General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
There is no evidence in any of the Indy films that the mysterious occurences are actually the result of any god, or whether they are technological gifts from an ancient intelligence, which since they are Daniken-inspired, supplant human-inspired gods.

I think the more you try to analyze the Indiana Jones universe, the more you take the fun out of it.

(And I mean that in the generic "you", not singling you out, Montana! ;) )

Though I do remember reading your Unified Theory of Indy Magic, discussed elsewhere, where you suggested that maybe ALL of the supernatural elements in the Indy-verse can be attributed to alien intervention.

Nor do I prefer sandiegojones' theory that all the supernatural elements proceed from a single, unified god.

The Indiana Jones universe is fascinating and fun specifically because it doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense that one movie involves ancient Hebrew traditions (which are proven to be "real" to some degree), while another demonstrates the validity of the Hindu religion.

At first, I was opposed to the idea of aliens in the Indiana Jones universe. It no longer bothers me (even though I still despite KOTCS as a film.)

It's all pulp, though. It is of a piece. The Indiana Jones universe should be full of contradictions, should contain pieces that don't fit together, should be a pastiche and hodgepodge of various different traditions and pulp elements.

But to try to come up with some "theory" to explain all the disparate elements? Well, that's just taking the fun out of it. It doesn't fit. It's not supposed to. It's just supposed to be fun.

Texas

What are the chances that the big three have already chosen a story for Indy 5 and either George or Steven are secretly working on a script as we speak? Didn't George or Steven write a rough draft for the Crystal Skull script?

sandiegojones

Lance Quazar said:
But to try to come up with some "theory" to explain all the disparate elements? Well, that's just taking the fun out of it. It doesn't fit. It's not supposed to. It's just supposed to be fun.

I don't think I'm coming up with a theory per-se. Aliens can exist in a universe where God is the supreme being.

You mentioned differences in beliefs between Jews or Hindus as far as their "contact" with God is concerned. To me it's like aliens. We have no knowledge of their origins or beliefs. Perhaps God communicated with aliens in some different way. Several thousand years ago perhaps God was in contact with various humans across the globe, yet it is the humans interpretation of those words that is what ultimately makes their God and rituals so different.

I do agree that making all faiths and superstitions seem to be true in the Indy films certainly keeps Indy a more skeptical character and on his toes more often than just explaining it away as one correct belief system.

I disagree with Montana though when it comes to the Indy films never proving that the power of an object is the direct result of God. More so than the Ark, the Holy Grail and it's healing powers must be assumed to derive from Christ's divinity (which if you believe in the Trinity is power from God himself).

I don't think questioning or attempting to read into the films dilutes the fun at all, unless you simply reject the idea of a supreme being and just want an adventure movie and nothing more.

I love KOTCS and there is actually a lot in the film to examine (a lot more than TOD, which I also love). Hopefully a 5th film will also have some depth.

Montana Smith

sandiegojones said:
I don't think questioning or attempting to read into the films dilutes the fun at all, unless you simply reject the idea of a supreme being and just want an adventure movie and nothing more.

I agree with you on that, sandiego, though I wouldn't agree with your theories. But, then the fun for me is exploring the connections between things, and it doesn't really matter in the end what theory you accept, as you go for the one that personally enriches the film (or book) the most.

Lance Quazar said:
It's all pulp, though. It is of a piece. The Indiana Jones universe should be full of contradictions, should contain pieces that don't fit together, should be a pastiche and hodgepodge of various different traditions and pulp elements.

That's also a correct statement, Lance. Each of the films is inspired by a stylistic genre of film-making.

Yet, I like to place a sense of order on things, since we follow the same characters throughout. Much of the criticism against KOTCS seems to be that it was just too different from the preceding films. There is an internal chronology and internal self-reference that links the films (such as appearance of the Ark in 3 films, or the history of Indy and Marion). I find it personally impossible to view the films as separate entities, but like to join up the dots as it were, to see the complete unified picture of Indy's life.

Of course, the films can all be enjoyed individually, but they lose depth that way...

sandiegojones said:
I love KOTCS and there is actually a lot in the film to examine (a lot more than TOD, which I also love). Hopefully a 5th film will also have some depth.

Yes, Indy V will have to be special if it's going to be Harrison's last outing as Indy.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
Much of the criticism against KOTCS seems to be that it was just too different from the preceding films. There is an internal chronology and internal self-reference that links the films (such as appearance of the Ark in 3 films, or the history of Indy and Marion). I find it personally impossible to view the films as separate entities, but like to join up the dots as it were, to see the complete unified picture of Indy's life.

