Van Halen

Stoo said:
...I'm all for it. Like Billy Ray said, "Tattoo" ain't their best but it's growing on me. It's actually an improvement on "Down In Flames", in my opinion.
I don't particularly mind, it's leagues above anything Willie Scott sang for them.

Wonder if Dave will sing any of the songs from the band's "Air Supply" years.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Wonder if Dave will sing any of the songs from the band's "Air Supply" years.
Sammy Hagar is probably a cool guy but when he entered the fold, it was NOT good. They had a couple of Top 10 hits afterwards but everything went downhill without DAVE!

Now...check these out. The REAL Van Halen is FINALLY BACK!!! I cannot f*cking believe it!(y)

China Town
Blood & Fire
Outta Space
Big River (previously, the unreleased song, "Big Trouble")

Oh, David Lee Roth, how I love thee...(y)

The Drifter

The Rolling Stones will forever outclass Van Halen, that is al
l.
But, I do enjoy listening to Eruption.
But, to be fair they really aren't my gig.

Dr.Jonesy

Eh, not too impressed with VH's new stuff so far...

More looking forward to 'KISS; Monster' and 'Rush; Clockwork Angels'. As well as Black Sabbath.

But Van Halen, KISS, and Black Sabbath will all be big albums in the classic rock community this year, though.

Billy Ray

I picked up the new album today (yes, I still call them "albums") and think it totally rocks! If your a fan of classic, DLR era, Van Halen I don't think you will be dissapointed. If you are more of a "Van Hagar" fan, you might not dig it. I like both, though I am not the world's biggest fan of Sammy.

Henry W Jones

I love it!!! It sounds like a 1978-1984 VH album. Good to hear Roth back on vocals. The album sounds like it was recorded in the late 70's early 80's. (In a good way) Personally I think it's well done and what VH should sound like. Although the background vocals seem off without Michael Anthony. Still sounds great!!!

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Though most of the youtube videos of these songs have been taken down, you can always preview a short bit of each track on amazon like any other album. I just clicked back over here after my cursory listen over there, and my opinion as a fan who listened to these guys back when Roth was the reigning king of this kind of rock is this:

If you can let yourself go and ignore for a moment the history of the band, and what they look like now, this gives an alternate take on music history by either showing what could have been, and/or by showing us exactly where we would have liked them to be right now. What I mean by that is that had they stuck it out as a band they probably wouldn't have had the nostalgic sensibilities that these songs seem to reflect.

While it's hard to give 'Halen an unprejudiced ear, I enjoyed what I heard.

As a footnote, Anthrax has done the same recently to similar affect.

They certainly mined the vaults! Theres a bit of everything, every original VH style thrown in.

Just couldn't help myself from smiling at Ice Cream Man II.

No discernable synth?

No discernable synth!

Though I may dislike his bass, there are some spare moments where Micheal Anthony's voice is noticeably absent.

Last edited:

Billy Ray

Yeah, but Wolfie's bass playing (if it is indeed Wolfie and not Eddie on the CD) is pretty darn good! It's nice to be able to hear the bass track on a Van Halen song for a change (other than that one repeated note on Runnin' with the Devil).

Billy Ray said:
Yeah, but Wolfie's bass playing (if it is indeed Wolfie and not Eddie on the CD) is pretty darn good! It's nice to be able to hear the bass track on a Van Halen song for a change (other than that one repeated note on Runnin' with the Devil).

I'll have to listen again, Alex's playing was impressive for an old man. Great fills...still sounds amazing.