Forrestal

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Of course, I have nothing to prove this other than my gut reaction to the definition of the word. ;)
You may be onto to something, Indy's bro' and I think you're right.:hat:

Montana Smith said:
Stoo! :hat:

I've quoted the following from the 1994 Lucasfilm authorised, 'Raiders of the Lost Ark Sourcebook', published by West End Games.

First I contacted Princeton, where Forrestal had been teaching ancient history and archaeology. The history department was keeping his office under lock and key, but after a few months, when it was apparent Forrestal wasn't coming back, they sifted through all the junk and depositied all his papers in the library's archives.

Interesting, James Forrestal, though he lived beyond the thirties, had quite a colorful life:

Forrestal entered Dartmouth College in 1911, but transferred to Princeton University sophomore year. He served as an editor for The Daily Princetonian. The senior class voted him "Most Likely to Succeed", but he left just prior to completing work on a degree.

Forrestal had helped to smuggle the Ukrainian Nazi elite unit Nachtigall Brigade to the United States to supplant Kim Philby's failed ABN (Anti Bolshevik Nationals), an MI6 Soviet émigré fascist group

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
Of course, I have nothing to prove this other than my gut reaction to the definition of the word. ;)

Screenwriters use these sorts of things all the time. Check out THIS one for another example

It's extremely common to use name meanings to foreshadow a character. There's practically a class on it.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
It's extremely common to use name meanings to foreshadow a character. There's practically a class on it.

Charles Dickens is a great example of the tradition.

There is a good chance that Forrestal was inspired by 'forestall'.

Pale Horse said:

Like Shaggy!

Shaggy.jpg

WilliamBoyd8

The aircraft carrier was named after James Forrestal, who was the first US Secretary of Defense.

He went nuts and killed himself in 1949 by jumping out of a window of a hospital in Washington DC.

Lots of conspiracy theories about this guy.

"Mr. Secretary, we have something to show you from Roswell..."

:)

Supernatural

Did anyone know that there's a town called Forrestal right next to Princeton?
Is this common knowledge?
I just thought it was strange. I noticed it on my way back from Princeton the other day.
Any idea if Lucas drew inspiration from this area?

hatsie

Not that strange if you take into account that both Satipo and Barranco are Peruvian towns and Bellocq [sic] is a French village.