TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #101
Demitasse
IndyFan

Were there many cuts made from the original broadcast of the London episode?
Demitasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #102
Stoo
IndyFan

Demitasse, unless something minor slipped by, I'm pretty confident that the London episode is fully intact.

To compare the 2 versions of each chapter, one version is played on my TV and the other on my laptop and both are synched up perfectly. Extra or deleted scenes become instantly detectable due to the differences in the audio...

However, digitally modified visuals (such as those in, "Travels With Father", "Ireland" & "Paris 1916") cannot be discovered this way. Those differences are found by actually watching the A/B comparisons shot-for-shot and I can't remember if I did this for the London episode.

It's safe to say that no scenes were CUT from "London" but.......Is another VISUAL comparison in order?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #103
Demitasse
IndyFan

I did a visual comparison of it last night and the London episode and the dvd version are virtually the same. Nothing new has been added digitally as far as I could make out. There is some new footage spliced into the movie in addition to the new bridging sequence:

At about 1:10:50 on the dvd it breaks off from the broadcast version and we get a new scene of Indy and Vicky on the train with Indy explaining the background on Miss Seymour. I assume this was part of the new footage filmed in 1999 and not the original:

At about 1:22:25 on the dvd it breaks off from the broadcast again with ten extra seconds of exchanged glance bike-riding, this footage looks older than 1999. Could be that it was just not part of this youtube version of the episode which was probably a re-broadcast. Stoo you may want to check your originals:

Other than that, this looks like one of the few episodes that is more or less intact from the original airing! Glad they didn’t mess with it, other than the travesty of removing those poignant Old Indy bookends!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #104
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demitasse
At about 1:10:50 on the dvd it breaks off from the broadcast version and we get a new scene of Indy and Vicky on the train with Indy explaining the background on Miss Seymour. I assume this was part of the new footage filmed in 1999 and not the original:
This scene isn't new because it was in the original, Canadian broadcast on CTV. The YouTube version you compared it with might be from the American broadcast on ABC. The reason why I say this is...

From personal experience, I know that *at least* 2 episodes on ABC in the States were shorter than the Canadian CTV versions because they were missing scenes/shots. If the YouTube video you watched is indeed from ABC, then you've just uncovered the 3rd example of how the U.S. didn't get the FULL Young Indy episodes.

Upon first joining The Raven in 2005, I reached out for other folks to help investigate these CTV/ABC differences but my short-lived thread quickly went on the Road To Nowhere. Here is a link to where I detailed the differences: Missing/Extra Young Indy Scenes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demitasse
At about 1:22:25 on the dvd it breaks off from the broadcast again with ten extra seconds of exchanged glance bike-riding, this footage looks older than 1999. Could be that it was just not part of this youtube version of the episode which was probably a re-broadcast. Stoo you may want to check your originals:
WHOAH! I never noticed that those were additional shots (and agree that they are using original footage which was edited out of the broadcasts). Way to go, Demitasse!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #105
reinthal
IndyFan

Where is Sir Peregrine Prentiss in Treasure of the Peacock's Eye?

I notice that actor Frederick Treves is credited in the DVD of Treasure of the Peacock's Eye for an appearance as Sir Peregrine Prentiss the father of Vicky Prentiss (Elizabeth Hurley) who starred in the episode London, May 1916 but I can't see him in it at all. Was his credit perhaps mistakenly included by the DVD production team or did his scene end up on the cutting room floor?

It makes sense that Indy would try and find Vicky after the war, though from the original "Old Indy" bookends we know*that he had not in fact seen her since the day he departed London for the war but perhaps he did find and speak with her father. If so it seems that that scene never made it to the final cut (of the DVD version at least).

I don't have access to the original broadcast version? Does anyone know if he was in that?
reinthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #106
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinthal
I don't have access to the original broadcast version? Does anyone know if he was in that?
I've always wondered about this, too, so thanks for mentioning it, Reinthal!

He is credited in the broadcast version, as well, but he doesn't seem to be in it anywhere. No scenes were cut for the VHS/DVD version so it's either a mistake or his part was completely dropped.

I'm guessing that his appearance would've come right after Indy goes to Miss Seymour's house since Vicky's parents lived nearby.

Maybe Laird Malamed has more insight into this mystery...
Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #107
Demitasse
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
PhantomTrain, stay tuned because I will soon be uploading all the cut & modified shots/scenes. The 1st one on deck is the original bookends to "Travels With Father".

Any chance of this in the near future Stoo?? Say one dull, rainy Swiss afternoon?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #108
Stoo
IndyFan

You must be psychic, HalfCup! It was indeed foggy & rainy here just last week so I started working on this but ran into corruption problems with my burned DVD. Were it not for that, the video would've been uploaded by now.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #109
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow "Travels With Father" Bookends

At long last, I have now FINALLY uploaded the bookends for "Travels With Father". (Better late than never, eh?)

