TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 06-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
Attila the Professor

Supporting Cast - Hopes and Speculation

So, anyone taking odds on Mark Rylance showing up in this thing?

(This thread can be a place for general conversation about character types and casting possibilities that have potential, creatively or otherwise, as inclusions in the coming film.)
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
The Stranger
IndyFan

I want HIM as the villain!!!

The Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
TheFedora
IndyFan

I would love it if we had a younger villain set this time. Maybe late twenties/ early thirties.... also no commies this time. Maybe the villains could be a an organized gang that wants to exploit a macguffin?
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Henry Jones VII
IndyFan

It would interesting to see Timothy Dalton in this franchise for sure,he was tremendous on Penny Dreadful. He could play some sort of british archeology figure,an old friend of Doctor Jones.

Henry Jones VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:41 AM   #5
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones VII
It would interesting to see Timothy Dalton in this franchise for sure,he was tremendous on Penny Dreadful. He could play some sort of british archeology figure,an old friend of Doctor Jones.

I second this.
Walecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:17 AM   #6
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

One or all of these singers:

Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
So, anyone taking odds on Mark Rylance showing up in this thing?

The odds seem good. And I've got no beef with it - he'd be terrific as an ally or a baddie.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

I hope we get a cast with some diversity. The last two movies have been whiter than Gods of Egypt.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #9
Duaner
IndyFan

Possible villains - Benedict Cumberbatch or Michael Fassbender

Possible sidekick for Indy - Oscar Isaac, Simon Pegg, or Tom Hardy
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #10
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
I hope we get a cast with some diversity. The last two movies have been whiter than Gods of Egypt.

That'd be nice. You have to assume they'll be setting it someplace that isn't predominantly white, after, as you indicate, the American and European installments most recently released.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
That'd be nice. You have to assume they'll be setting it someplace that isn't predominantly white, after, as you indicate, the American and European installments most recently released.

It doesn't matter where it takes place. I'm talking about sidekicks, villains, etc. They've all been played by white actors since LC.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #12
Attila the Professor

Quote:
It doesn't matter where it takes place. I'm talking about sidekicks, villains, etc. They've all been played by white actors since LC.

It matters a bit. I'd hate to see an adventure set in, say, sub-Saharan Africa, without any black actors in major roles.

I'll put forth my opposition to Dalton now; he's a great actor, but they've done their Bond casting already, and I don't see any reason for more of it.

As for Isaac, Hardy, Cumberbatch, and Fassbender, they strike me as being perhaps too much wattage for a supporting role. Blanchett and Connery are the exceptions to the rule here. As for Simon Pegg, he's already in both of Abrams's Star... series, plus Mission Impossible. Be nice to get some fresh blood in here that hasn't already played a role in some gigantic Hollywood project, and retain a little bit of dustiness around the enterprise.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
Finn

Quote:
Yet the entire movie series, while having plenty of fake nationalities, holds only one case of fake race. Namely, Sallah.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:30 AM   #14
IndyForever
IndyFan

Christoph Walz would be perfect! Please no Jim Broadbent though he was so weak in KOTCS.
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #15
Duaner
IndyFan

Quote:
Be nice to get some fresh blood in here that hasn't already played a role in some gigantic Hollywood project

In these days when we get 4 or 5 superhero movies a year plus countless other sequels, prequels, and reboots of major franchises, it makes it more difficult to find actors/actresses who haven't had a part in one or more of them.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walecs
I second this.

I third it.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #17
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
In these days when we get 4 or 5 superhero movies a year plus countless other sequels, prequels, and reboots of major franchises, it makes it more difficult to find actors/actresses who haven't had a part in one or more of them.

It's difficult only if that's all you're looking at.

But my secondary point is that all of those guys you mentioned, triple-series Pegg aside, are leads. They're serious actors, but they're very familiar faces, which is not this series's MO.

Television. Indies. Non-American film. Theater. I think those avenues offer a lot more potential. They're also, not incidentally, where a number of the folks you mentioned achieved their good names.

