Where did Indy get his Ph.D?

Skipper

According to an online biography I read, Indy received his Bachelor's degree in archaeology from the University of Chicago before pursuing graduate studies in linguistics at the Sorbonne. Did Indy get his Ph.D in linguistics at the Sorbonne? I had always assumed he had a Ph.D in archaeology from Chicago.

intergamer

and what was his thesis about? chicago is a mathy school, yet his form of archaeology is more history than scientific

IndyBuff

Welcome to The Raven Skipper!:hat:

According to the books and many timelines, Indy graduated from the University of Chicago and then did his graduate studies at the Sorbonne. Indy originally was going into linguistics because of his father's wishes but later changed to archaeology after his adventures in Greece. If you read the Indiana Jones and the Peril At Delphi novel it helps make sense out of this.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It is in Archaeology. He changes courses after University of Chicago. There is an implied falling out with his Dad.

Welcome to the Raven, Skipper!!!:whip:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A 1927 excerpt from the official grail diary:
"...my first news of Junior in more than a decade. At least I assume that the ?Dr. Indiana Jones? spoken of in connection with the Ravenwood expedition in Sun kiang is my son! I am gratified to learn that he is alive and has earned his doctorate ? but Indiana?? It was our dog?s name in Las Mesas. The boy continues pointedly to wound me. I wrote him a letter in care of Ravenwood at Chicago addressed to Dr. Henry Jones, Jr., but I have yet to receive a reply."

WilliamBoyd8

We still haven't answered the question:

What was the subject of his doctoral dissertation (thesis)?

Inquiring minds want to know.

:)

IndyBr

WilliamBoyd8 said:
We still haven't answered the question:

What was the subject of his doctoral dissertation (thesis)?

Inquiring minds want to know.

:)

I don't know the precise subject, but in "Peril at Delphi" there is a moment when Indy is holding the Omphalos that he sees himself in the future talking to a professor about his thesis, and the general subject was Ancient Greece.