General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Oh Good Lord! That was on Cinemax, (Skinamax) last week!

There's no way he could have survived THAT one...and you thought nuking the fridge was rediculous!

Apparently Harrison said that some positions weren't as easy as they used to be.

RedeemedChild

Montana Smith said:
Indiana Jones and the Kama Sutra?
QUOTE]

NO! I'm talking about the religious articles from Journey to the West! There is a Sutra (which is a Buddhist Scripture or parchments with sacred text inscibed on them. Journey to the West is what the movie The Forbidden Kingdom and the TV show Dragon Ball are loosely based on.

sandiegojones

Montana Smith said:
I don't think that the Indy series is locked down to any "one true God", since the Inter-Dimensionals opened everything up, and the world can still remain supernatural and unexplained to him.
I disagree. Aliens are living beings, not Gods themselves (only revered as such by the natives). They would have the same "creator".

Montana Smith

sandiegojones said:
I disagree. Aliens are living beings, not Gods themselves (only revered as such by the natives). They would have the same "creator".

As we know, KOTCS was based on Daniken's mythology, in which the ancient astronauts and aliens were the Gods. Daniken was in Lucas' mind back in 1978, as evidenced by the Story Conference Transcript. All it means is that the world is still mysterious, and anything is possible - there is no single authoritarian God guiding events.

Lance Quazar

sandiegojones said:
It may be tough to reconcile the "one true God" of Raiders with multiple pagan Gods (at least with aliens God is still likely their creator), but since they had already done voodoo and black magic in "Doom" I think it can work.

Whatever they come up with, I'll surely be very curious to see it!

There is no "One True God" in the Indy series. "Doom" was about Hinduism, not voodoo.

And it was just as valid, just as "real" as the Judeo Christian beliefs in 1 and 3.

Silvor

Doesn't really look like they've "cracked the story" now does it?
Indy 5 is still stuck at the same point it's been at since right after indy4 by the sound of it.

Errex

Montana Smith said:

Uh, that already exists, sort of. Just do a quick google about Indiana Mack, but be warned that it's not what you'd call "family friendly".:eek:

Indie House

RedeemedChild said:
Hopefully the next Indiana Jones movie will be centered around the Journey to the West epic and have Dr. Jones and Mutt on a quest to India in search for the Sutras of Enlightened and shards of the Celestial Chalice and the long lost Monkey King.

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iUMWy4hqAg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iUMWy4hqAg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

One of the best cult shows of the 70s and 80s! :hat:

sandiegojones

Lance Quazar said:
There is no "One True God" in the Indy series. "Doom" was about Hinduism, not voodoo.

And it was just as valid, just as "real" as the Judeo Christian beliefs in 1 and 3.
I still disagree.

Lucas was influenced by black magic, voodoo and Mesoamerican ritual human sacrifice for Temple of Doom (this was confirmed in a History Channel special). That is not Hinduism. He made up a cult ritual based on 18th century rumors of the Thuggee.

If you are referring to the power of the stones, yes they were based on Hindu beliefs, but you could say their power comes from "God". The Sankara stones are known as Shiva lingam. The name Shiva = "Supreme God". Sankara was a person, not a God. I understand there are 5 primary Gods in Hinduism, but Shiva is the primary god.

I see the aliens in KOTCS more as enlightened beings, "created" by a supreme being. The existence of aliens doesn't mean God is not real. Neither KOTCS or TOD necessarily present different "Gods" than the one in Raiders and TLC, at least in my opinion.

Montana Smith

Peru1936 said:
"Depends on who your god is, kid."

That quoite illustrates the point perfectly, Peru1936. It's all in the individual's perception, or their faith.

INDY: Nazca Indiana used to bind their infants head with rope to elongate their skull like that.

MUTT: Why?

INDY: Honor the gods.

MUTT: No, no. God’s head is not like that, man.

INDY: Depends on who your god is.

(KOTCS, David Koepp, October 2007 Final Shooting Script)

Taken bluntly the story of KOTCS shows one set of gods (alien in nature) advancing mankind, whilst another god (Christian) is being used as justification to murder and steal from the former.

The Indiana Jones series permits belief in multiple gods, and it's down to the faith of the viewer (if its important to them) to choose the one that suits them best. The Thuggees in TOD were worshipping Kali using methods of their own invention (or Lucas' invention) as opposed to Hindu beliefs, but that's the same for religions all over the world - practises and ceremonies are invented for effect, to set priests apart from common men.

I really like the Indy movies because they are so open, and not closed down to simple tales of good and evil. The grey areas make them what they are - so I can see Indy V going in any direction and still remaining true to the nature of its predecessors.

Mickiana

The character of Indiana Jones is more of a skeptic. He is more amoral, reactive and instinctual than anything else really. In Raiders he is a skulking treasure hunter with an aloof academic interest in artifacts and pays little or no personal heed to superstitious beliefs, as a professor of Archaeology should. His character is infuriating in this way to people who would have him be something loftier, but if he is heroic it is because he is forced to, even if it is himself forcing it. If he makes an allowance for the supernatural he certainly shows no belief in it or at least any in depth analysis. He is a realist and believes in his physical place in the universe. And as a true academic he believes in no particular god as this would be a betrayal to the higher religion of his Archaeology.

