General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

tnswman

This is from Fox news.

Lucas: 'Indy 5' a Possibility

George Lucas tells me it?s more than a strong possibility there will be a fifth "Indiana Jones." He says that he and director Steven Spielberg have left the door open for a sequel to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Lucas, looking dandy with slicked-back gray and white hair in a snappy tuxedo, was a guest Thursday night at Paramount/DreamWorks?s party for "Kung Fu Panda" at the 61st Cannes Film Festival.

The swell event was set up on the pier across from the Carlton Hotel, where the studio spared no expense recreating sets and treating guests to haute Chinese cuisine. There was even one of the 40 pandas from the publicity stunt the day before, dancing in the crowd to Carl Carlton?s old hit "Kung Fu Fighting."

Lucas had a lot to say about the new "Indy" and its future.

"I haven?t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

"And it?s not like Harrison is even old. I mean, he?s 65 and he did everything in this movie. The old chemistry is there, and it?s not like he?s an old man. He?s incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me."

Lucas says he?s not concerned about early mixed buzz on "Crystal Skull."

"This movie is the exact same experience as the other three were. The difference is, the novelty of discovery is gone. I get worried when I hear fans say they?re expecting something different that will change their lives. This is 'Indiana Jones' just as you remember him."

But that?s exactly the gamble Spielberg and Lucas took with reviving their icon. Expectation grows into a frenzy and then no one in that frame of mind can be satisfied.

You already can see this with "Sex and the City: The Movie" and it hasn't even opened everywhere. Fans and even some critics want some transcendent experience. They almost seem upset that all they got was ? "Sex and the City."

Lucas has been here before, when he revived and extended the "Star Wars" series. The build-up to the release of the fourth installment (aka now Chapter 1), "Phantom Menace," was huge until it reached a fever pitch. Then, almost before it could be absorbed, "Phantom Menace" became the target of scorn from fanatics. Computer-generated character Jar Jar Binks was public enemy No. 1.

But "Star Wars" continues to thrive. In August, Lucas says, he?s releasing an animated 90-minute "Star Wars" movie to theaters via Warner Bros. called "Clone Wars." It will be followed in September by an animated series on the Cartoon Network and TNT.

"No one wanted it," he told me. "Every studio rejected it, including Fox, and I?m very loyal to them. They have right of first refusal. Eventually I brought it to Warners. It?s the first time that three components of the studio have acted together. It?s very exciting.

"But the story is that everyone said, 'No one gets this. It?s just ? 'Star Wars.'' I said, 'That?s right, It?s just 'Star Wars.' Just like this is ? 'Indiana Jones.''"

Oh, yes, and by the way: If "Crystal Skull" breaks records when it opens on May 22, Lucas could wind up having his name on a fourth title in the all-time box office top 10 (it would be Spielberg?s second).

"But these movies ? the 'Indiana Jones' ones ? were never big hits right away. They were always slow starters that built up to big numbers," Lucas insisted.

I don?t think that will be the case with this one. And the notion that a sequel already is playing around in his head should only fuel the heady numbers about to be posted.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356282,00.html

The Man

That's not Indiana Jones 5. That Mutt Williams 1.5. Ford should flat-out refuse such a demotion.

tnswman said:
"I haven’t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

Harrison guest starring in an Indy movie?!?!?! Further proof Lucas has lost his mind!!!

The Man

I never thought I could feel this way, but maybe a flop for Crystal Skull could stop this malignant insanity before it destroys not only Indy but the wider galaxy in which we live.

The Man said:
I never thought I could feel this way, but maybe a flop for Crystal Skull could stop this malignant insanity before it destroys not only Indy but the wider galaxy in which we live.

It won't flop. Phantom Menace sucked and still made $430 million. Lucas will use that as proof people loved it.

A_True_Believer

Oh HELL no. He did NOT just say that he wants Mutt to be the lead character if they make Indy 5.

Crap. Crap crap crap crap CRAP!!!!

Dammit, George, you're doing it again. Your incessant meddling is going to be the end of us all.

Create a new franchise with just Mutt. Give him a TV series. A cartoon series. ANYTHING. But for the love of God don't put him in the lead and call it "Indy 5". Just don't.

eroc

However they want to do Indy 5 is fine by me. Shia could share top billing with Harrison, I wouldn't mind.

Adamwankenobi

A_True_Believer said:
Oh HELL no. He did NOT just say that he wants Mutt to be the lead character if they make Indy 5.

Crap. Crap crap crap crap CRAP!!!!

Dammit, George, you're doing it again. Your incessant meddling is going to be the end of us all.

Create a new franchise with just Mutt. Give him a TV series. A cartoon series. ANYTHING. But for the love of God don't put him in the lead and call it "Indy 5". Just don't.

Notice that Lucas isn't calling it "Indy 5". FOX News and the fans are the ones doing that. :rolleyes:

JerryKing

Ah, the first actual, spoken confirmation of the obvious.

Some might say that George is unaware of the fact that absolutely nobody, save perhaps for a handful of teenage girls, would want to see a movie in which Shia la Istilldontcarewhathisnameis would be top-billed as the "star" - but, in fact, he knows the power of the mechanism that was known as propaganda in the USSR and is known as PR in the US. Make a statesman out of a cretin, make a star out of a worthless amoeba, make a singer out of a deaf chainsmoker - everything can be done, and the grateful public will keep swallowing it. Shia La will take over, probably by 2012.

eroc

I wonder if back in 1989 people were pissed off because George brought in a huge movie star like Sean Connery to share top billing with Harrison on LC?
James Bond for Pete's sake!

A_True_Believer

Adamwankenobi said:
Notice that Lucas isn't calling it "Indy 5". FOX News and the fans are the ones doing that. :rolleyes:

If Lucas is suggesting that Indy is in it, it will be Indy 5. Having Harrison in it and NOT calling it Indy 5 would be an even bigger travesty. "Mutt Williams and the Blah Blah Blah.....with a special appearance by Indiana Jones"? I don't think so.

I have nothing against Shia or the Mutt character, but the center of the Indiana Jones world is Indiana - freakin - Jones. If they want to explore Mutt further, give him his own series of films to play in.

A_True_Believer

eroc said:
I wonder if back in 1989 people were pissed off because George brought in a huge movie star like Sean Connery to share top billing with Harrison on LC?
James Bond for Pete's sake!

If they had tried to do that with an actual James Bond film, people would have every right to be pissed. But since it was a different franchise, it wasn't really the same thing.

Michael24

Agent Spalko said:
In 1989 Lucas still had some small semblance of sanity left in him. He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil.

LMAO!!! (y)

A_True_Believer said:
If Lucas is suggesting that Indy is in it, it will be Indy 5. Having Harrison in it and NOT calling it Indy 5 would be an even bigger travesty. "Mutt Williams and the Blah Blah Blah.....with a special appearance by Indiana Jones"? I don't think so.

I have nothing against Shia or the Mutt character, but the center of the Indiana Jones world is Indiana - freakin - Jones. If they want to explore Mutt further, give him his own series of films to play in.

Agreed. :)

oki9Sedo

"I haven?t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

Ughh......I don't, to be honest.

Adamwankenobi

A_True_Believer said:

But he got second billing for his appearance in YIJC, so it's certainly possible he would be in a "Mutt Williams and the..." film.