TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #26
Lab Rat
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
I guess mine is how the river below the bridge in TOD alternates between a rocky stream to a full river filled with alligators in different shots.
Lab Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:57 AM   #27
Zorg
IndyFan
 
Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Heimdall
I think for me it's the transformation of Indy after drinking the blood in ToD. Even with rich supernatural elements in all movies the whole "drinking blood and becoming bad" thing just never clicked with me.

Same here. During that scene the film just stops for a while. You could argue that it's a "breather" for the audience, since TOD is a pretty packed film. But still, that scene doesn't work very well. Not for the character, and not for the particular film as a whole.
Zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #28
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Same here. During that scene the film just stops for a while. You could argue that it's a "breather" for the audience, since TOD is a pretty packed film. But still, that scene doesn't work very well. Not for the character, and not for the particular film as a whole.

Its always interesting to see the hero turn evil.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #29
IndySeven
IndyFan
 
IndySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 872
The speedboat chase was my least favorite scene. I just didn't like it!
IndySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #30
Blackadder
IndyFan
 
Blackadder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Croatia
Posts: 211
It would be the dinner in the sultan's palace , awful
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:50 AM   #31
1ord3vil
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 64
I only watch Raiders and don't like much of TOD and LC at all. There are selected scenes from the last two I enjoy, but I never watch them from start to finish anymore.
1ord3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #32
yodazone
IndyFan
 
yodazone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 528
The "X marks the spot" scene in the Venice library sequence from "Last Crusade." In one frame, the giant "X" is in full view on the floor of the library.....the next frame, it's all disappeared. That was real careless filmaking to omit that "X" and how did Spielberg or anyone else not realize it on set?

They could have at least digitized an "X" for the DVD release....

yodazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #33
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
Watch it again. It is NOT disappeared!
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #34
IkoJones
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 73
I terribly mind the jump-from-the-plane scene because of poor visual effects. The crash and explosion of the plane was the most unrealistic one I've ever seen in a movie...

And I also don't like a scene in Raiders where Marion is scared of the corpses in the Well of Souls. Seems to me like she came into a storehouse full of puppets. I mean, is that common that Egyptians kept dead bodies in stock?

IkoJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #35
jonesissparrow
IndyFan
 
jonesissparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 274
In TOD the dinner scene was over the top and the heart ripping scene was just too freaky for an Indy movie.

Marion spouting out in ROTLA, "I'm American you can't do this to me!" I thought that was weak because for the most part that's why the foreign countries have a grudge against us because of our individualism.
jonesissparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #36
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesissparrow
Marion spouting out in ROTLA, "I'm American you can't do this to me!" I thought that was weak because for the most part that's why the foreign countries have a grudge against us because of our individualism.

Well, individualism has nothing to do with it, but as a reflection of American exceptionalism, wouldn't you say it was a nice realistic touch?
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #37
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Well, individualism has nothing to do with it, but as a reflection of American exceptionalism, wouldn't you say it was a nice realistic touch?

Exactly, that was the whole point. Lawrence Kasdan was poking fun at that.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #38
Bjorn Heimdall
IndyFan
 
Bjorn Heimdall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland
Posts: 283
For the record, I'd just like to add that I love the dinner scene from ToD. There is really nothing wrong with any of those dishes, hell, I'm from a western country and we eat sheepheads, complete with the tongue and the eyes (not the brain, though!), also, sheepfeet and ram's balls!
Bjorn Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #39
deckard24
IndyFan
 
deckard24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Heimdall
For the record, I'd just like to add that I love the dinner scene from ToD. There is really nothing wrong with any of those dishes, hell, I'm from a western country and we eat sheepheads, complete with the tongue and the eyes (not the brain, though!), also, sheepfeet and ram's balls!

Sheepheads...mmmmmmm(in my best Homer voice)!
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #40
metalinvader
IndyFan
 
metalinvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orellana's Cradle
Posts: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Heimdall
For the record, I'd just like to add that I love the dinner scene from ToD. There is really nothing wrong with any of those dishes, hell, I'm from a western country and we eat sheepheads, complete with the tongue and the eyes (not the brain, though!), also, sheepfeet and ram's balls!


