Finding Atlantis

IndyBuff

I don't know if anyone has had a chance to read this book yet but I've been reading David King's Finding Atlantis and it's fantastic. To sum it up briefly, it's about a man named Olaf Rudbeck back in the late 1600s who believed that Atlantis was located in Sweden and he spends the last thirty years of this life collecting artifacts, going on expeditions and doing research, all of which leads him to believe that Atlantis existed (of course we know it didn't, although his research and arguments were somewhat compelling).

Anway, it's a great non-fiction book and if you're intersted in history and archeology you'll probably enjoy it. Has anyone else checked this out yet?

qwerty

Indy said:
all of which leads him to believe that Atlantis existed (of course we know it didn't)

And by saying that you just proved that Atlantis is just a myth. (underlined with a heavy irony)

qwerty

Atlantis was described as superior civilization. But remember that it was compared to ancient Greece and civilizations of that period. If Atlantis existed now it would be as primitive as these civilizations, as far as we are concerned.
Plato overblow the story of Atlantis but do not forget that aroun that time people overblow preaty much everything. All the religions we have today are based on stories from that period (+- century or two).
When people found Egyptian hieroglyphs they thought that was a message from gods or something like that. They tried to figure out what all of that writing actualy sad but they could descript it. One day a guy (whose name I cannot remember) tried a different aproach. He tried to treath those writing as something people would normaly write and he tried to figure out wich words were repeting the most. It's like in English for words like a, the, and, is, am and so on. Little by little he descripted most of Egyptian hieroglyphs.
If you are looking for Atlantis as highly developed world in wich everything runs on cleen electric power, in wich culture is on stage 25 above us and in wich they have materials 100 times stronger then anything that we will ever have then you will never find it. If you come back to Earth and reconsider the whole story you might find something.
(a tip - look in south America)

IndyBuff

There was also a time when Hitler and the Nazis were looking for Atlantis too and they came up empty-handed. Olaf made some amazing discoveries and had some convincing arguments, but ultimately it walked the line between genius and maddness.

He also tried to relate old mythology to Atlantis with stories like Jason and the Argonauts. Those tales were simply stories and shouldn' be regarded as fact, although he took them pretty seriously, at least in terms of Atlantis.

"Plato overblow the story of Atlantis"

Plato INVENTED Atlantis as a tool to comment on his own society.... Atlantis exists no more than Tolkien's Middle Earth exists...

some years ago I found the Atlantis, and I have proof!

Dibujo2.jpg

Gustav

Didn't Plato claim that Atlantis was engulfed thousands of years before he was even alive? I wouldn't think he is a terribly reliable source, but I wouldn't doubt that at some time in history an ancient city did meet its demise in such a way. Other people of the ancient world whose names I can't remember spoke of this same thing happening to a very sophisticated city and populated city but they called it something else. Some people even expect it to be happening again sometimes soon to California. But if it ever does happen I'm pretty sure it won't be in our lifetime or even in our great great grandchildrens'.

Qwerty, when you said, "look in South America", might you have been referring to one of Mike Hedges' claims?

qwerty

Gustav said:
Qwerty, when you said, "look in South America", might you have been referring to one of Mike Hedges' claims?

I am not sure. I heard some hipotesys that sad that Atlantis is somewhere in South America (Patagonia or around there somewhere). I bought the story and now I take it as the most resonable clue in search of Atlantis.
I could be wrong, but I would not be suprised if I am right.

IndyBuff

That's a great article phatr32! Some of the statements listed there are the same conclusions that Olaf reached (the Pillars of Hercules and the Horse Racetrack are two examples).

It's amazing that researchers today are making the same claims and observations that others like Rudbeck made 400 years ago.

Last edited:

phatr32

yeah national geographic always has some good stuff in it.

I beileve a place called atlantis did exist, and were advanced in some way, but not as advanced as some people think, e.g they didnt have electricity, lasers, nuclear power etc etc.

maybe they were advanced in art, poetry, culture etc.

Also, people ask, where did they go then? Well, its to hard to beleive they can just dissapear. E.g the ancient egyptions. Their wirting was lost for thousands of years, and until the rosetta stone was found, no one could read it. Their language has been lost forever and will never be recovered (unless theres a ancient group lof people living in caves who speak only that, etc etc)

steve

I asked you first....

But based on a knowledge of what Plato was doing when he wrote about "Atlantis".... It's FICTION! It always was....

Timaeus and Critias, two of Plato's dialogues, are the only existing written records which specifically refer to Atlantis. The dialogues are conversations between Socrates, Hermocrates, Timeaus, and Critias. Apparently in response to a prior talk by Socrates about ideal societies, Timeaus and Critias agree to entertain Socrates with a tale that is "not a fiction but a true story."

It is a common trait of such tales, to tell a 'true' tale inside a fictional tale... In so doing make an inferance that BOTH are fiction. It's a fairly common literary device, even for the ancient Greeks.... I'm sure if they were written today, Timaeus and Critias would contain a LOT of "Winky eye" smilies and "Sarcasim" code...

"Ya... I got this story... *wink wink* but it's about a "REAL" place... *nudge nudge* Ya no really.... "

And *Poof*... "Atlantis" vanishes, having never existed in the first place...

From http://www.csicop.org/sb/2001-09/atlantis.html
"There is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that Atlantis represented any real place at any time. Where the story contains descriptions or events that resemble historic happenings, it only does so to the degree that any piece of fiction relies on experiences of reality. All of the evidence points to the story being one of Plato's noble lies: useful fictions used to make a point, not to refer to the past."

So, lemme ask you again, "Based on what?"

Last edited: