General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters
Harrison Ford Anxious to Cash Another Indiana Jones Paycheck

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/quote_machine_84.html

Harrison Ford Anxious to Cash Another Indiana Jones Paycheck

"I think it would be interesting to advance the understanding of the character, as we always have had that ambition throughout the series. I think it would be interesting to deepen the relationship between he and his son [Mutt, played by Shia LaBeouf] and play on that relationship. ... It's full of opportunity. The series is full of opportunity." —Harrison Ford on future Indiana Jones movies [MTV]

A simple question is fine but harrassing the beards and Ford only inspires this kind of tripe.

F'in MTV...

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
It'll probably all end up in tears and frustration.

Mutt will likely be taking the larger part of the action, leaving Indy to deliver the brains and the witty one-liners. If Lucas and Spielberg want to preserve the franchise they'll be using Indy V to pass on the hat to Mutt, and then there'll be a whole new 'Adventures of Mutt Jones', which will bear very little relevance to the very things that made Indiana Jones iconic.

Ford will want to be directly involved in the action as much as possible. I don't think this is something to be concerned about (unless he's no longer capable of course).

Montana Smith said:
Whilst I'm looking forward to another outing from Indy, I fear it'll be one movie too many. If KOTCS created so much division, I find it hard to see how Indy V will seal over the cracks. Lucas and Spielberg know this is the big one, and they'll have to take their time over it, and time the one thing that is in short supply.
Do you feel lucky? I'd rather take the chance if it means we get one final Indy movie. If it isn't that good, then life goes on regardless. There is always a chance it could be better. ;)

James

I'm not sure we can read too much into Ford's quotes about Mutt or Marion. When asked about Indy 4, he frequently talked about exploring the relationship between Indy and Henry Sr. Or having Indy reunite with all his old girlfriends.

This is just how Ford approaches the material. If you ask him to elaborate on a potential Indy sequel, he's not going to start talking about what MacGuffin they should try to find or which locales would be unique. It's simply not the kind of thing that interests him.

Of course, "Ford Offers Generic Response About Indy 5" doesn't exactly make for a catchy headline. ;)

James said:
But what's really crazy is how many sites are now running "Ford Calls Indy 5 Idea Crazy!!!" headlines. I realize blogs and movie sites don't represent journalism at its finest, but surely people actually watched the interview?

The interviewer brings the whole thing up- not Ford. In fact, Ford appears to have no idea what the guy is talking about- or that he had even made such a quote in the past. It's a classic case of a fanboy expecting a star to remember every little detail surrounding a film.

... words of wisdom...

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
Ford will want to be directly involved in the action as much as possible. I don't think this is something to be concerned about (unless he's no longer capable of course).

Do you feel lucky? I'd rather take the chance if it means we get one final Indy movie. If it isn't that good, then life goes on regardless. There is always a chance it could be better. ;)

Do I feel lucky? Well, I want George to "make my day" :gun:

I really hope that Indy V can be something special, something that will enhance the story.

My fear is that it could so easily wreck the story. For some this already happened with KOTCS, but personally, I think that Indy IV was a worthy addition to the growing chronology.

Realistically, Indy V should be a sentimental bowing out for the character (at least as an action hero - Indy VI might be entitled "Indiana Jones and the Quest for the Plastic Hip").

If Lucas continues the chronology with Mutt, this won't really be Indiana Jones. The other alternative would be for Lucas to continue the character using a new lead actor, and going back to the 1930s or 1940s. Yet, much of the appeal of the adult character of Indy is Harrison's portrayal.

Welcome, Aitch! :hat: I bet you have some interesting stories to tell...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cinematical.com/2010/01/11/exclusive-harrison-ford-says-sure-to-indy-5-sayonara-to-solo
Harrison Ford: Well, there's a lot of pleasures in making an Indiana Jones movie, and one of them is working with George [Lucas] and Steven [Spielberg] again. One of them is making a movie that's one of the rare big-scale movies that are being done these days. I get a lot of opportunity for collaboration and openness from those films. I've always been interested in developing the character, and bringing more information about the character each time we've gone out. We've found ways of doing that by introducing Sean [Connery] as my father, Mutt as my son, bringing back Karen [Allen] ? all of those things that work for me. So if we find another story to do and we develop the character a little further and I get a chance to do another one, I'd be happy as pie to do it.
img_8267.jpg

Silvor

Sounds to me like they're still at the same point they've basically been at ever since Indy 4 opened.
He even says "if we find a story". Which makes it sound like they haven't even decided on that yet.
Discouraging news really.

Udvarnoky

Honestly it doesn't sound like they're any closer to an Indy5 than they were to an Indy4 in 1993. Yes, as far back as then you could find interviews with Ford making vague and noncommittal allusions to story progress being made for the next movie.

Only this time around they don't have fifteen years to decide they're ready.

Indie House

I'm hearing a lot of debate about Indy V rescuing the franchise from the sour taste that KOTCS delivered (I know this opinion is not shared by all but it seems to be the more popular one). Many on this board remain hopeful that if Indy V does go ahead it may yield a grittier film closer to its predecessors. Given the recent comments made by Ford about exploring the relationships between Indy, Marrion and Mutt in a future endeavor it seems unlikely those prayers will be realised.

