Indy, Are You Being Served?

IndyAJA77

I was just watching Prague, August 1917 and noticed that, at the end of the episode, one of the two telephone installers was Trevor Bannister, who played Mr. Lucas on Are You Being Served. I realize there may be few, if any, Are You Being Served fans here, but it was a pleasant surprise. I know Spielberg used many such UK TV actors throughout the films, but I hadn't realized that Young Indy had them as well. Are there any others that you can point out?

Stoo

UK TV actors specifically? Of the top of my head:

-Ade Edmonson of "The Young Ones" fame (who also played Ace Face in The Who's "Quadrophenia" at Hyde Park in '96) is the eye-patched villain, Zyke, in "Peacock's Eye".
-Edward Tudor-Pole, who has done tons of TV work (and was also the singer in the band Tenpole Tudor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNJbJAjM5Ho, plays Medlicot in the "British East Africa" episode. (Have you ever seen the "Who Killed Bambi" bit in "The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle"? This guys is nuts!:p)

P.S. I've never seen "Are You Being Served". Did he actually play George Lucas?

Last edited:

metalinvader

Stoo said:
Have you ever seen the "Who Killed Bambi" bit in "The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle"? This guys is nuts!:p

I think Sting and his gang trying to rape Paul Cook is a tad bit more nuts!

*No pun intended*:p

What was Malcom thinking!?

I actually own the '45 for 'Who killed Bambi' but I bought it for the B side,"Silly Thing'' with Steve Jones on vocals ( as apposed to Paul Cook's vocals on the soundtrack).I love the cover art.The safety pin through Bambi's ear is a nice touch.

AnImaginaryBoy

Also Colin Baker who played the sixth Doctor was in Daredevils of the Desert, and I also think Jon Pertwee was in an episode, playing a German general or something, but I wouldn't be able to tell you which one, so that's a Doctor Who connection going there. :D

Little Indy

Stoo said:
P.S. I've never seen "Are You Being Served". Did he actually play George Lucas?

No no no:D The character's name was Mr. Lucas. It was a comedy based on the goings on in a British department store. The title comes from the employees asking if a customer has been served, which apparently is the equivalent of "Are you being helped?" I'll watch it if I happen to run into it. It doesn't have a regular schedule here. Funy stuff though.

InexorableTash

Tim McInnery (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0570570/), who played Franz Kafka in Prague 1917, also played Percy / Lord Percy / Le Comte de Frou Frou / Captain Darling in the British comedy series The Black Adder / Blackadder II, Blackadder the Third / Blackadder Goes Forth, respectively.

If you haven't seen Blackadder, you're dead to me.

Stoo

metalinvader said:
I think Sting and his gang trying to rape Paul Cook is a tad bit more nuts!

*No pun intended*:p

What was Malcom thinking!?.
Perfect timing. Last night "The Filth and the Fury" was on the UK channel, Film 4, and I'm wondering if Tudor-Pole is one of Sting's gang in that part. Who knows what was going through Malcolm's head?:confused: It's no wonder that film never got made...

Who would've ever thought that Indy's dad was university chums with the "almost" new singer of the Sex Pistols!:eek:

metalinvader said:
I actually own the '45 for 'Who killed Bambi' but I bought it for the B side,"Silly Thing'' with Steve Jones on vocals ( as apposed to Paul Cook's vocals on the soundtrack).I love the cover art.The safety pin through Bambi's ear is a nice touch.
Ha ha! I had that version (taped on cassette, though). What do you think of "Swords of a Thousand Men" in the above link?

Little Indy said:
No no no The character's name was Mr. Lucas.
Ah, I see.:) Thanks for the clarification, Little Indy. The title is familiar but I've just never actually seen an episode. As for "Black Adder", I haven't watched every series but do like what I've seen. Guess that makes me only half-dead.;)

Julian Firth who plays Meinertzhagen in "Phantom Train" & "Daredevils" was also in the "Cadfael" series and the guy who plays Winston Churchill, Juilian Fellowes, has been in a lot of stuff (most recently, "Monarch of the Glen". I don't watch it but my girlfriend does). I also checked out the Jon Pertwee role and he does indeed play the General at the climax of "Hawkmen". Good eye, ImaginaryBoy!

...and how can we forget Vanessa Redgrave as Vicky's mom! In between films, she's done TV work.

