Webbing strap material for MkVII bag

Dr. Wolfwood

I don't really know what to call the original strap material that the MkVII bags come with, but since it is the same material that holds the metal rings on the sides of the bag, I'd need to find a source where I could buy some of that strap material from.

I own two original MkVII bags, but they both came with dry rotted strap and ring holders and wear down very quickly, as I use the bag every day. Does anyone know of a source where I could buy some of that strap material from? Preferably in the original colour, but I'd be happy with even close matches.

Goodeknight

Interesting question. Most people ask where to get a screen accurate leather strap like Indy's! (Easiest/best would probably be Todd's Costumes btw.)

Regarding getting an original MKvii strap, I suggest posting over at Club Obiwan in the Classifieds under Marakesh Supply Company.

Shouldn't be too hard, really. Everybody here or over there who has an MKvii bag probably has the strap sitting in a drawer somewhere, with their leather Indy strap on the bag.

Maybe someone here will send you a PM and offer one up.

Good luck!

Dr. Wolfwood

To be clearer in my problem statement, I'll attach a pic:

ringholder.jpg

Basically, the original webbing is too frail to hold in daily use. I tried using new webbing and camouflaging it with the original, but the original wears off rather quickly.

So, if anyone happens to have the original strap for sale (in good condition, meaning that it doesn't rip when you try to rip it with your hands like paper or soft cardboard), or knows a store that sells comparable material, I'd be very happy! :)

In both of my authentic bags, the original strap and ring holders are basically dry rotted (I bought them from different stores and the original manufacturers are also different, so that's not the reason).

Mickiana

I have that same problem. I had the old webbing strap that I cut off to put on the leather strap, so I got some of it and took it to a place that does industrial canvas sewing. They did a good job but the other side needs doing soon and even the fixed side is going to wear through. I was thinking about a leather replacement eventually for both sides. As for getting your hands on genuine webbing strap that is original for the bag, your best bet would be to try army disposals. You don't want to buy a whole new bag just to get the webbing.

Dr. Wolfwood

Update.

I've been haunting the local army surplus stores, but unfortunately all the Finnish military gear is adorned with much narrower webbing strap (about half-width), so it seems that this solution will not work.

So, I'm still open to ideas! :)

Mickiana

The main culprit in the wearing through of the canvas loops is the shape of the metal rings. Because the rings are round, the loops strain on the sides. If the rings were flat on the bottom, or just square, the canvas loops would wear much more slowly. I am seriously thinking of the leather replacement option for the loops. They will last perhaps forever. Some light coloured leather and thick like a belt would do the trick.