No more Indiana Jones from George Lucas.

Rivers

February 9, 2012
Q: "Steven Spielberg says he?s waiting to hear from you."
George Lucas: "I know, and I?m supposed to be working on it right now, but I?m talking to you instead (Laughs)."

This wasnt very long ago.... lets keep some hope here... this was even after he stated he was retiring.
I dont think Indy 5 is dead yet.

Forbidden Eye

Well, Kathleen Kennedy was speaking for Spielberg last year saying "Indy is dead", only for Spielberg to say he'd be up to Indy 5 after that. Kennedy also said "Tintin would be the replacement Indiana Jones" and look how well that claim has held up.

Still, I do expect Indy 5 to be a reboot after Lucas' death. He said he had no desire making more Star Wars films after the flak he got for the prequels, wouldn't surprise me if he felt that way about Indy after the flak he got about Kingdom.

Mickiana

I will work on posting pics of the letter and the t-shirt. Not sure of the best way so any advice would be helpful.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Scanning the letter is best Mickiana, a digital photo works too. Upload it to any file sharing site (I still use Livejournal). Also, what, verbatim, did you write in yours?

Lucasfilm PR fields a lot of mail, and it's nice to see they at least sometimes use a personal touch. I suspect they spend a lot of time politely telling people they can't accept fan fiction. I'm not surprised they're dismissive of Indy. In 2009 head of fan relations (now Lucasfilm consultant) Steve Sansweet said "it's not the same depth of fandom interest as it is in Star Wars." Star Wars keeps the doors open.

But the official line on Indy echoed by Shia and Marshall and John Hurt and Koepp (all outside the loop like most Lucasfilm employees) is never say never. If it was over Lucas would shout it from the rooftops like he does for Star Wars 7. (By the way, Kathleen Kennedy never said "dead" and clarified it was her opinion.)

kongisking

To quote Roger Rabbit:

"I don't believe it! I can't believe it! I shant believe it!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53AP7fGGPoA

Now, imagine me in Roger's place in that scene, weeping for the loss of further Dr. Jones adventures...

"Oh, Lucasfilm! Tell me it's not true! P-b-b-b-b-b-b-bleeeeease!"

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here it is, the story of a t-shirt's amazing journey... :)
Dear George Lucas,
For as much weight as this letter may carry, I am writing to ask that you, if possible, make Indy5. As I write this request now, I am struck by the naiveté of it, but it is only a request by a very big fan. For what it is worth, I felt compelled to put it in writing, for I would love the legacy to continue as long as possible.
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.
Yours sincerely,
s640

s640

Mickiana

Thanks Moedred. The grey spot on the shirt is a photo anomaly. It's not on the shirt.

So there it is folks. Is it the end of it all? For now it is.

Montana Smith

Although Mr. Lucas will not be making more Indiana Jones films, there will be other projects to look forward to.

1. Blu ray releases

2. All the films in 3-D

3. All the films in sanitized 'Special Editions'

4. All the sanitized 'Special Editions' re-released as 'Extra Special Editions'

4. Mutt Jones trilogy...

With Lucas nothing is out of the question!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Tweeted.

Now, if Lucasfilm operated as a fully briefed hive mind... their collective talents would have wrought a brilliant Phantom Menace. Seriously, I have often considered assembling the short list of insiders and researchers who actually know what's going on. "Elizabeth" might only be a Siri-like response generator, or remote customer liaison in a boiler room at Lucasfilm Singapore.

Rivers

So on February 09th Lucas himself said he is supposed to be working on it, then a little over a month later on March 15, (The date of the letter) a public relations employee says he isnt doing anymore.
Hmmmmmmm. I want to hear it from anyone of the big 3!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Cool shirt. Nice to look at something official.

It will be interesting how this goes- whether we get anything from anyone. It would be hilarious if AICN got a report on this. :p

Indy's brother

Well, that PR lady is going to have an interesting day when this gets out. This video was posted 4/30/2012. The Indy 5 question is asked at 8:28, and the response, directly from George Lucas' lips

I AM working on a 5th Indiana Jones. I have to get it approved by Steven and Harrison. I'll only say this, the last time it took 14 years to get it approved, so again, it's not something that everybody's crazy to get out and do. I mean, nobody needs the money, you know the chances are that it will be not well accepted much more than it will be accepted, so there's not a lot of impetus to do it.

Goodeknight

Indy's brother said:
Well, that PR lady is going to have an interesting day when this gets out. This video was posted 4/30/2012.

Still very vague, but a lot more promising than Elizabeth X's "No."

"It's not something that everybody's crazy to get out and do," sounds like Spielberg and Ford don't want to put out another crap movie. But what the heck does, "the chances are that it will be not well accepted much more than it will be accepted" mean??

Rivers

This is the important part of the answer.... " I AM WORKING ON A 5TH INDIANA JONES"
Thats right from Lucas himself, this project isnt dead by any means. if he had absolutely no intention of making a fifth like the letter from the public relations employe indicates, Im sure he would have confirmed that.
As of April 30, 2012, George says he is working on Indy 5!!!!!!:D