TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 07-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #51
Marionfan706
IndyFan

Raiders cut scenes

I only really know of 1 deleted scene in Raiders and thats right before indy leaves and marion and indy kiss! I wish i could've scene that!!!
Marionfan706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #52
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
The LOGO, the GREAT MUSIC & several shots of the New York harbor sequence:

Could you post a screencap of the logo? I've been particularly curious of what the original TV movies' logos looked like.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #53
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow "Travels With Father" Bookends Screencaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
Could you post a screencap of the logo? I've been particularly curious of what the original TV movies' logos looked like.
I recall you asking about the correct TV movie titles in another thread (presumably to update the Wiki)
but can't find it. So, to answer that:

Young Indiana Jones Travels With Father
Young Indiana Jones Attack of the Hawkmen
The Young Indiana Jones Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies

Made some screencaps and made 'em in spades! I should've started doing this at the beginning of the thread!
I also noticed a bunch of other cut stuff so the next ones will be illustrated w/screenshots for viewing pleasure.

Title with different, opening fly-by. Hard to believe the music here was dropped!:

Anxious Indy on deck alone. Much more powerful scene this way. 2 shots:

Cut harbour shots:

Indy on gangway alone with dissolve to Princeton street before meeting Nancy:

Nancy looking back and deleted house exteriors:

Missing dinner shot. (I thought the bowl had veggies but it looks like green gelatin. Mmmmm, Jell-O!):

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #54
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Thanks a bunch, Stoo!

Hmm, The Young Indiana Jones Treasure of the Peacock's Eye... strange name.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #55
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Palestine, October 1917/Daredevils of the Desert

About a minute of footage has been cut from "Daredevils".

Even though the opening battle at Gaza was extended from a mere 40 secs. to over 4 minutes, several bits never made it to VHS/DVD.
Almost all of the shots in the original version are from “The Lighthorseman” and have suffered either one of the following fates:

-flipped, mirror-fashion
-moved to the end battle (sometimes flipped/mirrored)
-earlier/later take of same shot used (sometimes flipped/mirrored)
-binocular contour plate removed

Some of them are:
-Opening 2 shots of cannons firing. 1st one is flipped, 2nd is gone or moved.
-A long shot of advancing infantry with explosions going off around them. (A later take of this is used but it's been mirrored/flipped.)
-There’s also a shot of a Turk machine-gunner alongside a trench firing w/an explosion in background. (Moved to final battle & mirrored.)

The following have been either deleted entirely or replaced:

(2 secs.) Advance of British w/tank and soldier in front falling over from explosion. Deleted.

(4.5 secs.) A shot behind sandbags of an explosion going off & blowing away. Replaced. (Not from "The Lighthorseman".)

(4 secs.) A burning/smoldering Mark IV tank with dead soldiers lying around. Deleted. (Not from "The Lighthorseman".)

(6 secs.) Bird through binoculars is different and has been replaced. The new one has a soaring hawk or eagle.
The original has a very, tiny bird perched on a rock. You can barely seen him in this screencap but he’s there.

(5 secs.) Missing shot of Indy looking away embarrassed for his Aussie friends when they are insulted by the British soldiers in the bar.
It ends the scene and there is no argument that leads to the rugby game. It dissolves directly to the scene of the beach at sunset.

(5 secs.) Missing shot of Indy playing with his knife and putting it away when the Aussies ask him for rabbit dinner. He says something
but my version is in Austrian-German and I can’t tell what he is saying. It could be this off-screen dialogue from the VHS/DVD:

Indy: Well, I got a long ride across the desert. Next time we meet, though, drinks will be on me.

(7 secs.) Missing sand twister shot. (The shot of the moon has been moved to just before the new sequence of Indy & Maya reaching the ravine.)
This part comes just before Indy is disguising himself as an Arab & meets Maya for the 1st time.

(15 secs.) Deleted zoom-out of Indy’s camel pulling Maya's as they ascend a sand dune.

(5 secs.) Indy getting thrown in jail! CUT!! Why?!?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:45 AM   #56
fommes
IndyFan

Quote:
(5 secs.) Missing shot of Indy playing with his knife and putting it away when the Aussies ask him for rabbit dinner. He says something
but my version is in Austrian-German and I can’t tell what he is saying.

He says:
"I don't think so. Riding out."
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #57
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

Notes of these cuts are interesting and I find it perhaps a little disappointed that some were made, I must say as someone who was too young to remember them when they were first on TV and really only watching through them for the first time now, I have not felt that anything was missing from any of them.

(thus far, I'm still on the War Years)
IAdventurer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:58 AM   #58
Twilightpro101
IndyFan

Looking at all these openings. Their definitely truly missed.
Twilightpro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #59
Stoo
IndyFan

*BUMP*

This page is image-heavy as it is and I'm going to upload some more so this is simply a tactic to fill up the rest and bring it over to the next page.