Star Wars has always been cast differently than Indiana Jones, with a lot more interest in recognizable actors; Raiders didn't have anyone like Alec Guinness or Peter Cushing in it. It's biggest name actor, after Ford, is someone who became famous later, Alfred Molina. (Amrish Puri, for what it's worth, also

Connery was a piece of stunt casting, but it worked, and it was appropriate in that case if it was ever going to be so; this astounding guy in the hat had to come from someone of similar stature.

We saw some shift in Crystal Skull, with Shia Labeouf looking like someone who was going to have a big career. (He still might: he's not retired, he's just not anchoring megaplex product anymore.) Broadbent and Winstone have led projects, but they're basically character actors. Blanchett's a trickier case: she's of star stature, generally playing lead roles, but without a star persona; she's a character actress, one who often disappears into roles, as with her Kate Hepburn. She wasn't playing a version of herself or her usual film persona (if she has one) as Spalko, and whatever weight the character has isn't dependent on it being Cate Blanchett (as is, I think, what we might initially expect with Connery).

To choose two handy examples, I think we might look more at Star Wars, and The Force Awakens in particular, as a model, over the Chris Nolan, 1960s epic strategy of filling every role with a big name.

The Force Awakens has:
3 returning cast members with faces, one of whom is a star, the other two of whom have established comfortable niches for themselves.
2 relative unknowns in the lead roles, one with few credits of note and the other with a performance in a small European action film with a flashy concept.
3 recently established buzzy actors, one who'd recently played lead in some well-reviewed films, one a deserving Oscar winner who built her career in Kenyan tv (and doesn't show her face in the film), and one who's mostly known for his supporting role on a buzzy tv series.
Christie is known for an astonishingly popular fantasy tv series; Serkis is doing his traditional mo-cap thing. Domnhall Gleeson has lots of strong supporting credits, but as a non-Potter viewer, his face wasn't recognizable to me.

Get one of the leads of The Americans, Keri Russell or Matthew Rhys. Get someone like Riz Ahmed, who was so good in Nightcrawler, and has now moved onto Rogue One and the next Bourne movie. Have Timothy Spall be some dusty old bookseller in a declining imperial outpost. Get someone most of us have never heard of but has been doing stellar work in Nigeria or Thailand or South Korea or Turkey or India, somewhere with a thriving national cinema. Feel free to cast from more familiar cinemas like France, Spain, Japan, etc.

The villain of every Indy film so far has been played by someone born either in the United Kingdom (Freeman and Glover), in part of the British Empire (Puri), or in a nation with a shared monarch and not-yet-full sovereignty (Blanchett). Maybe that streak can be broken, at least?
Old 06-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyForever
Christoph Walz would be perfect! Please no Jim Broadbent though he was so weak in KOTCS.

I agree, I loved him in Inglorious Basterds, he stole every scene. Also the good part of Spectre.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #19
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Yet the entire movie series, while having plenty of fake nationalities, holds only one case of fake race. Namely, Sallah.

True. I would just like to see more characters like Captain Katanga pop up - but in more prominent roles.

I'd like to see Idris Elba in an Indy movie.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #20
IndyForever
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
I agree, I loved him in Inglorious Basterds, he stole every scene. Also the good part of Spectre.
Oh yeah he is good could play Indy's best friend then turn like Donovan did in TLC but as its Indy we usually know the villain early on so perhaps the pre title sequence will reveal he is not actually Indy's friend but mortal enemy or keen rival for whatever the artifact is!!
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #21
Duaner
IndyFan

Quote:
It's difficult only if that's all you're looking at.

But my secondary point is that all of those guys you mentioned, triple-series Pegg aside, are leads. They're serious actors, but they're very familiar faces, which is not this series's MO.

Television. Indies. Non-American film. Theater. I think those avenues offer a lot more potential. They're also, not incidentally, where a number of the folks you mentioned achieved their good names.