The ever softening and family encompassing 'beards' aren't turning back. I just can't see ...you wanna talk to God? Then let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do... in Indy V.

(n)

Darth Vile

Indie House said:
I'm hearing a lot of debate about Indy V rescuing the franchise from the sour taste that KOTCS delivered (I know this opinion is not shared by all but it seems to be the more popular one). Many on this board remain hopeful that if Indy V does go ahead it may yield a grittier film closer to its predecessors. Given the recent comments made by Ford about exploring the relationships between Indy, Marrion and Mutt in a future endeavor it seems unlikely those prayers will be realised.

The ever softening and family encompassing 'beards' aren't turning back. I just can't see ...you wanna talk to God? Then let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do... in Indy V.

(n)

My suggestion would be... if you have a prayer to offer, perhaps offer it for something a little more meaningful/significant than a "better" Indy movie. Seems an awful lot of nothing to waste a prayer on. :)

Indie House

Darth Vile said:
My suggestion would be... if you have a prayer to offer, perhaps offer it for something a little more meaningful/significant than a "better" Indy movie. Seems an awful lot of nothing to waste a prayer on. :)

'Better' is your word not mine. I'm not sure my post suggested such a glazed prospect for the next film.

Hanselation

Spalkos older sister

Let's listen, what Steven Spielberg will tell at the Golden Globes on January 17th, where he will appear together with Nicole Kidman (playing the older sister of Irina Spalko?!? ;) )

Darth Vile

Indie House said:
'Better' is your word not mine. I'm not sure my post suggested such a glazed prospect for the next film.

That's true... I thought the inference was that "grittier" equaled "better", and that you were actually speaking for yourself rather than the masses (my bad if that's not the case). I'm not even sure if two thirds of the originally trilogy could ever be classed as gritty though. ;)

HJJNR

A better Indy movie?

OK so it seems there is a lot of talk about making a "better" Indy movie with 5...OK so what does that mean? I personally don't dislike Skull anymore than I do Doom. doom being my least favourite of the franchise but it's my 7 year old sons favourite. They can't make a perfect Indy movie that everybody likes because we all have different opinions of what is good.

In here people say they want it to go back to Raiders style and that will make it all good but NO... then we will all be complaining that "It's too much like Raiders and its not original". MY absolute favourite 2 scenes in Raiders are the truck scene and Indy and Marion running from the plane before it explodes... but somebody else may say "no, its the opening sequence" or whatever.

Just let Indy 5 BE what it will be, one last Indy with Harrison Ford.

You can't please all of the people, al of the time.

I do wonder if any of the Indy team actually read these things... what do you reckon?

Darth Vile

HJJNR said:
OK so it seems there is a lot of talk about making a "better" Indy movie with 5...OK so what does that mean? I personally don't dislike Skull anymore than I do Doom. doom being my least favourite of the franchise but it's my 7 year old sons favourite. They can't make a perfect Indy movie that everybody likes because we all have different opinions of what is good.

In here people say they want it to go back to Raiders style and that will make it all good but NO... then we will all be complaining that "It's too much like Raiders and its not original". MY absolute favourite 2 scenes in Raiders are the truck scene and Indy and Marion running from the plane before it explodes... but somebody else may say "no, its the opening sequence" or whatever.

Just let Indy 5 BE what it will be, one last Indy with Harrison Ford.

You can't please all of the people, al of the time.

I do wonder if any of the Indy team actually read these things... what do you reckon?

You are right? everyone will have his or her own criteria and definition of what constitutes a "good" Indy movie. I think as long as it maintains the high production values it's always had, offers some high octane action, does something a little different to what's been done in the previous four, has a modicum of character evolvement, then at the very least it will justify its existence. Whether it?s actually good, or better than other Indy movies, will largely be for the individual to make up their own minds. But here's hoping :)

HJJNR

Darth Vile said:
You are right? everyone will have his or her own criteria and definition of what constitutes a "good" Indy movie. I think as long as it maintains the high production values it's always had, offers some high octane action, does something a little different to what's been done in the previous four, has a modicum of character evolvement, then at the very least it will justify its existence. Whether it?s actually good, or better than other Indy movies, will largely be for the individual to make up their own minds. But here's hoping :)

We will forever be comparing all of them to Raiders and therefore Raiders is on a pedestal so even if Indy 5 is the greatest of the collection it will still be shadowed by Raiders. But your right in what you say about 'the individuals making up their own minds'. Lets wait and see! As I've said on numerous occasions here; Indy 4 wasnt a bad movie by any standards but the aliens ruined the finale for me. i can remember sitting in the cinema and saying "Oh no, please no...not aliens" But with everything done and said, Skull does fit into the series well ad I'm sure that 5 will do the same.

As you said; here's hoping! ;)

I realize what you mean, but I think people, (like myself), just want another adventure with the same tone and sensibilities...a movie with the same style of humor, stunts and attitude.

foreignerfred

Rocket Surgeon said:
I realize what you mean, but I think people, (like myself), just want another adventure with the same tone and sensibilities...a movie with the same style of humor, stunts and attitude.

Yep. What he said.