To be fair, not much of the criticism I've seen focuses on KOTCS being different. If anything, it attempts too hard to give us more of the same. Someone used a food analogy before (was it Rocket Surgeon?) stating that KOTCS had everything but the main course... and to a certain degree I can appreciate that view. However, to keep with the food analogy, I think it's more to do with the fact that when you've had steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner, by the time supper comes along, you can't help but be little bit bored with what steak has to offer (regardless of how well it's cooked). :)

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
To be fair, not much of the criticism I've seen focuses on KOTCS being different. If anything, it attempts too hard to give us more of the same. Someone used a food analogy before (was it Rocket Surgeon?) stating that KOTCS had everything but the main course... and to a certain degree I can appreciate that view. However, to keep with the food analogy, I think it's more to do with the fact that when you've had steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner, by the time supper comes along, you can't help but be little bit bored with what steak has to offer (regardless of how well it's cooked). :)

If it was food, then it had to be Rocket!

Okay then, if not different, then trying too hard to please too many diners at once: steak for the original fans with ice cream on top for the kids. Maybe trying too hard to keep everybody happy is a sure recipe for making a lot of people sick!

Indy V might be the after dinner mint to settle the stomach.

emtiem

Montana Smith said:
I'd agree with that description, too, Mickiana. Indy is skeptical, yet remains open to possibility, since his past experiences are proof to him that the world is host to supernatural elements. And I don't believe the world of Indiana Jones is the sole preserve of a single god, or maybe of any god.

Which is sort of a problem with inserting so many of these pre-Raiders adventures: after seeing Noah's Ark or Christ's Motor Car or whatever else they'd have him find, it grows more and more unlikely that he'd still be a sceptic come Raiders! :)

emtiem

Darth Vile said:

Yeah; I'd definitely not want Indy 5 to involve him chasing an old artefact with a bunch of soldiers on his tail. Although I would like him on a horse :)

Mickiana

Re Emtiem, Imagine you are Indiana Jones watching the Ark do it's thing at the Nazi/Jewish altar. After having your mind blown away, understandably, what would you end up believing? The logical part of your brain would be trying to come up with a logical answer, while the emotive or childhood memory part would be battling to use frameworks of old and even rejected (on the surface) beliefs. But Indy is an Archaeologist and this is a social science, just like Sociology and Anthropology. 'Science' is the key word here, not 'faith' which Indy never demonstrated. He will not accept his own emotional responses to even that which he observes first hand. This will have played a part in why he stayed a bachelor for most of his life, could not sustain long term relationships and was definitely terrified of commitment.

So, no to Indy becoming a believer, rather his experiences would have fueled his scientific skepticism, for right or wrong. Remaining the impartial scientist would have been of the utmost importance to Indy and this aligns with the rest of his personality which is to remain unemotionally evolved. Please take this as a generalisation (ie with grains of truth) as I know there are many instances where he slips up and allows himself to express his feelings.

indyfan85

Dye fords hair brown and make it a prequel thats darker ToD style! Convince Connery to come out of his damn fun retirement and set up one final Last Crusade!

The Man

Why not give these young whippersnappers a shot..?

As for dream projects, Kurtzman said: "I would like to take a run at Indiana Jones, but that is a pretty closed door, so not sure that is ever going to happen."

EddyW

Mitchell, I'm gonna steal your post from the "new acquisitions" thread and put it here, because I would certainly think this should be mentioned in this thread:

Mitchellhallock said:
Just had some of my Official Pix photos signed by the very generous Ms. Allen, for each of my sons and myself. I also asked if she would be available to be part of our 2011 ComiCONN (www.comiconn.com ) in Connecticut as part of a 30th anniversary of "Raiders" in New Haven... she might be unable because of a little film called "Indy 5"... see it for yourself .. more on this on the next IndyCast podcast! Here's hoping it all comes to pass!

KarenAllenautographsandnoteonIndy5.jpg

karenallenlettercloseup.jpg

DocWhiskey

Karen said the same thing in a Q and A I was at in September. She mentioned they'd shoot it in 2011 for a 2012 release. She was hoping they don't shoot it later this year, because she's doing another film and wouldn't be able to do Indy V. Where she gets this information? Who knows. But I hope she knows what she's talking about.

Indy Scout 117

DocWhiskey said:
Karen said the same thing in a Q and A I was at in September. She mentioned they'd shoot it in 2011 for a 2012 release. She was hoping they don't shoot it later this year, because she's doing another film and wouldn't be able to do Indy V. Where she gets this information? Who knows. But I hope she knows what she's talking about.
yeah me too. i wish 2012 wasnt so far away...(n) lol

Darth Vile

DocWhiskey said:

Do you think she is just taking the p**s? I can't really see that there are any firm dates for anything yet... and if there were, surely she wouldn't be allowed to comment on schedules etc.