P.S. Plus this thread Young Indy Cameos has some other mentions (including another "Black Adder" actor).

Last edited:

Stoo

Two recent sightings:

-Tom Bell (von Lettow from "Phantom Train") plays a senator in a few episodes of the BBC's excellent, "Ancient Rome: The Fall of an Empire".
-The 2nd guy who played T.E. Lawrence, Douglas Henshall, is the lead in the new ITV series, "Primeval".

Also, how could we forget Tom Courtenay! The star of "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" plays Bronislaw Malinowski in "Peacock's Eye".

IndyAJA77

Stoo said:
Tom Bell (von Lettow from "Phantom Train") plays a senator in a few episodes of the BBC's excellent, "Ancient Rome: The Fall of an Empire".

Sorry, I know it's unrelated, but how does "Ancient Rome" compare to the BBC/HBO's "Rome" ?

Flannery10

Stoo said:
Two recent sightings:

-Tom Bell (von Lettow from "Phantom Train") plays a senator in a few episodes of the BBC's excellent, "Ancient Rome: The Fall of an Empire".
-The 2nd guy who played T.E. Lawrence, Douglas Henshall, is the lead in the new ITV series, "Primeval".

Also, how could we forget Tom Courtenay! The star of "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" plays Bronislaw Malinowski in "Peacock's Eye".

I never knew until recently that Courtenay was in David Lean's epic Doctor Zhivahgo and received an Oscar nomination for his performance. Great performance by him in Peacock's Eye by the way!

Stoo

Yes, Flannery10! T. Courtenay has been is some great movies ("King Rat" as well) and some real stinkers ("Leonard Part 6")!:eek:

IndyAJA77 said:
Sorry, I know it's unrelated, but how does "Ancient Rome" compare to the BBC/HBO's "Rome"?
I prefer "Ancient Rome" much more. It is a docu-drama with occasional narration, some very fine acting, great costumes and lots of exterior scenes with cities and battles. It also gives a much wider scope by covering different periods. (Tom Bell turns in a good performance, too. His voice and delivery are completely different from his von Lettow interpretation.) Highly recommended!(y)

Stoo

The actor, Jason Flemying, who plays Indy's fellow captive, Emile, in "Trenches of Hell" is now also in ITV's "Primeval". 2 Young Indy actors in 1 show! His appearance reminded me that he also portrayed Dr. Jekyll in the awful "Extraordinary League of Gentlemen". (As much as I love Allan Quatermain and Captain Nemo, I can never allow myself to watch that tripe again.:sick:)

Flannery10

Stoo said:
The actor, Jason Flemying, who plays Indy's fellow captive, Emile, in "Trenches of Hell" is now also in ITV's "Primeval". 2 Young Indy actors in 1 show! His appearance reminded me that he also portrayed Dr. Jekyll in the awful "Extraordinary League of Gentlemen". (As much as I love Allan Quatermain and Captain Nemo, I can never allow myself to watch that tripe again.:sick:)

I didn't even hate it that much. Actually, I enjoyed it imensely and was glad to see Sean Connery still looks damn good as an Action hero. (y)

metalinvader

League has always been a guilty pleasure of mine.(Just picked up the Blu-ray a few days ago!)

Even the haters of the film have to agree that Connery does play an awesome Quatermain!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I admit it, I like League too. Seriously.

Now, I know this may not count, but he is English.

Vic Armstrong directed the Austria part of 'Adventures of the Secret Service.'

Andy Jones

Nickolas Grace, who played Clouseau in Prague 1917, was The Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Of Sherwood which also starred Ray Winstone as Will Scarlet. John Rhys-Davies also appeared in an episode as King Richard.

Stoo

metalinvader said:
Even the haters of the film have to agree that Connery does play an awesome Quatermain!
Won't argue with that.:)

Charles, the French spy in Barcelona/Espionage Escapades, is aptly named since he was played by Charles McKeown. What a list of credits this guy has. He was in "Ripping Yarns", "Brazil", "Erilk the Viking", "Fawlty Towers", "Time Bandits", "Life of Brian", etc. (the list goes on...) AND he co-wrote, "Brazil", "Baron Munchausen" and "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus"!

Stoo said:

He's not bad in League...but if you haven't seen it yet he's also in "The Red Violin" a excelent flick, where Sam Jackson is the weak link...