said:
Hey Jimmy, did you get shipped a promo poster from Diamond last week that features an Indiana Jones on it? One poster was sent per store.....

It's features the Dustin Weaver drawn Indiana Jones cover from the Previews catalog from a couple months ago..

About 24x32 in size....
Yes sir. Actually, Jonathon at Dark Horse knows how much I'm promoting Indy, so he sent me a few of them. My front windows are plastered with them!

yodazone

JimmyPSHayes said:
Yes sir. Actually, Jonathon at Dark Horse knows how much I'm promoting Indy, so he sent me a few of them. My front windows are plastered with them!

That's great! I tried Dark Horse myself but they mentioned the posters had a limited run and are out of them. I tried getting the one from my local comic shop but the owner looked like he wanted to hang on to his poster. Can't blame him....it's a great Indy poster!

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

I bought this one mistakenly thinking it was the old Marvel Omnibus.

But I was pleased to find the Spear of Destiny story, which I had been interested in reading....

.....until I actually read it.

Hooo boy, was that CRAP!

Absolutely awful. I stopped about 2/3 of the way through, it was just awful on every level.

Are the other stories as terrible?

DH Indy

To be honest, the Dark Horse stories were good in concept but never really that great in execution...even Fate of Atlantis, IMHO. The latest, Tomb of the Gods, started off great. It was absolutely the best Indy comic available until the final issue, where the artist changed and the story felt rushed. It was almost as if the creative team wasn't sure how to end the story and just threw together something to tie up the loose ends. Or perhaps the script called for a slightly longer ending, but they had to edit it down to a single issue to meet the four issue page limit. Either way, it is still the best of the DH comics. Once again, my honest opinion.

Joosse

As long as you don't expect them to be as good as the movies, these can be a fun read.

The Marvel ones read like nostalgia to me. I prefer the DH ones.

But I have to agree with Lance though, I found Spear especially dissapointing.

Lance Quazar

punisher5150 said:
To be honest, the Dark Horse stories were good in concept but never really that great in execution...even Fate of Atlantis, IMHO. The latest, Tomb of the Gods, started off great. It was absolutely the best Indy comic available until the final issue, where the artist changed and the story felt rushed. It was almost as if the creative team wasn't sure how to end the story and just threw together something to tie up the loose ends. Or perhaps the script called for a slightly longer ending, but they had to edit it down to a single issue to meet the four issue page limit. Either way, it is still the best of the DH comics. Once again, my honest opinion.

I never liked "Tomb of the Gods", but especially the last issue. I thought it was terribly mediocre.

Compared to "Spear of Destinty", though, it's friggin' Citizen Kane. Egads, that was awful.

Lance Quazar

Joosse said:
As long as you don't expect them to be as good as the movies, these can be a fun read.

The Marvel ones read like nostalgia to me. I prefer the DH ones.

But I have to agree with Lance though, I found Spear especially dissapointing.

I've read a bunch of single issue Marvel stuff and I VASTLY prefer them to the Dark Horse offerings I've read (which, granted, are limited to Tomb of the Gods and the lamentable Spear of Destiny.)

If I can persuade my local comic shop owner that my recent purchase was made in error, I will try to trade the Darkhorse Vol 2 for the Marvel ones.

For my money, the best Indy comic is STILL "Indiana Jones Adventures Volume 1". It's terrific!!!

Lance Quazar

Whew. Fortunately, I was able to return this monstrosity to the comic book store in exchange for the Marvel Omnibus Vol 2.

Lance Quazar said:
I bought this one mistakenly thinking it was the old Marvel Omnibus.

But I was pleased to find the Spear of Destiny story, which I had been interested in reading....

.....until I actually read it.

Hooo boy, was that CRAP!

Absolutely awful. I stopped about 2/3 of the way through, it was just awful on every level.

The only part anyone has to read of The Spear of Destiny to know that it's terrible is the first page, where a thought bubble features Henry Jones, Sr. lamenting the loss of the Holy Grail literally as he's telling Indy about how he found "illumination." Talk about missing the point.

Indy Adventures Vol 1

Hands down, THE BEST Indy comic. Vol. 2 was such a letdown. I was really hoping DH would continue that series.

As for the other DH comics, they are worth the cover price alone for the awesome art on the covers (except Tomb of the Gods 4, what a crappy cover for that one after 3 very good covers. What happened with that last issue? All around poor ending, poor art, etc.)