Lucky's Day of Adventure

Luckylighter

First off, I felt like wearing my Indy style Cabela's shirt and Indyesque pants to work today. Obviously, I was wearing my fedora and had my MKVII bag with me like I always do.

Today was payday, and I had an interview at 2:30, so I left the office with enough time to cash my check, grab some lunch, and conduct the interview, which was at the local coffeebar.

On my way to Fort Lee, I decided that I didn't want to take the same route I always do--County Road to 9W--so I took a road that looked like it might get me to 9W a lot quicker.

I was wrong.

But I found a community that I never knew existed. The roads leading through it twisted and turned around the most amazing homes I have ever seen in this area. I felt like was no longer in Jersey, but in Beverly Hills. They weren't houses, they were mansions and castles. I always knew this area was wealthy, but I had no idea they were this wealthy. It was like a whole world that existed in my state that I never knew was here.

The roads were so twisty, they were almost like a maze, so it took a while to get back to the main road. But I did, and made it to the bank before the lunchtime crowds. I had so much time left over because the bank was empty, that I had time to explore a section of the Palisades Interstate Park that I had never been in before. Unfortuantely, they charge for parking, so I ended up taking the car path through the park--I knew I would stay no longer than 15 or 20 minutes, and the $4 charge just wasn't worth it for that short amount of time. But I got to see the Palisades from a perspective I never had before. I drove underneath the George Washington Bridge really, really close, and got to watch maintenance crews working on the bridge.

After about 10 minutes I turned around and headed for the exit. As I was driving back, I saw a broken down concrete stairway heading up the Palisades into the woods above. I couldn't take it any longer, so I pulled over to the side of the road--against park rules--and got out to explore. I followed the stairway up till I couldn't see my car anymore, and then I got worried about leaving my car like that, so I headed back.

When I got to the bottom of the stairway, I saw in front of me, about 50 feet ahead, that in the opposite direction, the path continued DOWN--from where I was standing, it looked like a sharp drop off, like a pit or well in the ground. As I got closer, I saw that there were another set of steps--very steep--that lead to a little tunnel under that section of the car path. So I went inside--it was only about 20 or 30 feet long--and came out to another set of steps which took me to another little tunnel--which was really just a brick underpass. At this point I was getting further and further away from my car...but I didn't care. I found someplace that I didn't know existed and it was exhilarating. I kept following the path and I realized it was taking me down to the shore of the Hudson River.

At this point I started to care about my car again, so I headed back and never made it to the end of the path. Which is great actually, because now I have something to look forward to doing.

To be continued...

Last edited:

Webley

That is an awesome story keep us posted on your next trip out there Id like to know what you find.

Joe Brody

Lucky,

I'm jealous. The only adventure on my side of the Hudson is the rather dodgy walk down to the Little Red Lighthouse under the GWB. If you're a fan of the book, the lighthouse is worth the visit.

As for the neighborhood you found yourself lost in could it have been Short Hills? There's a really neat place that I've been wanting to get to called Greenwood Gardens. The gardens are currently being restored and I'd love to tour some still overgrown and seemingly desolate gardens before the place is cleaned up and opened to the public.

Tennessee R

And, if you have long arms, and are not overweight, then go for the smallest size that will fit you, and long sleeves. It makes you look like Indy in the Cairo scene, with it fitting tightly over your chest, and you sleeves rolled up just a bit (Because hopefully they are already too short.)

Anyway, sounds like a great adventure. :)
:whip:

Luckylighter

Renderking Fisk said:
Lucky...

The Cabela shirt is NOT a summer shirt. If you're trying to lose wait or get dehydrated, go for it. Here are some good summer shirts from Beans.

Actually, I do have some love handles I've been trying to get rid of...

All kidding aside, I have the LL Bean Field shirt, which is my favorite shirt of that kind, but it was in the wash, and I wanted to wear a field shirt, so I went with the Cabela's, and it wasn't bad at all as far as the heat was concerned--of course I did have to have it unbuttoned to my navel, but I don't think the chipmunks were all that offended. ;)

Next time I go exploring there--which will be VERY soon--I'll wear the LL Bean...and I'll bring a camera so I can post some pics here.

Tennessee R

Great. Be sure to take many pictures.
Actually, you could take one into Photoshop, and put a beam of light in one of the stairways. :) :wip:

Luckylighter

Joe Brody said:
Lucky,

I'm jealous. The only adventure on my side of the Hudson is the rather dodgy walk down to the Little Red Lighthouse under the GWB. If you're a fan of the book, the lighthouse is worth the visit.

As for the neighborhood you found yourself lost in could it have been Short Hills? There's a really neat place that I've been wanting to get to called Greenwood Gardens. The gardens are currently being restored and I'd love to tour some still overgrown and seemingly desolate gardens before the place is cleaned up and opened to the public.

Actually Joe, I think it was Englewood Cliffs, or maybe Tenafly, one of the two.

As far as the Little Red Lighthouse, I always see it when I'm in the area--there are so many spots in Fort Lee that you can see it from. Have you ever walked across the Bridge--either Jersey to New York, or vice versa? I did that with some friends about 7 years ago. It was Labor Day weekend, and we were leaving a party in Fort Lee. Instead of going to get the car, we decided to walk the length of the bridge. So, at about 3 in the morning we walked all the way to the New York side, then turned around and headed back to New Jersey. It's worth doing, if only so that you can say that you did it.

Joe Brody

I'll have to swing through Englewood Cliffs and Tenafly on my way up to Greenwood Gardens. I love all the old suburbs just outside NYC.

It's funny you mention crossing the GWB. I just chastised myself for not having walked it this past Sunday as I was on my way back from a day at Spring Lake on the Jersey Shore. There was a lot of people on the bridge having a blast (walking, running and taking in the view). I don't know why in almost 13 years in the area I haven't walked it -- especially since I always walk all my visitors to the City across the Brooklyn Bridge. Well I'm sure I'll get around to it.

We should get together for a beer sometime. I know you have a literary bent. Have you ever been to Chumley's down in the West Village? Maybe I could get my wife to cut me loose for a night and we could get together and talk some Hemingway.

Luckylighter

Joe Brody said:
We should get together for a beer sometime. I know you have a literary bent. Have you ever been to Chumley's down in the West Village? Maybe I could get my wife to cut me loose for a night and we could get together and talk some Hemingway.

I've never been to Chumley's, but it sounds great. My email is listed in my profile, so shoot me a message and we'll keep in touch.