So....Tounge,Eyes,Sheepfeet and Ram balls but no brain..Why is that overkill?

BTW You can eat all those ingredients in one food item...The hot dog.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #41
Indyologist
IndyFan
 
Indyologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 1,939
There isn't any scene, per se, that I don't like. However, I don't like the "I'm like a bad penny; I always show up" line from LC. I dunno. It just seemed kind of off. Oh, and I didn't like that tie he wore with his leather jacket, either. But truly, those are the only things I don't like in the trilogy. I'd have to wrack my brain for anything else.
Indyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #42
JerryKing
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 296
Indy

The whole horrible "Teendy" sequence from Crusade. Awful, childish fan fiction that should have remained nothing but footage shot as a joke. All it "missed" was Young Marion, Lil' Belloq and the creepy, leather-clad foreign exchange student Arnold "Toht" Belzig...
JerryKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #43
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyologist
I don't like the "I'm like a bad penny; I always show up" line from LC. I dunno. It just seemed kind of off.

Its a forced attempt at Humphrey Bogart-style cynicism, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyologist
Oh, and I didn't like that tie he wore with his leather jacket, either.

I really like the fact that they play on the iconic outfit in Raiders in the sequels. It helps gives the sequels their own identity and cements that they're not carbon copy rip-offs.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #44
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyologist
There isn't any scene, per se, that I don't like. However, I don't like the "I'm like a bad penny; I always show up" line from LC. I dunno. It just seemed kind of off. Oh, and I didn't like that tie he wore with his leather jacket, either. But truly, those are the only things I don't like in the trilogy. I'd have to wrack my brain for anything else.

I'll agree with what oki9Sedo has to say about the tie. I'm a big fan, but I'm also someone who sees a lot more in Last Crusade than many do, so you're entitled to your opinion.

The "bad penny" line - I don't know, I feel like it even goes beyond cynicism to be an ironic response. Elsa's trying to act suitably dismayed and emotionally whatever, and he's not going to have any of it; he's perfectly happy to give her no better than a cliche and move on.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #45
sandiegojones
IndyFan
 
sandiegojones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,251
I really don't have a problem with any of the films. Maybe a bad effects shot (like the plane crashing into the mountain in TOD) but I love all of them. I actually broke up with 2 girls in college because they hated TOD and it's my favorite!!!
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #46
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
I really don't have a problem with any of the films. Maybe a bad effects shot (like the plane crashing into the mountain in TOD) but I love all of them.

I thought the plane crash shot was fine myself.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #47
sandiegojones
IndyFan
 
sandiegojones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,251
The film jumps! You can see the huge black matte line when it crashes.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #48
BadDates
IndyFan
 
BadDates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Alexandretta
Posts: 132
The synchronisation of the Venetian librarian's stamping with Indy's bashing of the floor is a bit hard to take.

Also, any scenes that try to extract humour from the Nazis (e.g. the collapsible coat hanger, the inadvertant book-signing. Some subjects just aren't funny.)

But boy do I love these films in almost all other respects! :-)
BadDates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #49
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDates
Also, any scenes that try to extract humour from the Nazis (e.g. the collapsible coat hanger, the inadvertant book-signing. Some subjects just aren't funny

Well the style of humour is similar in both scenes. Both very prolonged, very tense moments....and then the tension goes like air from a balloon with a comic moment to relieve it.

I would argue that its easy to laugh at humour derived from the Nazis being hurt or killed in these films (eg. "Oh, sheisse!" during the truck chase; Indy biting the German mechanic, the soldiers all being knocked off the truck during the chase sequence), simply because its so easy to laugh at evil people getting hurt.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #50
MattJones
IndyFan
 
MattJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Note about username: I made this back when we thought Shia's character COULD have been Matthew Jones. Oh well...
Posts: 251
The only bit in the trilogy that I don't like is whenever they used dolls to represent Indy, Willie, and Short Round in TOD.

I loved the entirety of Last Crusade, believe it or not. I can't find a fault with it. I realize that you all have your opinions on the matter, but I just don't seem to feel that way.
MattJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.