Disneyland Paris - Temple of Peril

acsgrlie

I recently got the chance to go to Euro Disney for the day in Paris and was surprised and excited to see they have their own Indiana Jones ride- Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril

dsc01607cw3.jpg

dsc01608mf7.jpg

The ride

dsc01610zu7.jpg

Some tents you pass by while waiting in line

indyclone25

oh yeah they have had the ride for a few years, my father in law went there and he picked up a book from the gift shop that was there ---- heres to hoping i can get there someday

inky_skin

Cool. I'm at Disney Resort Paris next month - is there any Indy merchandise worth picking up there ?

Stoo

acsgrlie said:
I recently got the chance to go to Euro Disney for the day in Paris...

Some tents you pass by while waiting in line
I was there in April and was really disappointed in the ride. It originally went BACKWARDS and there wasn't enough Indy stuff!
Thanks for your tent photo because I missed the hat & whip when I used the Fast Pass to jump most of the line.:eek:
(Technically, it's now called Disneyland Paris. They don't use the EuroDisney name anymore. Just thought I'd let you know.;) )

Here's a good video of the "Temple du Péril" experience:
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=I7ZOBQQT

inky_skin said:
Cool. I'm at Disney Resort Paris next month - is there any Indy merchandise worth picking up there ?
There is a booth along the path to the area but the merchandise they were selling (late April '08) was pitiful.:(
Have a fun stay. I recommend the Jules Verne-esque, Space Mountain 2 and Tower of Terror in the Universal lot.
What blew me away the most was the FULL SIZE re-creation of the Hyperion dirigible from "Island at the Top of the World"!(y)
(Look on your map for Café Hyperion and you'll see. Don't forget to go inside to see the rest! It's not too far from the
Nautilus/Space Mountain 2.)

inky_skin

Stoo said:
There is a booth along the path to the area but the merchandise they were selling (late April '08) was pitiful.:(

Hmmm - doesn't bode well, but thanks for the tips everyone.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Such a bizarre choice. Obviously, rebuilding it would be cheaper than, say, putting in the Indiana Jones Adventure, but I doubt it would be missed too much.

Olliana

Oh hey, I was there in June and took a shot at Temple du Peril for the first time. I was kind of disappointed in the pre-show decor (the hat lying on the box inside the tent doesn't even look like Indy's fedora), so I hope they will improve that as well - though I highly doubt it.

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
Such a bizarre choice. Obviously, rebuilding it would be cheaper than, say, putting in the Indiana Jones Adventure, but I doubt it would be missed too much.

No, bizarre is Disneyland Resort Paris recreating a corner of Paris complete with fully functioning Gusteau's! Remi's Totally Crazy Adventure will be the Parisian version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Still, it is a head scratcher. Paris seemingly has a bunch of room for expansion beyond the berm, so it's not like they're strapped for room. There's no Jungle Cruise to contend with (weather, of course), and, outside of Pirates of the Caribbean, there's no real rides in Adventureland.

p7001.jpg

If memory serves, and it should, that's a fairly accurate portrayal of Adventureland's footprint. The large red-roofed building in the bottom-left is the former Explorer's Club. It has long since be re-christened "Colonel Hathi's Pizza Outpost." Natch.

There should be ample space directly to the North of the Temple's current footprint, but we'll have to wait and see. Rebuilding the temple without touching the underlying ride, however, would be a horrible waste of time.

A quick tour 'round the net indicates that the park is falling apart piece by piece.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
No, bizarre is Disneyland Resort Paris recreating a corner of Paris complete with fully functioning Gusteau's! Remi's Totally Crazy Adventure will be the Parisian version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Yeah. Sounds like it's supposed to be a fine ride, but it's got a whiff of the old "Visit Hollywood, down the street from Hollywood, at Disney's California Adventure!" about it.

Le Saboteur said:
There should be ample space directly to the North of the Temple's current footprint, but we'll have to wait and see. Rebuilding the temple without touching the underlying ride, however, would be a horrible waste of time.

I've been given to understand in the past that room was left for the Indiana Jones Adventure to be added later on, but when the first couple years of the park were not as successful as hoped, as much due to over-building of hotels as anything else, that sort of expansion was abandoned.

Le Saboteur said:
A quick tour 'round the net indicates that the park is falling apart piece by piece.

Yeah. I don't keep that informed on that side of things, but it's in less than ideal shape, financially and physically. Sounds like there are some efforts towards growth these days, though, with the two projects mentioned above and refurbishments of all the hotels in the past few and coming years.

Stoo

It looks like the styrofoam and concrete construction methods used to balance the budget at Disneyland Paris may have caused some problems twenty years later.

Indiana Jones Temple of Peril will be destroyed and rebuilt entirely in REAL STONE, and the looping track will also be rebuilt! Construction should start next year and take five months.
The temple is the most impressive thing about that ride so I'm sure it'll look even better built from actual stone.

As for the track, they should make the coaster go backwards again (I wonder why they changed it). If they really got ambitious, it could be rigged so that each cart would be followed by another, complete with rifle-bearing, animatronic Thugs that you can see in pursuit while riding backwards. Add some sound & pyrotechnic effects in certain places to simulate gunshots and it would be more than just an average coaster.

Or maybe that's a pipe dream for Attila's thread: Indyland?

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
The temple is the most impressive thing about that ride so I'm sure it'll look even better built from actual stone.

Still looks like concrete and chicken wire to me. It's be gussied up recently (which in itself is funny), but it's still a terrible, terrible ride. Aside from some slightly above average theming the actual ride is something you would find at your county fair. If the DLRP continues to do well hopefully park management will revisit this waste of space.

The ideas were out there.

lao-che.jpg

Disney & More said:
Remember Lao-Che Airlines in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? So this idea of theming should mean something for you. For years a real plane - a Dakota - was backstage and stayed there for at least ten years under rains and winds. The plane was originally bought when entertainment was thinking about doing a Indy Stunt Show but that never happened. After opening, Imagineers wanted to put the plane in the open space on the left side of the railroad track before the train enters the tunnel of Pirates in the Caribbean. There is a jeep and tent there but they wanted to expand it. I've been told that Entertainment division had other plans for the Dakota plane so unfortunately that idea died. One day i noticed that the plane has disappeared from backstage, i asked what happened to it and if i remember it well i think i was told that because he stayed outside all these years it was in such bad condition that it had been throw away!!

Check out the blog at Disney & More for the full article, plus some concept art featuring various other scenes that the Imagineers wanted to put in, but were denied by the sharp pencil boys. Imagineering even wanted to a second, yes, second temple!

indytwo.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
it's still a terrible, terrible ride. Aside from some slightly above average theming the actual ride is something you would find at your county fair.
Or worse. I visited in 1994 soon after it opened, then I saw the complex roller coasters the Germans temporarily assembled for Oktoberfest. A loop at a kid-friendly park seemed novel, though.