Darth Vile

Mickiana said:
The character of Indiana Jones is more of a skeptic. He is more amoral, reactive and instinctual than anything else really. In Raiders he is a skulking treasure hunter with an aloof academic interest in artifacts and pays little or no personal heed to superstitious beliefs, as a professor of Archaeology should. His character is infuriating in this way to people who would have him be something loftier, but if he is heroic it is because he is forced to, even if it is himself forcing it. If he makes an allowance for the supernatural he certainly shows no belief in it or at least any in depth analysis. He is a realist and believes in his physical place in the universe. And as a true academic he believes in no particular god as this would be a betrayal to the higher religion of his Archaeology.

Very true...

Montana Smith

I'd agree with that description, too, Mickiana. Indy is skeptical, yet remains open to possibility, since his past experiences are proof to him that the world is host to supernatural elements. And I don't believe the world of Indiana Jones is the sole preserve of a single god, or maybe of any god.

arkfinder

sandiegojones said:
I still disagree.

Lucas was influenced by black magic, voodoo and Mesoamerican ritual human sacrifice for Temple of Doom (this was confirmed in a History Channel special). That is not Hinduism. He made up a cult ritual based on 18th century rumors of the Thuggee.

If you are referring to the power of the stones, yes they were based on Hindu beliefs, but you could say their power comes from "God". The Sankara stones are known as Shiva lingam. The name Shiva = "Supreme God". Sankara was a person, not a God. I understand there are 5 primary Gods in Hinduism, but Shiva is the primary god.

I see the aliens in KOTCS more as enlightened beings, "created" by a supreme being. The existence of aliens doesn't mean God is not real. Neither KOTCS or TOD necessarily present different "Gods" than the one in Raiders and TLC, at least in my opinion.

How was it? The History channel show that is? I wanted to watch but have to work way to early. I hope to catch it this weekend.

Lance Quazar

sandiegojones said:
I still disagree.

Yes, the Thuggee are clearly a pastiche of various concepts of black magic from numerous sources, not limited only to the "actual" stories and accounts of the real Thuggee (for example - Voodoo dolls, shrunken heads, etc.)

I was referring to the stones and Shiva.

sandiegojones said:
If you are referring to the power of the stones,

I was.

sandiegojones said:
...yes they were based on Hindu beliefs, but you could say their power comes from "God". The Sankara stones are known as Shiva lingam. The name Shiva = "Supreme God". Sankara was a person, not a God. I understand there are 5 primary Gods in Hinduism, but Shiva is the primary god.

The Hindu pantheon is EXTREMELY complex. I don't purport to understand it myself. Saying that Shiva is the "primary" god is reductive and inaccurate. There are also many different sects or denominations which emphasize different gods and aspects of gods.

sandiegojones said:

So what you're saying is, in the Indian Jones universe, there is only one "god" and that the god of Temple of Doom is the same as the god of Raiders. Worshipped as Yaweh by the Jews, he is called Shiva in the Hindu tradition.

Okay, that's an interesting theory. Purely speculative on your part, but at least it's a cleaner explanation than trying to figure out how different gods could coexist with each other.

However, what this approach does suggest, though, is that there is no one "correct" religious interpretation of that god and that the various earthly religions are equally valid ways of approaching and interpreting that god.

This single god appeared to the Jews as Yaweh and gave them the Ten Commandments and the Ark, while over in India he appeared to Sankara as Shiva and gave him the stones.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with any of this, but it is, as I said, an interesting way of looking at it.

Montana Smith

In most mythologies the gods are just the metaphors for natural events, but as society becomes more complex, its gods become more complex.

Rational thought and logic would argue that there is no god (or gods). Just the stories and ideas told by primitive peoples to explain the mysteries of the universe. These stories travel geographically, and through time they mutate to serve the purposes of those in power. Far too much emphasis is placed on something that is little more than a fairy tale. Wars are fought for power, land and wealth, and what better way to align your allies than to strike the fear of their god into them?

Even within a single religion there is usually no single vision of god. A struggle for power creates new gods and new divisions along theological lines. It could be argued that there is a god for every single believer, since every believer has their own faith.

The difference between our world and that of Indiana Jones is that in his world the supernatural is present, proven and accepted. There is no evidence in any of the Indy films that the mysterious occurences are actually the result of any god, or whether they are technological gifts from an ancient intelligence, which since they are Daniken-inspired, supplant human-inspired gods.

But then, what is the definition of a god? An otherworldly being of great power and knowledge, who can accomplish things that humans are incapable of. They can make the rain fall or the sun shine, to permit man to survive into the next season. Yet, when humans act together, they can achieve enormous tasks of either creation or destruction (though some might say that this was the power of god working through man).

The bare bones of the Jewish-Christian God is "love me or suffer the consequences". In KOTCS Spalko demanded knowledge without respecting the beings, and she suffered the consequences.

What all this means for me is that Indy V can go in any direction as the great mysteries still remain open.