Feast your eyes & ears on this rarity:
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Travels With Father - Bookends

For a detailed description of the differences between them and "Winds of Change", see: posts #50 and #53.

Enjoy, my friends.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #110
Demitasse
IndyFan

Thanks Stoo!! What a treat!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #111
Michael Storm
IndyFan

Old Indy Bookends

I'm working on buying the official Lucasfilm dvds, or else the vhs tapes. I would like to own the Bookends especially the Spike one. I don't have anything to offer in return, but would like to have the Old Indy bookends in the show. Also I'd like to have them edited in the films.
Michael Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #112
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Storm
I'm working on buying the official Lucasfilm dvds, or else the vhs tapes. I would like to own the Bookends especially the Spike one. I don't have anything to offer in return, but would like to have the Old Indy bookends in the show. Also I'd like to have them edited in the films.
No problem.

I prefer cash.

PM me for the price.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #113
Michael Storm
IndyFan

Pirce $$

How much do you charge??
Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #114
Stoo
IndyFan

You must be the same person who, last week on my YouTube channel, asked me to give you .avi files of all the bookends.

Check out this entire thread and you'll see that much more stuff was cut than just the Old Indy bits.

P.S. If you wish to discuss the bookends themselves, the best place would be: The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles
Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #115
Michael Storm
IndyFan

What about re-gaining the original episodes?

I'm not sure what to think of the chaptersl at first they sounded good like making even the movies 23,24,and 25. I love the two hour chapters, just didn't know that important more footage other than the bookends were cut. I heard it was a 45 minute show, and it took two episodes to equal a feature. Sure I know of the un-filmed episodes, due to loss of intrest and expenses, but that's an un-used concept, as far as I'm concered Sean Patrick Flannery is an old man now. He wouldn't look good as Indy anymore. That's been used,just like the main four films. I'm waiting for an un-edited cut of Young Indy spliced together into features with bookends, and I doubt that Disney will make another Indy film. Would be cool, but I heard they weren't going to do it. Still would be neat to do some Indy preqeuls, between the series, and films, with an all new actor, maybe in his twenties-to-early thirties. Thanks for the info. One day I'd like to do a restoration of the un-altered cut on blu ray without the CGI added.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #116
Michael Storm
IndyFan

I've seen all of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
You must be the same person who, last week on my YouTube channel, asked me to give you .avi files of all the bookends.

Check out this entire thread and you'll see that much more stuff was cut than just the Old Indy bits.

P.S. If you wish to discuss the bookends themselves, the best place would be: The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles
I've seen these, and enjoy these several times. I just wanted to find out where or how I can piece together every little bit of missing artifact of the series together.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #117
fommes
IndyFan

I'm completely drawing a blank here, so please help me out: wasn't there some sort of deleted scene with Indy and Nancy in a café somewhere in Princeton in 1919, using it as bookend? I remember reading about it here somewhere - or I could be completely mistaken
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #118
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
I've seen these, and enjoy these several times. I just wanted to find out where or how I can piece together every little bit of missing artifact of the series together.
Michael, I know that you've seen them because we talked recently on YouTube. I was pointing out a thread dedicated to conversation specifically about the bookends, just in case you case you ever felt like talking about them in more detail.

To have every, single, missing shred, you'll essentially need ALL of the TV broadcasts. Extracting all of the cut/altered scenes & titles into a neat, little package is a time-consuming tonne of work to ask for.

Anyway, your idea of compiling EVERYTHING into one linear collection can't be done 100% because there are 2 versions of the 'timeline'. They cannot be merged together without cutting certain parts.
Quote:
I'm waiting for an un-edited cut of Young Indy spliced together into features with bookends,
Dream the impossible dream but don't hold your breath for it to come true, dude!
Quote:
One day I'd like to do a restoration of the un-altered cut on blu ray without the CGI added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fommes
I'm completely drawing a blank here, so please help me out: wasn't there some sort of deleted scene with Indy and Nancy in a café somewhere in Princeton in 1919, using it as bookend? I remember reading about it here somewhere - or I could be completely mistaken
A café? You must be mistaken, Foams. Look a few posts up for a link to the bookends for "Travels With Father". Nancy is there but it's the same as the "Winds of Change" scene.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #119
fommes
IndyFan

Apparently my memory is already faulty! I had this image in my head of a 'depressed' or older looking Flanery in a cafetaria reminiscing with Nancy and regretting that they didn't end up together or something like that - not even a picture of some filmed but unreleased scene? If you don't know it Stoo, it certainly doesn't exist, and I must have imagined it based on the prospect of Indy meeting up with Nancy again in Winds of Change before I ever saw the episode. Weird
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #120
NonStop
IndyFan

In relation to this thread; what would be the best way to get hold of all these series in their true glory?

