Comedians...what's up with them?

I

Indy's_main_man

Some of my favorite Comedians are Jerry Seinfeld, Steve Martin, Dennis Miller, and Denis Leary.

Who are some of your favorite comedians and thier routines?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
You seem to be pretty much looking for stand-up comics, but I'm not too well-versed in that, so I'll just say whatever. ;)

Seinfeld is great, though I would have to say that on his show, Jason Alexander as "Georgie" Costanza was, by far, the funniest of the characters, especially in the "Twix" plotline in the car dealership episode.

Steve Martin, too, is a genius. His best work, I think, may have been the cult classic, The Jerk, in which he portrays Navin R. Johnson, who is not a bum...he's a jerk! "What, my story?........................Okay! It all started when I was a poor black child..."

Then, the kings of the earlier era were, of course, Abbott and Costello. A personal favorite of theirs is the routine in which Lou proves that 13 x 7 = 28.

Luckylighter

Good question!

Steve Martin, Denis Miller, and Denis Leary are up there in my all time favorites list.

But at the top is George Carlin. I can't even name his best routines because there are too many to list.

Richard Jeni is also a great comic, I'm a huge fan, he has a great bit about shopping with women, and how a shoe sale is like some weird tribal hunt...great stuff.

Richard Pryor...what more can I say? He should get royalties everytime someone says, "MF."--you adults know what I mean.

Jake Johanson is a great surrealist comic. He does a bit about how wrecked he was after being dumped by his fiancee. Anyone who has ever been heartbroken knows EXACTLY what he is talking about.

That's all I can think of for now. I can't wait to see what others post.

I

Indy's_main_man

atilla....i'm a little disapointed you no longer are the person I thought you were....just leaving your marcus avatar for another one.

I love Steve Martin's "let's get small" cd.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy's_main_man said:
atilla....i'm a little disapointed you no longer are the person I thought you were....just leaving your marcus avatar for another one.

I love Steve Martin's "let's get small" cd.

I have an explanation for that. You and I are both rather prolific posters, and often in the same threads at that, but we both had the same avatar. I wanted something a little different to make it easier for everyone else, so I was looking for a new one. The bow tie on Musgrove struck me as a nice touch, though maybe I'll switch to another one of the Marcus avatars, with a hat, in due time...we shall see.

I

Indy's_main_man

Well the rants are very funny so keep em' up.

I forgot to mention the late buddy Hackett. That man was a legend. Just hilarious.

As for Musical comics (adam Sandler has tired but it comes out childish) I pefer Leary singing "i'm an *ss hole"...what a name for a song. It's a little immature but it's funny.

Finn

Staff member
Out of the above mentioned, I like Denis Leary.

But now, I'm going to drag this topic outside the borders of US. There are a couple of brilliant Finns, known as Riku Suokas and André Wickstrom, who bring a great comedy element by making fun of universal things from the viewpoint of persons who might not be in a cultural position to do that. Wickstrom in fact, has performed around Europe in English too, see if you can look him up.

Then there are the Brits. They're just damn too brilliant. Rowan Atkinson (at his best, that is), Peter Sellers, Dudley Moore, the men of <i>Monty Python</i>... the list could go on.

Then there are great <i>literal</i> comedians, directly comparable to comedy actors or stand-up-comics, they just do amuse us by writing text and telling stories. Out of them I'll have to highlight Douglas Adams. Read that man (you who haven't - I know some of you must already have) is all I can say. By trying to explain his absurdity is a violation towards his works.

And as a final note... I this far, we've only brought out male comedians. Is it so that women can't make people laugh? I dare you to prove me wrong!

I

Indy's_main_man

Rosanne is a woman...never made me laugh...just throw up

Oh and as for those python boys...bloody brilliant. Own all 3 films and every flying circus episode

Finn

Staff member
Perhaps it's that there is not any state-of-the-art female comedienne is simply because they're not just making comedy. Alongside, they're making a fuss about the fact they're <i>female</i> comedians.

As it is stated... as long as someone's making a number of it, the world considers there's no major improvements on that field.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ah, yes, the great Peter Sellers. I adored him in Dr. Strangelove, especially as the pseudo-Alec Guinness Major and the long phone conversation with the Russian Premier.

Tennessee R

Attila the Professor said:
Ah, yes, the great Peter Sellers. I adored him in Dr. Strangelove, especially as the pseudo-Alec Guinness Major and the long phone conversation with the Russian Premier.

Peter Sellers!!!
He's great.
The Pink Panther movies are my favorite

I

Indy's_main_man

Tennessee R said:
Peter Sellers!!!
He's great.
The Pink Panther movies are my favorite

Steve Martin is making a new pink panther movie :)

westford

Finn said:
Then there are the Brits. They're just damn too brilliant. Rowan Atkinson (at his best, that is), Peter Sellers, Dudley Moore, the men of <i>Monty Python</i>... the list could go on.
Hey Finn, you wouldn't happen to be a Derek and Clive fan would you? "The worst job I ever 'ad..." ;)

I like Karen Dunbar (saw her having a cup of coffee in Marks and Spencers the other day), Rhona Cameron, Dawn French, Victoria Wood, Robert Llewellyn, Norman Lovett...

Finn

Staff member
westford said:
Hey Finn, you wouldn't happen to be a Derek and Clive fan would you? "The worst job I ever 'ad..." ;)
"You know, she was a fantastic bird you know..." ;)
Not a bad guess, Westy. But we better share it with the others too.

IndyMcFly

I like Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Billy Crystal, Bill Cosby, Seinfeld is pretty good... I have heard that Robin Williams steals material sometimes, but looking past that, things that are original are very good as well, and movies like Mrs. Doubtfire were also very funny. He's a very funny man, Mr. Williams... though his language is a little on the adult side.

In Christ,
Shane

I

Indy's_main_man

I've done some studies on how misunderstood Robin Williams is.

Let's look at his biggest failures:

TOYS

HOOK

One Hour photo

Death to smoochy

Jakob the liar

I love all of these movies. William's beautiful performance in Jakob the liar is by far one of his best achievments...he needs an award for that. Toys- loved it. Hook- loved it (great concept)

DEATH TO SMOOCHY- Hilarious

One hour photo- brilliant

The audience doesn't seem to buy him in serious roles even though he plays them good mostly. If you haven't seen any of the above rent them.