I don't disagree. Like you said though KOTCS kind of approached the casting differently. Everyone in the cast was a recognizable face. If that is the same approach we are taking for Indy 5, I would prefer that they fill the roles with guys that can actually act - like my suggestions. I don't quite consider any of them leads, except for Tom Hardy. I forgot about Mad Max when I suggested him (probably because I am in the minority of people who thought that movie was pure garbage) - but remembering that, I withdraw his name from the suggestions. Oscar Isaac is only a leading man in small films and is just now taking on the supporting roles in big franchises (barely recognizable in X-Men: Apocalypse I will add). Cumberbatch and Fassbender don't really carry movies on their own either, but yes they have become very recognizable. I suggest them though because they can really pull off the villain thing convincingly. Simon Pegg is suggested because he sort of gives off that Marcus Brody-type vibe. By the way, even though he was in The Force Awakens, if they had not told anyone it was him, no one would have known.

Either way, I agree that you don't want an A-list star-studded cast, but a recognizable face here and there mixed with some unknowns/newcomers is not a bad thing.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #22
TheFedora
IndyFan

Also given that a new Indy film would likely be in the 70's or 80's, it would also be interesting to see if Indy facing off against group of younger people. Say 20-30ish who are part of an international looting gang or something.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:59 AM   #23
Attila the Professor

Quote:
I don't disagree. Like you said though KOTCS kind of approached the casting differently. Everyone in the cast was a recognizable face. If that is the same approach we are taking for Indy 5, I would prefer that they fill the roles with guys that can actually act - like my suggestions.

There are degrees of recognizability, I think; a gap between "hey, it's that guy!" and "hey, it's [insert star's name here]." I knew who Winstone, Broadbent, and Hurt* were, but I don't think I'd seen either of them in anything in '08. Allen's far from recognizable in the 21st century. And Igor Jijikine is largely unknown still.

* Took me looking at IMDB to even remember John Hurt was in this thing. And I'd seen The Elephant Man, but didn't recognize him from that, naturally.

Besides, I'm not advocating a whole bunch of unknowns. Just people who are less known, and who aren't headlining films.

Quote:
I don't quite consider any of them leads, except for Tom Hardy. I forgot about Mad Max when I suggested him (probably because I am in the minority of people who thought that movie was pure garbage) - but remembering that, I withdraw his name from the suggestions. Oscar Isaac is only a leading man in small films and is just now taking on the supporting roles in big franchises (barely recognizable in X-Men: Apocalypse I will add). Cumberbatch and Fassbender don't really carry movies on their own either, but yes they have become very recognizable. I suggest them though because they can really pull off the villain thing convincingly. Simon Pegg is suggested because he sort of gives off that Marcus Brody-type vibe. By the way, even though he was in The Force Awakens, if they had not told anyone it was him, no one would have known.

Cumberbatch has starred as Doctor Strange, Alan Turing, and Sherlock Holmes in major projects. Hardy was the lead in Locke and Bronson and had major supporting roles in 2 huge Chris Nolan projects in which everyone listed on the top of the poster is a star; plus Mad Max. Fassbender is launching his own possible series in December's Assassin's Creed, was the lead in Shame and Hunger, played Steve Jobs in a major motion picture, and has major roles in the Alien and X-Men series. And Oscar Isaac, who is, I concede, the most borderline case, still has his young Pacino routine in A Most Violent Year, his Harrison Ford replacement bit in The Force Awakens, and the lead in a big Coen Bros. picture, plus his big antagonist part in the significant gif producer Ex Machina. Heck, even Pegg has starred in arguably the best action comedies of this century.

Quote:
Either way, I agree that you don't want an A-list star-studded cast, but a recognizable face here and there mixed with some unknowns/newcomers is not a bad thing.

And we're pretty close on this point. Those you've mentioned just seem like easy picks off of the tree to me.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #24
Duaner
IndyFan

Quote:
Besides, I'm not advocating a whole bunch of unknowns. Just people who are less known, and who aren't headlining films.

You just have to act fast on some of them. It seems that every time some relative unknown puts forth good work on television or some small independent film, they get snatched up for one of the countless Marvel franchises.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #25
Attila the Professor

Quote:
You just have to act fast on some of them. It seems that every time some relative unknown puts forth good work on television or some small independent film, they get snatched up for one of the countless Marvel franchises.

A good number of them do, to be sure. All the more reason to explore possibilities other than white Anglophone men, though.