What year should Indy 5 be set?

seasider

I don't mind a flashback at the beginning showing a younger Indy like they did with Last Crusade but switching back and forth from young and old Indy throughout the movie would get kind of annoying in my opinion. I wouldn't want a CGI younger Harrison Ford either. I don't care how realistic it would look.

Udvarnoky

Yeah, regardless of how convincing the effect might be, creating a digitally de-aged Indy seems to be contrary to the spirit of what this series is. That said, I'd say the same thing about CGI foliage hitting Shia LaBeouf in the balls, so what the hell do I know about what the spirit of this series is anymore.

Wilhelm

They digitally aged Donovan in Last Crusade (1989).

Maybe the Young Ford idea could work only in the action teaser (15 mins) and then show the passage of time with an Old Indy 30 years later in his last adventure.

Last edited:

Z dweller

What would be the point of digitally rejuvenating Ford, when Disney are planning future prequels anyway?

Much better to take the opportunity offered by the last full "canon" movie to introduce a younger actor in his late 20s to early 30s, paving the way for his return in the prequels.

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:
What would be the point of digitally rejuvenating Ford, when Disney are planning future prequels anyway?

Much better to take the opportunity offered by the last full "canon" movie to introduce a younger actor in his late 20s to early 30s, paving the way for his return in the prequels.

Nobody knows what Disney is planning outside of pure internet speculation.

Udvarnoky

I think the larger point is that of context. Donovan's death was supernatural and therefore the natural province of special effects. I would consider a digitally de-aged Ford a very different matter, though admittedly not worlds removed from using computers to create comic relief prairie dogs. Perhaps that genie is already out the bottle where this series is concerned.

It rankles a bit because the original concept of these films was to make them rough and dirty. If Spielberg was still making these movies in that vein then what's been proposed here would be utterly off the table (and not just because the tech didn't yet exist), whereas it seems all too plausible now.

Z dweller

Face_Palm said:
Nobody knows what Disney is planning outside of pure internet speculation.
This is what the man said.

“Not like Star Wars, but we hope… right now, we’re focused on a reboot, or a continuum and then a reboot of some sort.”
“Well, we’ll bring him back, then we have to figure out what comes next. That’s what I mean. It’s not really a reboot, it’s a boot — a reboot. I don’t know. We [got] Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in the film. But then what’s the direction? I’ve had discussions about what the direction is, [but] I don’t want to get into it. I don’t think it reaches the scale of the universe of Star Wars, but I see making more. It won’t be just a one-off.”

Do you think that Disney bought the IP just to make one last movie with Ford? Seriously?

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:
This is what the man said.

“Not like Star Wars, but we hope… right now, we’re focused on a reboot, or a continuum and then a reboot of some sort.”
“Well, we’ll bring him back, then we have to figure out what comes next. That’s what I mean. It’s not really a reboot, it’s a boot — a reboot. I don’t know. We [got] Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in the film. But then what’s the direction? I’ve had discussions about what the direction is, [but] I don’t want to get into it. I don’t think it reaches the scale of the universe of Star Wars, but I see making more. It won’t be just a one-off.”

Do you think that Disney bought the IP just to make one last movie with Ford? Seriously?

Again, the world "prequel" isn't in there anywhere. The Indy stories they could tell could be in any time period. You're making a lot of assumptions. Disney has never said prequel.

Stoo

Udvarnoky said:
I think the larger point is that of context. Donovan's death was supernatural and therefore the natural province of special effects. I would consider a digitally de-aged Ford a very different matter...
Of course. Absolutely. Conversations about a young, Computer Generated Harry Ford? There are plenty of other places to pontificate such preposterous platitudes.

This is a thread about WHEN Indy 5 should take place (no matter how the character is realized)...and it should be 1962.

Z dweller

Face_Palm said:
Again, the world "prequel" isn't in there anywhere. The Indy stories they could tell could be in any time period. You're making a lot of assumptions. Disney has never said prequel.
How else do you interpret "...making more. It won?t be just a one-off" ?

More movies with Ford after the next one? You are tempting fate, my friend.

Sequels with sidekick(s) in place of the main character, set in the 1970s and 80s? That's not Indiana Jones anymore, in any way, shape or form.
Ain't gonna happen.

Face_Melt

Spielberg, during an interview with Screen Daily that focuses heavily on his new critically-acclaimed Cold War drama Bridge of Spies, had the following to say regarding the prospect of Ford being recast as Dr. Jones:

“I don’t think anyone could replace Harrison as Indy, I don’t think that’s ever going to happen. It’s certainly not my intention to ever have another actor step into his shoes in the way there have been many actors that have played Spider-Man or Batman. There is only going to be one actor playing Indiana Jones and that’s Harrison Ford.”

Udvarnoky

Spielberg is also the guy who said "We're going to make Indy 4 look like the other three."

Here's the thing. Spielberg may genuinely feel that way, but he is not in control of the franchise. Disney may defer control of Indy 5 to him, but after that the IP's fate is gonna be at Bob Iger's pleasure.

Face_Melt

Bob Iger is stepping down as Disneys CEO in 2019... the year Indy 5 hits theatres.

How will he be involved for future Indy films?

Udvarnoky

I was not aware of that. I would have been more accurate to say "whomever is Disney CEO."

Now that you've got me looking into, it sounds like he's retiring in the summer of 2018, though he's already starting to backtrack on the claim.

Even if he does step down when they say, Iger has already alluded to Indy's future, so it's obviously being discussed. It's not like Disney's waiting for Indy 5 to get released to start plotting the next stages. He's already involved with future Indy films in that sense.

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
Even if he does step down when they say, Iger has already alluded to Indy's future, so it's obviously being discussed. It's not like Disney's waiting for Indy 5 to get released to start plotting the next stages. He's already involved with future Indy films in that sense.
Precisely.

And seeing a younger actor in the action teaser and/or further flashback scenes in Indy 5 would be a great way for Disney to test today's audiences' appetite for future prequels.

It's too good an opportunity for a smart company like Disney to miss.

DeepSixFix

Face_Palm said:
Spielberg, during an interview with Screen Daily that focuses heavily on his new critically-acclaimed Cold War drama Bridge of Spies, had the following to say regarding the prospect of Ford being recast as Dr. Jones:
Except that other actors have already played Indiana Jones besides Ford, so...

Raiders90

DeepSixFix said:
Except that other actors have already played Indiana Jones besides Ford, so...

Difference is those actors weren't replacing Ford. River Phoenix played alongside Ford in a bit part. YIJC was a Lucas production that Spielberg had no part in, and even then, when it came to playing mature Indy, Ford was Indy. So there's a pretty big difference in context.

Kai Hagen

With a lot of talk about Hitler fleeing to Argentina these days, how about 1945? The Germans would have later uniforms and a jet plane. And include the German U-boats.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X222V4uB7vE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4meQYdaeT58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>