What was the reaction to Indy IV?

Dr.Jonesy

I didn't really pay attention to what he reaction to the film was for critics and fans. So could someone enlighten me on how it was recieved?

1.) Critics liked it, everyday film goers liked it, hardcore fans had mixed reactions.
2.) Critics were lukewarm, everyday and hardcore fans thought it sucked.
3.) Critics were positive, everyday and hardcore fans were mixed to negative in reaction.
4.) Critics positive, everyday film goers and harcore fans loved it.

What do you think was the closest to the reaction to Indy IV?

The Man

Dr.Jonesy said:
I didn't really pay attention to what he reaction to the film was for critics and fans. So could someone enlighten me on how it was recieved?

1.) Critics liked it, everyday film goers liked it, hardcore fans had mixed reactions.
3.) Critics were positive, everyday and hardcore fans were mixed to negative in reaction.

It's close to a mix of options 2 and 3...

jamiestarr

How about this?

5. Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was received much as Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade were.

-It received mixed reviews from critics.
-It was generally well liked by the masses
-It had it's share of hardcore fanboys lamenting that it was not Raiders of the Lost Ark,
-It was a box office smash yet was not the #1 movie domestically (in fact the 2nd Indy movie to be trumped by a Batman film.)

*Personally, I think Crystal Skull was actually better received in every aspect than Temple of Doom was.

Crack that whip

My impression is that critics and general audiences were mostly positive with some notable detractors, while hardcore fans were more sharply and evenly divided (though assuming the Raider.net's site poll results and my memories of them are remotely accurate - a big "if," I know - I'm somewhat inclined to think the hardcore fans, too, were mostly positive, with the detractors merely disproportionately vocal). Of course, none of the others inspired quite the response from South Park that this one did, though of course it wasn't around when they were new (and one wonders what they'd have done with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, say...).

Recent weeks have added slightly to the number of people I've met in person who've discussed their responses to the movie with me, and I still have to report that so far, still just one person I know of "in the real world" didn't like it - everyone else enjoyed (enjoys) it. Not all of them loved/loves it, and most have some quibbles or issues with it, but on the whole, everyone I know who's seen the movie liked it on the whole, with one exception. This is nothing like what I've seen online, of course (mostly at this very site), but there you go.

Dr. Wolfwood

On a Finnish movie forum that I read, the movie was received pretty critically indeed and that hasn't changed with consecutive viewings. Most writers there were disappointed with it. Personally, I also saw the movie more as a teen movie than something that adults and teens can both enjoy.

Darth Vile

Dr.Jonesy said:

From everything I've seen... I'd say it's a mostly option 1, with a mixture of fans who didn't like it (and a percentage of which out and out hated it).

torao

Moderator Emeritus
From my biased point of view and put very abstractly it tended/tends to go from "It's good to have Indy back" and "A good old-fashioned adventure film at last" to "This ain't Indy" to "none even talks about it anymore because it's utterly forgettable" in all fields, including professional critics, people I know and fans who post on message boards.

It had it's share of hardcore fanboys lamenting that it was not Raiders of the Lost Ark,
Maybe you mean that symbolically but I can't remember anyone daring to compare it to Raiders other than something along the lines of "you can't compare it to Raiders, nothing tops that movie.". Maybe my memory is just in bad shape, though.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
meddepmr7.png