Best moment in The Last Crusade

I like the scene when Indy climbs up the cliff and everybody else is looking down, thinking he's dead and then he just joins them, starring down the cliff too.
And of course, you just have to love the scene that follows: :)

acap756.jpg

Indydan13

what a touching scene...his happiness that he is now quite sure his father loves him is what make lc one of the better movies

Cropsy

The tank battle, the motorcycle chase and of course Donovan turning into Doc Brown and the Crypt-keeper when he drank from the wrong grail.

Benraianajones

When Donovan tells Indy it is time for him to decide in what he believes - and the way Indy walks towards the lion adorned huge staircase (the music scores great here too), aware he has to avoid having his head cut off.

(I actually only noticed the other day when Indy falls down the hole after standing on "J" - as he gets back out, you can see Elsa and Donovan stood under the ripsaw blades watching what letters he stands in).

When Indy and his dad hug after thinking he had died following the tank falling from the cliff (love the music score when they hug).

When Donovan ages rapidly whislt he is still half alive strangling a screaming Elsa.

Indy on the horse shooting at the tank. Again the music scores good here.

I like the Grail Knight's interaction with Indy, and of course the fissure towards the end. Also, the wonder that the knight possibly dies in the temple collapse, somewhat content the grail is no longer at risk of falling in to the wrong hands. It's sad, but triumphant.

And of course when Indy is called "Indiana" by his father, and essentially they leave ever lasting life to fall aware in to obscurity forever to enjoy what they have.

Kevin

I like the whole part where Indy must face the final challenge; when he realizes its a leap of faith the look on his face says "Oh my God I don't believe in this stuff, but what choice do I have?" Great acting, great use of music, gives me chills just thinking about it.

"You must believe, boy. You must...believe"

Niteshade007

The best part? When it was finally over.

Actually, I liked Elsa's introduction, and I find the catacombs scene interesting, even if it does bother me to no end (seriously, the place is filled with gas AND Indy lights a torch? Who thought that was a good idea?)

Another smaller scene I like is when Elsa is at the rally and Indy finds her. I just like the exchange between the two, particularly:

Elsa: You came back for the book? Why?
Indiana Jones: My father didn't want it incinerated.
Elsa: Is that what you think of me? I believe in the Grail, not the Swastika!
Indiana Jones: You stood up to be counted with the enemies of everything the Grail stands for! Who gives a damn what you believe?
Elsa: You do!

Just the way she says "You do!" gets to me. It's really touching, actually. I think Elsa does love Indy. And of course:

Indiana Jones: All I have to do is squeeze.
Elsa: All I have to do is scream.

Decent dialogue in that scene, made Elsa a little more human, showed a darker side of Indy. I mean, we've never seen him intentionally harm a woman before (the cigarette girl was an accident). He feels betrayed, obviously, and there are probably still some romantic feelings there as well.

Kingsley

Niteshade007 said:
Don't be so harsh,
I understand you can dislike many elements too similar to Raiders, but LC has its own magic and heart.
I like it so much that I can forgive some flaws... more strong points than weak points in my opinion.

Those moments of conflict between father and son (especially the one deciding where to go), and Indy looking at Henry after the charlemagne quote and the fallen plane, are priceless.

And the dialogue is pretty clever, on top with Raiders.

- I like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -

swarbs

what was Donovan and the Nazis (if donovan chose wisely) gonna do when Indy brought the grail back to save his dad. Just tie them up and put them in jail?

Darth Vile

swarbs said:
what was Donovan and the Nazis (if donovan chose wisely) gonna do when Indy brought the grail back to save his dad. Just tie them up and put them in jail?

He wouldn't care, as he assumed he would have the immortality that he'd been seeking. Truth is of course that he wouldn't have been able to leave anyway...

IndyAJA77

Niteshade007 said:

I'm not sure if this was sarcasm or not, but I (seriously) liked "When it was finally over." Not because it was the end, or that I didn't like the film, but the end dialogue, the riding into the sunset and the music were really great here.

That's not saying that they (other elements of mise en scene) weren't great elsewhere or in the other films, but I guess at the end of the crusade I felt a certain poignancy: father and son mend relationship, two old friends have helped on this family adventure and, well, this appeared to be the end for Indy especially with a title like LAST Crusade.

I'm glad the adventures continued, but the end of Last Crusade will always have the emotional element at it's conclusion, for me anyway.

Niteshade007

Kingsley said:
Don't be so harsh,
I understand you can dislike many elements too similar to Raiders, but LC has its own magic and heart.
I like it so much that I can forgive some flaws... more strong points than weak points in my opinion.

Haha, I was being sarcastic, but I guess it didn't come across well. Last Crusade is my least favorite of the originals, but I can watch it from time to time. My friends love it, so I'll usually only watch it if one of them suggests it. I have found more things I like about it, but overall, still not wild about it.

Benraianajones said:
So you didn't like the 3 challanges?

I like the idea of the three challenges. However, a couple things bothered me about them. For example, in the penitent man challenge, it's the penitent man kneels before god, not does a tuck and roll. If I were in that situation, I would be still die because I wouldn't know to roll forward, and it bothers me that Indy knew to. I do like that they show how to stop them though. I thought that was a nice touch. Also in the word of god challenge, it drives me crazy Indy falls through the floor and is able to hold onto letters that don't spell Jehovah. Of course, these types of things bother me in the other movies too, such as the light trap in the beginning of Raiders.

IndyAJA77 said:
I'm not sure if this was sarcasm or not, but I (seriously) liked "When it was finally over." Not because it was the end, or that I didn't like the film, but the end dialogue, the riding into the sunset and the music were really great here.

That's not saying that they (other elements of mise en scene) weren't great elsewhere or in the other films, but I guess at the end of the crusade I felt a certain poignancy: father and son mend relationship, two old friends have helped on this family adventure and, well, this appeared to be the end for Indy especially with a title like LAST Crusade.

I'm glad the adventures continued, but the end of Last Crusade will always have the emotional element at it's conclusion, for me anyway.

I know a lot of people loved the ending of Last Crusade, but it has always left me cold. I never felt it was a good wrap up to the trilogy. But, like I said, I'm not really much of a fan of the rest of the movie.

Darth Vile

Niteshade007 said:
Haha, I was being sarcastic, but I guess it didn't come across well. Last Crusade is my least favorite of the originals, but I can watch it from time to time. My friends love it, so I'll usually only watch it if one of them suggests it. I have found more things I like about it, but overall, still not wild about it.

I know a lot of people loved the ending of Last Crusade, but it has always left me cold. I never felt it was a good wrap up to the trilogy. But, like I said, I'm not really much of a fan of the rest of the movie.

I'd always assumed that all Indy movie fans loved 'Last Crusade'. It's so easy to sit and watch...

Interesting to read your views all the same.