Apologizing in advance for the double-post.

Last edited by Stoo : 10-13-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #60
Stoo
IndyFan

D'oh, it's going to be a TRIPLE POST!

When the Old Indy Chronicles are finished, I'm going to put up some of the cutscenes on YouTube for all to see. Top priorities will be "Princeton 1916" (since it has the most missing) and the beginning of "Travels With Father" (as seen above).
Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #61
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Congo, January 1917 - Holy Grail of YIJC Cut Scenes!

There is a scene in "Congo, January 1917" that was FILMED but not shown on TV and was NOT included on the VHS/DVDs! The series of comic adaptations have a few extra bits'n'bobs and some alternate/extended bookends but there is proof that at least one of these scenes was actually shot. (Would any Europeans or Australians who still have their originals check to see if this is on their copies?)

Here's how it plays out in the comic, occurring between Remy's complaint to Indy about the jiggers in his toes and the part where their boat floats by Schweitzer's hospital camp (NOTE: "Salauds!" is French for "Bastards!"):

Here's the evidence that it was filmed...

From the Young Indy cards - ProSet #82.
"The crates of weapons and ammunition are secured on the boat. Remy, in a rage of madness, suddenly opens fire into the surrounding jungle. Indy is nearly unconscious at the helm."

...and from the series' preview commercial on ABC. Scared Indy firing off a couple of wild shots. Approx. 2 seconds of footage:

I wonder why this was cut?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #62
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

It could be the potentially racist insinuation of the 'monkeys' laughing at us, after all, we are talking colonial Africa here. It could be pretty badly misinterpreted by a modern viewing audience.
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #63
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow More From Cut Scene!

I found another image from this never-before-seen scene. Again, it's from the Pro-Set Young Indy cards, #83 which immediately follows #82 posted above.

The reason why I think it might have been cut is because we would've seen Indy scramble to wire the detonator box twice in a row. You can tell this is form the cut part because the handle is up whereas in front of Schwietzer's camp, it's down. Look at how closely the image resembles the panel in the comic. For comparison's sake:

Cut scene.

In front of Schwietzer's camp.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #64
fommes
IndyFan

Interesting, I think you're right about that the reason why it was cut - it seems logical not having Indy do the same thing twice.

The image from the comic is indeed practically the same as the photo. What would be used for its adaptation then - a longer cut of the episode? Or the screenplay together with these publicity stills?
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #65
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Ireland, April 1916 / Love's Sweet Song - Part 1

Recently noticed this for the very 1st time. Look at all the things that were changed in this shot. (The compositors really did a brilliant job!)

- "Theatre Tivoli" changed to "Theatre Royal"
- "Theatre Royal" added to awning above door
- Top portion of building painted blue
- Building on right was replaced
- Car removed
- Street blocked off w/barrier & sidewalk
- Newspaper stand moved slightly farther back

Traces of the name change are on the DVD, because Maggie still says "Tivoli Theatre" and you can see the the name on the programs and playbills there (and at the pub). I'm guessing the changes were made to be more accurate (because something similar was done with "Travels With Father"). Any Dubliners out there know some history about this place?

P.S. To the mods: I'd like to post comparison shots of the differences in the Mata Hari episode but they contain NAKEDNESS & NUDITY! Could an exception be made here?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #66
Rocket Surgeon

Typically these things are changed as not to owe royalties or licencing fees. This occurs with Saturday Night Live quite a bit. Satire and Live performance gives them the right, but don't extend to rebroadcast, syndication and/or sale for private viewing.

A timely catch, as the Adam Sandler/Chris Farley Schmidt's Gay Beer commercial originally featured Van Halen's Beautiful Girls, but was altered either willingly or at their behest as it appeared on the E network and the Best of DVDs with an SNL Band knock-off.

Curiously, prior to the Superbowl, NBC ran a Sports Sketch Greatest Hits Show which had Beautiful Girls back in place...

There is a Tivoli Theater in Dublin...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #67
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Wow, it's been too long since I watched the episode as aired on television. I hadn't noticed all that!
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #68
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Curiously, prior to the Superbowl, NBC ran a Sports Sketch Greatest Hits Show which had Beautiful Girls back in place...

There is a Tivoli Theater in Dublin...
I'm curious to know how long the Tivoli Theatre in Dublin has gone by that name? I don't think it's a royalty issue and can't see any other reason other than the TV shot was historically inaccurate. My guess is *someone* might have found a c.1916 photograh or picked out improper, period details after the show was produced. If the Tivoli was indeed there at that time then it's very strange change.

The DVD of "Travels With Father" changed one of the maps to read "Constantinople" instead of "Istanbul" and a building/temple in another shot was erased. Not sure about the building but the difference in the map was obviously done to be accurate. (There might even be more examples but I haven't spotted them yet!)

