General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

The Drifter

Darth Vile said:
I can't really see the point of re-casting Indiana Jones for a 're-boot' if they just get an actor to imitate Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones. As much as Ford is Indiana Jones, if the movies are going to go on without him, they have to get an actor who can bring something else to the role. Impersonating Ford would be the worst possible thing for me.

I did not mean that an actor had to act like Harrison Ford the man. I meant the actor had to act like Indiana Jones the character before I would buy into it.
There are small nuances that Indy has; that just complete his character. If someone were to don the fedora, they should LEARN the small details that make Indy who he is.
Maybe, Ford could work with someone and teach them the small things about Indy that we really don't see, but notice when it's not there.
And, of course I think they should bring something new to the table, but they must also use what's already been established.

Damn, I hope I worded that right...

Indy's brother

Darth Vile said:
I can't really see the point of re-casting Indiana Jones for a 're-boot' if they just get an actor to imitate Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones. As much as Ford is Indiana Jones, if the movies are going to go on without him, they have to get an actor who can bring something else to the role. Impersonating Ford would be the worst possible thing for me.

Just to keep this conversation in perspective (or at least my part in it), I wasn't talking "reboot" here.

Indy's brother said:
Although it flies in the face of my preference for practical effects, if done right, and opening 3rd act with a ROTLA-era Indy featuring an actor with prosthetic makeup and some cgi tweaking to really sell the effect wouldn't kill me.

I bumped this thread to rekindle that fire! :p

Darth Vile

The Drifter said:
I did not mean that an actor had to act like Harrison Ford the man. I meant the actor had to act like Indiana Jones the character before I would buy into it.
There are small nuances that Indy has; that just complete his character. If someone were to don the fedora, they should LEARN the small details that make Indy who he is.
Maybe, Ford could work with someone and teach them the small things about Indy that we really don't see, but notice when it's not there.
And, of course I think they should bring something new to the table, but they must also use what's already been established.

Damn, I hope I worded that right...

Yep - I get what you're saying Drifter... ;)

The thing we should be conscious of is that Indiana Jones is not a literary character like James Bond or an established comic book hero like Bruce Wayne/Batman, where there are distinct characterisations that are set in stone. My assumption is that, on paper, Indy's characterisations are pretty broad stroked/generic. I think a lot of Indy's idiosyncrasies/traits on film are more of a direct result of Harrison himself. He is, I'm sure most would agree, the embodiment of the character.

The point I was making badly was that if they ever re-cast/re-boot (god forbid), then it's probably best the filmakers don't get too hung up on what Harrison Ford did, but rather, find a different approach to the character/source material e.g. sociopath, troubled, reckless/vicious treasure hunter etc. :)

Montana Smith

Lego Indy said:
Bottom line.....is Indy 5 ever going to happen? My heart holds out hope, but my mind tells me otherwise. :confused:

The heart is saying that it'll be great to see another big budget Indy, but the head is dreading what #5 will give us in the light of KOTCS. The head is therefore saying #5 shouldn't be attempted.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
The heart is saying that it'll be great to see another big budget Indy, but the head is dreading what #5 will give us in the light of KOTCS. The head is therefore saying #5 shouldn't be attempted.

Montana - That's way too 'glass is half empty'. ;)

Indy 5 would be worth it just for the discussions here alone... and lets not forget the possibilities of another Williams score (which for me is almost as pleasurable as the movies themselves)... and whilst my expectations for Indy V, like KOTCS, are suitably set... sometimes the ride/journey is good enough to justify another go. :)

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
Montana - That's way too 'glass is half empty'. ;)

Indy 5 would be worth it just for the discussions here alone... and lets not forget the possibilities of another Williams score (which for me is almost as pleasurable as the movies themselves)... and whilst my expectations for Indy V, like KOTCS, are suitably set... sometimes the ride/journey is good enough to justify another go. :)

Indy's brother said:
Anyone else find it ironic that fans of a risk-taker are themselves skittish about another adventure?

"Come on, show a little backbone!"
-Jock

Indy can only take so much punishment from Lucas & Spielberg! :p

Indy's brother

Mickiana said:
They will at least do it for the money.

From what I gather, I don't think that money would be the major reason. But then of course, I don't really care what their reasons are. Just shoot the damn thing already before it's too late.

Dr.Jonesy

Steven was the producer of Cowboys and Aliens, and I'm hoping that MAYBE in between filming or during, Steven and Harrison at least talked something, ANYTHING over!

kongisking

I'm praying that if C&A is successful, it will convince Spielberg and Lucas to get back to work in order to ride the guaranteed wave of new interest in Ford the film will create.

Johnny Nys

Nor would I. There's a better chance of Lucas mentioning ideas for a similar new "Indy Tours" ride than anything about a possible new movie.

Dr.Sartorius

Johnny Nys said:
Nor would I. There's a better chance of Lucas mentioning ideas for a similar new "Indy Tours" ride than anything about a possible new movie.

I think there's a better chance of Lucas announcing American Graffiti 3 than mentioning anything related to Indiana Jones.