I'm a UK resident, I can get hold of the UK DVD sets from 2008, but are there any VHS's for example that I should buy where certain episodes have been so badly butchered? Or should it all be VHS?

Thanks in advance!
NonStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #121
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStop
In relation to this thread; what would be the best way to get hold of all these series in their true glory?

I'm a UK resident, I can get hold of the UK DVD sets from 2008, but are there any VHS's for example that I should buy where certain episodes have been so badly butchered? Or should it all be VHS?
Hi, NonStop. I remember you from way back and recall your excitement about the upcoming DVDs back in 2007 so it's surprising that you still don't have them yet, after all these years later.

The 1999 VHS tapes are the same as the DVDs but a portion of the original episodes were released a few years earlier. There were 12 on VHS in Europe in 1992 (U.K., Netherlands, Finland and maybe more countries) and 15 in Japan, on Laserdisc in 1993 and VHS in c.1994.

From the changes that I've identified so far, here is a guide of where the "butchered" originals can be found (star-rated by order of importance).
5 star = Major changes
1 star = Minor changes

1992 European VHS / 1993 Japanese Laserdisc / 1994 Japanese VHS:
***** German East Africa 1916 - scenes were cut, camera angles were changed, main voices were changed
-**** Curse of the Jackal - scenes were cut, shots were replaced, a sound effect was removed
--*** British East Africa 1909 - a scene was cut (which was a nice connection to "Last Crusade")
--*** Austria 1917 - a scene was cut, a shot was cut
---** Vienna 1908 - a shot was cut
----* Verdun 1916 - a couple of shots were placed in different order

1993 Japanese Laserdisc / 1994 Japanese VHS:
---** Paris 1916 - the digital cover-up of nudity (for TV) was removed (to expose the nudity on DVD)

Never released in their original format:
***** Princeton 1916 - scenes were cut
-**** Palestine 1917 - shots were cut, a shot was replaced, a shot was moved into a different order
-**** Travels With Father - scenes were cut, shots were digitally modified, dialogue was changed
--*** Peacock's Eye - a main voice was changed
---** Ireland 1916 - a shot was digitally modified, a sound effect was removed
----* Hollywood Follies - the 'earthquake' credit was removed

NOTE: This list covers only the titles where things were changed within the main story. To get ALL of the Old Indy bookends, you'd need to get 17 more titles and 10 of those have never been officially released. ("Scandal of 1920" counts for 3 of that number because there are differences between the movie version and the 2-episode version.)

If anyone has more information to add, please do. Don't be shy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStop
Thanks in advance!
Does this mean that you're going to disappear again?

Last edited by Stoo : 03-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #122
micsteam
IndyFan

Hey Stoo, you said there was a portion of original episodes released on VHS before 1999, do you recall when they came out ?? Do you or anybody here have any pics of what the original episodes packaging looks like ?? I'll see if I can hunt these down if I can get a little more help.
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #123
Stoo
IndyFan

Mr. Micsteam, that Florida sun must have ruined your eyes! As I wrote above, the earlier VHS tapes came out in Europe in 1992 and Japan in c.1994.

If you're going to hunt them down, the Japanese ones are NTSC format so they will play on a North American VCR. The Euro tapes are PAL format so they will not play on a North American VCR. You'd need to have a unit that plays PAL cassettes or find a service bureau that is able & willing to transfer them. (I say 'willing' because some places will not touch commercially released tapes.)

The Finnish covers were posted here (courtesy of VP). The U.K. covers look the same but are in English. (I've never seen the covers for the Japanese ones).

P.S. Some relatives of mine live in Miami but the last time I was down in Florida was 1982! I want to go back to ride a fanboat through the Everglades and wrestle some alligators.

===
In other news...

Stay tuned to this thread because I'm putting together a video of the cut scenes from "Princeton 1916" (details in post #1) and will post a link here when it's done.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #124
micsteam
IndyFan

Ok, my mistake. I'll be on the look out for the Japanese ones then. Thanks for the info.
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #125
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Deleted Scenes - "Princeton, February 1916"

Starving for more footage of Indiana Jones? StooTV delivers.

As promised, I've uploaded the deleted scenes from the "Prinecton 1916" episode. Four segments, forming a total of 3:30 minutes, are missing from "Spring Break Adventure" and it's a shame they were left out, especially the extra parts of the car chase.

Some of you may not have seen these before (and I would love to know what you think of them) so here they are for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72uCTsKo2wE

Enjoy!