Aah, "Beautiful Girls" from Van Halen II. Killer album. What a freaking great band they were. "Got a drink in my hand, got my toes in the sand and all I need is a..."
Quote:
Wow, it's been too long since I watched the episode as aired on television. I hadn't noticed all that!
Yeah, I just saw it last week! There's a lot of EXTRA stuff sprinkled throughout "Love's Sweet Song" but this is the 1st modified shot that I've noticed. Wonder if there are more...
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #69
vf wing
IndyFan

Curious find! Strangely enough for a latter day fan, I strongly prefer the original broadcast version. It seems a little more real. The grain feels appropriate due to its being a period piece. I also find the color palette more believable, despite whatever history might have to say.

The real reason the DVD version jumps out as being more fakey is the building replacement, as it allows us a much less inhibited view of the theatre building. From the angle we're looking, it comes off strongly as just a flat... we should be able to see two sides of it, and one just simply isn't there. It isn't in the original shot either, but being obscured by the later replaced building helped sell the illusion more effectively.

I agree that it's fantastic compositing. But really scratchin' my head as to why they went to all the trouble cleaning up the shot and didn't fix what strikes me as a glaring error. Unless the theatre is three-sided or something!
vf wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #70
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Since I didn't pay much attention to this series when it was on TV, I didn't realize that so much had been edited for the DVD release. Now I'm going to have to read this thread more carefully, from the beginning.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #71
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Austria, March 1917 / Adventures in the Secret Service -Part 1

When the DVDs first came out, I noticed this part was missing but forgot to mention it here.

Near the beginning, when the 2 princes in the car drive away at 03:32 on the DVD, a shot has been dropped. Indy is getting up from the ground and looking a tad dejected as he watches them drive off. The new version has the car driving in away in one, continuous shot. This might have been cut to make Indy look like less of a push-over (literally).

In “Secret Service”, Indy is shown trying to catch up to them and entering the building in a hurry. This sequence is a replacement for a cut scene which takes place right after the above mentioned shot of the car. It lasts up until the point where Indy enters the room to be first introduced to Xavier and Sixtus. Even though the new footage is the same length of time as the cut scene (approx. 45 secs), the music has been changed, too. Until I upload all these missing bits to YouTube, here's a look at the scene.

Sixtus: Colonel, if you would be sure to thank the President and the Prime Minister for us.

An officer hands glasses of wine to the Colonel and Sixtus before he and Xavier each take one from the table.

Colonel Belmond: Gentleman...God’s speed to you in your efforts.
Major Delon: Hear. Hear.

They raise their glasses and drink. Sixtus downs his wine in one, quick gulp and puts his glass on the table.

Sixtus: When do we leave?

Colonel Belmond: Immediately. You will be supplied wiz false papers and, of course, an agent.
Sixtus: You mean...a spy?
Colonel Belmond: Precisely that. Major...show in Captain Defense.

Xavier: (chuckles, whispering) Imagine, Sixtus, our very own spy.
Sixtus: I’ll bet he’s a right ruffian.
Xavier: Oh. Ye- (laughs nervously)
Sixtus: Great, coarse fellow with knives in his boots and a scar across his throat.
Xavier: Probably missing an ear. (Whispering excitedly) I can’t wait to meet him.

The last line is a voice-over as Indy is walking through the door at 04:28 on the DVD.

The shot of the 2 princes laughing and then looking surprised/embarrassed upon seeing Indy has been replaced by a new one. In the TV version, when Sixtus says the “trick cyclist” line he is off-screen as Indy walks forward into the room.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #72
Exulted Unicron
IndyFan

DVD/VHS differences

I recently bought the Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones vesions of Phantom Train of Doom, Attack of the Hawkmen and Treasure of the Peacock's Eye.

Do these have the George Hall book ends or are they removed like on the DVD? and if possible, any other version differences
Exulted Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #73
GiantThuggee
IndyFan

Unfortunately, the VHS versions don't have the Old Indy bookends either.

In fact if memory serves, the only Old Indy footage officially released was on a 6-volume VHS set released in the UK. And this set was released shortly after the show originally aired.

I'm not aware of any other differences on the "movies" you mentioned. But I'm no expert!
GiantThuggee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #74
indyclone25
IndyFan

by time they were released on video in the usa , they were made into the movies as seen on the dvds, i have most of the series in the original airings on vhs, i just have to find the time to transfer them to dvd myself .
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #75
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exulted Unicron
I recently bought the Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones vesions of Phantom Train of Doom, Attack of the Hawkmen and Treasure of the Peacock's Eye.

Do these have the George Hall book ends or are they removed like on the DVD? and if possible, any other version differences

Actually, these three movies never had George Hall bookends to begin with, so it's likely that they're the same as other releases.

Phil
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote