General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Mickiana

I will take that as another indication Indy5 will happen. All this lack of concrete news does not worry me. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Interesting. The California Museum. Time to google.

As for George's comment, meh. Like I haven't heard that before!

Darth Vile

Mickiana said:
I will take that as another indication Indy5 will happen. All this lack of concrete news does not worry me. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Agreed. I think the will to make another movie is the biggest driver to actually getting it made. If they have the will, which it appears they do, it seems logical to conclude that the odds of Indy V happening are greater than it not. :D

DocWhiskey

They have the will but do they have the time?

Unless will makes time?

I mean, with Ford's age, we have a gap slowly closing. Ford's in great shape for his age, but come on.

That's what makes this film different from the Indy 3 to Indy 4 gap. We don't have 19 years here. We have 3-5 maximum. The 4th film being recent should grease the wheels here, but who knows.

Darth Vile

DocWhiskey said:

Unless will makes time?

I mean, with Ford's age, we have a gap slowly closing. Ford's in great shape for his age, but come on.

That's what makes this film different from the Indy 3 to Indy 4 gap. We don't have 19 years here. We have 3-5 maximum. The 4th film being recent should grease the wheels here, but who knows.

Agreed... but I'm hoping that the "will" to get it made within the next couple of years exceeds other factors that could get in the way. I'm pretty sure Lucas/Ford and Spielberg will have an idea on what they believe that window of opportunity to be... be it 6, 12, 18 months. Fords age aside, if they want to make a movie that rides the wave of KOTCS financial success, and broadly positive reception (regardless of wether one believes KOTCS to be good or bad), they need to start production in the next 12 months maximum. If they are still no nearer production this time next year, I'd feel confident betting that it will never happen with Ford in the role.

James

DocWhiskey said:

If nothing else, Ford clearly seems to be intent on making time. He's finished with Extraordinary Measures and Morning Glory is currently in post. It's somewhat unusual for him to not have another project lined up at this point. It's also interesting that both his post-KOTCS projects were atypical roles for him. (Sure, Glory has potential to be another Working Girl, but Ford is well aware that romantic comedy is not his bread-and-butter.)

Even Spielberg seems to be keeping a much lighter schedule. I don't think Harvey falling through will impact Indy 5 much- since that was really about doing a film for Dreamworks anyway- but it does lighten his workload even further.

DocWhiskey said:
That's what makes this film different from the Indy 3 to Indy 4 gap. We don't have 19 years here.

It's also different in that Lucas and Spielberg initiated the idea this time around, and have pretty much been responsible for all the film's rumors. They seem to have a much clearer idea for an Indy sequel than they did at any point in the 90s. Another interesting aspect is that much of that idea could've been decided upon during pre-production for Indy 4.

Maybe it's just the years I spent reading things like, "Uh, yeah...if we can all agree on a script," but Lucas saying, "It's in development. That's all I can say." seems a little bit more substantial. It may not actually happen, but at least it sounds like something is on the table.

emtiem

James said:
If nothing else, Ford clearly seems to be intent on making time. He's finished with Extraordinary Measures and Morning Glory is currently in post. It's somewhat unusual for him to not have another project lined up at this point.

But then he is over retirement age, is seriously loaded (!), and doesn't actually seem to like movies very much! :)

James

emtiem said:
But then he is over retirement age, is seriously loaded (!), and doesn't actually seem to like movies very much! :)

Fair enough, but we could've said the same prior to KOTCS. ;)

James

emtiem said:
Yes indeed; but I'm saying that there's no reason for him to fill out his schedule.

...other than capitalizing on the momentum from KOTCS.

Ford was fully aware that he needed Indy 4 to revive his fading box office star, yet he hasn't seemed too concerned about cashing-in on the film's success. I just think he's counting on one more Indy film within the next few years.

I'm merely speculating based on his past career choices. In the wake of TOD, he knew there was still an Indy III up his sleeve. So he stopped taking action roles and branched out into other genres. True, he still took a few dramas after LC, but he also made sure to have some action roles waiting in the wings. Once Indy was in his rearview mirror, he spent the first half of the 90s focusing on what his audience wanted.

You could very well be right, and maybe he simply doesn't care anymore now that he's had one final payday. I'm just not sure it's consistent with what we know about Ford's personality. Indy 4 seemed to renew more than just his box office potential, as he appeared pretty excited about debunking concerns over his age. I'd be surprised if he just wanted to slow down and retire immediately afterwards.

Udvarnoky

Even putting aside the positive impact it may have on Indy5's likelihood, I'm very happy Spielberg dropped this pointless remake. There's no need to touch the original Harvey, and anyway, Spielberg's already got his name slapped on a superb movie involving an imaginary rabbit.

Montana Smith

Udvarnoky said:
Even putting aside the positive impact it may have on Indy5's likelihood, I'm very happy Spielberg dropped this pointless remake. There's no need to touch the original Harvey, and anyway, Spielberg's already got his name slapped on a superb movie involving an imaginary rabbit.

Quite right, how can you remake a Jimmy Stewart film, without Jimmy Stewart? One of the most talented and watchable actors that ever graced a movie screen. It would be like Indy V being a remake of Raiders, but starring Shia as Indiana Jones. Spielberg might as well put his efforts into coming up with something extra-special for Indy V.

James

Montana Smith said:
Quite right, how can you remake a Jimmy Stewart film, without Jimmy Stewart?

You could always remake it with Jimmy Stewart, as they did in 1972. (Or without, as they did in 1998...although then no one would probably remember it.)

Technically, I think Spielberg had some leeway here, since it did originate as a play. (And remakes generally seem to get a pass these days if the source material existed prior to the film.)

However, I also get the feeling this project would've been little more than something to keep Spielberg busy for a few weeks.

Montana Smith

James said:
You could always remake it with Jimmy Stewart, as they did in 1972. (Or without, as they did in 1998...although then no one would probably remember it.)

I didn't realize Stewart was in a remake, I only remember the black and white version. And I don't remember the 1998 remake either!

James said:
However, I also get the feeling this project would've been little more than something to keep Spielberg busy for a few weeks.

Since Harvey was invisible, post-production would have been quick.

James said:
(And remakes generally seem to get a pass these days if the source material existed prior to the film.)

Do you think this spate remakes is a product of the Hollywood writers' strike a while ago? Producers got into the habit of rehashing old scripts instead.

Hanselation

December 31st pronouncement

Forbidden Eye said:
Indy 4 was green-lit December 31st, 2006. Is there any chance that Indy 5 gets green-lit that same date, 2009?

Shure there is ... but its infinitisimal small. Logic tells us, they're doing a script and that process will surely last six months more.
After that, they may agree about the script and then we could expect what you call a green- lit.