Cloning of Mammoths? Is it Possible?

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Moved thread to Archaeology forum

I've been thinking about that, but since it is believed that mankind had a large hand in their extinction we should have a hand in bringing them back...same could be said about the Dodo Bird.

Last edited:

Johan

great...just another endangered animal to throw our tax dollars at.
I have nothing against these animals...its just that bringing them back will also bring back more animals to make ivory.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
ClintonHammond said:
"15/07/2003"???

Hardly what I'd call breaking news.....

Isn't this just another of Hwang Woo-suk's failures??
And this post contributes to the converstion how?

San Holo

I heard this morning that scientists can alter mice cells to make rats, so the mammoth should be no different,if decent DNA can be found. The next 50 years are gonna be a very exciting time in the world of science.

Rae-deemer

Ummm.... If I remember correctly it was a mini global warming then the mini ice age that contributed to the Mammoths extinction, not humans. But I'm probably wrong.

Doc Savage

Rae-deemer said:
Ummm.... If I remember correctly it was a mini global warming then the mini ice age that contributed to the Mammoths extinction...
Or a sudden, dramatic freezing. Remember, mammoths have been found with undigested food in their stomachs and "fresh" food in their mouths. But I've never read a postulate that men had a hand in it.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Just saw a show on Discovery stating that it is believed that over-hunting thinned the herds too much. While the extreme cold did kill many, most were killed by humans and other predators.

Doc Savage

Aaron H said:
Just saw a show on Discovery stating that it is believed that over-hunting thinned the herds too much. While the extreme cold did kill many, most were killed by humans and other predators.
Fascinating. It makes sense, though. I believe men saw dinosaurs, so I have no problem accepting this.

"mammoths have been found with undigested food in their stomachs"
Not surprising at all given that the stomach evolved to be a bag for storing food while the body digests it

"While the extreme cold did kill many"
There is the theory that they were not adapted to the cold, despite their 'woolly' exteriors.

Doc Savage

ClintonHammond said:
"mammoths have been found with undigested food in their stomachs"
Not surprising at all given that the stomach evolved to be a bag for storing food while the body digests it
What about the greens in their mouths? Doc Savage goes digging for a source to cite...

There are records of several mammoths found frozen in ice and tundra over the last couple centuries, as well as stories of previous discoveries by native arctic peoples. A couple of the more complete mummified specimens have had foods in various stages of digestion in the stomach and intestinal tract, but only one specimen, the Berezovka mammoth found in Siberia in 1901, mentioned food still in the mouth:

"Before I arrived at the site, Herz had partially dug away the hill of earth
round the body, and so both the forefeet and the hind feet were exposed.
These lay under the body so that it rested on them. When one looked at the
body one had the impression that it must have suddenly fallen into an
unexpected fissure in the ice, which it probably came across in its
wanderings, and which may have been covered with a layer of plant-bearing
mould. After its fall the unlucky animal must have tried to get out of its
hopeless position, for the right forefoot was doubled up and the left
stretched forward as if it had struggled to rise. But its strength had
apparently not been up to it, for when we dug it out still farther we found
that in its fall it had not only broken several bones, but had been almost
completely buried by the falls of earth which tumbled in on it, so that it
had suffocated.

"Its death must have occurred very quickly after its fall, for we found
half-chewed food still in its mouth, between the back teeth and on its
tongue, which was in good preservation. The food consisted of leaves and
grasses, some of the later carrying seeds. We could tell from these that
the mammoth must have come to its miserable end in the autumn."
- E. W. Pfizenmayer
Siberian Man and Mammoth

roundshort

I hope they can clone these guys, think of it, Mammoth Burgers or better, Mammoth Short Ribs, like on the Flintsones. . .

Doc Savage

roundshort said:
I hope they can clone these guys, think of it, Mammoth Burgers or better, Mammoth Short Ribs, like on the Flintsones. . .
How is it that shorty brings his occupation to bear on even this discussion? What wine would go with Mammoth steaks avqua (sp?) and grilled garlic asparagus? I feel like Ira and Barry Shalowitz on City Slickers...

Doc Savage

temple of john said:
Maybe we could bring back the Mammoth and then drown them individually in Brandy with Garlic cloves shoved up their asses. What a treat they would be then. Just consider the possibilities...
I'd rather not. And I pity the one administering the garlic.

Doc Savage

temple of john said:
"Sir...how would you like your Brandy drowned, anally garlic stuffed, mamoth prepared?"
To go...and can I have french fries instead of mountain oysters, please?

roundshort

temple of john said:
No, not great at all!!! God has His reasons for doing what he does and we are not meant to play God. Hell, lets just bring back the T-Rex and unleash him on a little league field (wait...I think they are doing that for Jurrasic Park 4).

Some things are meant to be left the way they are.

This reminds me of an old joke about sme guys trying to have a prize winning pig, it is about a pig, a monkey and a cork . . .

Last edited: