TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #76
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan
 
Forbidden Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: With the Treasure of Mara...
Posts: 950
I love Temple of Doom because it's fresh. While George and Steven copied Raiders afterward and thus created the "Indy formula" the only thing that connects Temple and Raiders is the character Indiana Jones. It is the 2nd most iconic in the series, with the mice-cart chase and the bridge scene cemented in mind the same way they are with others. It also happens to be the film Indy almost looses his hat, and grabs it before the wall closes. That scenes always if referenced/spoofed as oppose to the whip one in Raiders.

I love Temple of Doom because in this day of age when family films try hard to comfort their audience, bending down to them and compromising to the point they give us tripe, Temple truly goes all the way and offers genuine scares.

I love Temple of Doom because it reminds the world Christianity and Judaism aren't the only religions in the word.

I love Temple of Doom because it has one of the most thrilling opening 22 minutes I've ever scenes and rivals many movie openings(including Raiders).

I love Temple of Doom because Harrison Ford is in his prime.

I love Temple of Doom for its terrific use of John Williams music.

I love Temple of Doom for its fantastic use of colors and locations.

I love Temple of Doom as its the only film where Indy actually wins.

I love Temple of Doom because of nostalgia and that it always brings me to more pleasant place at a more pleasant time.

I love Temple of Doom because its FUN!
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #77
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan
 
Forbidden Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: With the Treasure of Mara...
Posts: 950
*double post*
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #78
JP Jones
IndyFan
 
JP Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Space between Spaces
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
I love Temple of Doom because it's fresh. While George and Steven copied Raiders afterward and thus created the "Indy formula" the only thing that connects Temple and Raiders is the character Indiana Jones. It is the 2nd most iconic in the series, with the mice-cart chase and the bridge scene cemented in mind the same way they are with others. It also happens to be the film Indy almost looses his hat, and grabs it before the wall closes. That scenes always if referenced/spoofed as oppose to the whip one in Raiders.

I love Temple of Doom because in this day of age when family films try hard to comfort their audience, bending down to them and compromising to the point they give us tripe, Temple truly goes all the way and offers genuine scares.

I love Temple of Doom because it reminds the world Christianity and Judaism aren't the only religions in the word.

I love Temple of Doom because it has one of the most thrilling opening 22 minutes I've ever scenes and rivals many movie openings(including Raiders).

I love Temple of Doom because Harrison Ford is in his prime.

I love Temple of Doom for its terrific use of John Williams music.

I love Temple of Doom for its fantastic use of colors and locations.

I love Temple of Doom as its the only film where Indy actually wins.

I love Temple of Doom because of nostalgia and that it always brings me to more pleasant place at a more pleasant time.

I love Temple of Doom because its FUN!
You're AWESOME dude! 100% Agreed!
JP Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #79
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,882
“There’s so much movie in this movie—that’s the basic reason that ‘Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom’ is so appealing. Its main show, a five-minute chase sequence in mining cars between Indiana and Short Round and Willie in one car and the henchmen of the evil child-abuser Mola Ram in another.

This beautifully directed and edited chase is even more exhilarating than one’s childhood memory of the roller-coaster sequence in ‘This is Cinerama’ (1952).

And it’s almost as exciting as a real trip on Walt Disney World’s Space Mountain. Credit Spielberg and producer Lucas’ special effects team at Industrial Light & Magic for this entry on anyone’s list of filmdom’s greatest chases.” — Gene Siskel, Chicago Tribune
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #80
EgyptianPharaoh
Guest
 
EgyptianPharaoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Inside WestWorld..."Boy do we have a vacation for you!"
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Jones
You're AWESOME dude! 100% Agreed!


Yes!..I agree with all of that too!
EgyptianPharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #81
Indy1Jones2
IndyFan
 
Indy1Jones2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fairmont WV
Posts: 282
yeah the mine cart scene the bridge scene and Indy's Toughness
Indy1Jones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #82
the lost ark
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tanis
Posts: 17
I like how it is like a big giant roller coaster and doesn't try to copy ROTLA like LC did.
the lost ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #83
Redinight421
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19
I would not say it's my favorite. But, it has some of the better qualities of Indy films for me now and when I was younger. When I was younger I wanted to be Short Round, he made it my favorite film at the time.

Mola Ram is the best villain period. All the villains were great.

Indy was a true hero in TOD. He saved children and gave the stone back to its people.

It had some real tension in the movie too.
Redinight421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #84
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redinight421
It had some real tension in the movie too.
It's going to be a rocky road to Dublin...

If you mean the tension from trying to decide if Temple was an elaborate prank on Raiders fans or...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #85
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
It's going to be a rocky road to Dublin...

To be sure.

To be sure, Paddy me old mate.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #86
Redinight421
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
It's going to be a rocky road to Dublin...

If you mean the tension from trying to decide if Temple was an elaborate prank on Raiders fans or...

I don't know. It had more tension than Skull and I never really felt it in Crusade when I was young. I was 6 or so when I watched the films on HBO in 1991. I guess I don't have any feelings of betrayal from sequels prequels to some of the most beloved film franchises
Redinight421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #87
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,882
Why do we Love Temple of Doom?
The whore nightclub singer who's for sale.
Young children whipped, slave in the gloom.
Exquisite torture and murder of the occasional male.
Why do we Love Temple of Doom?
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #88
michael
IndyFan
 
michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Posts: 1,131
*snaps fingers*

maaaaaan that was deeeeeeeep, bro.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #89
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Why do we Love Temple of Doom?
The whore nightclub singer who's for sale.
Young children whipped, slave in the gloom.
Exquisite torture and murder of the occasional male.
Why do we Love Temple of Doom?

Yeah. For all that.

I like it when you talk dirty.

Tell me some more.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #90
michael
IndyFan
 
michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Posts: 1,131
Would be funny if you went to an open mic, took out the first and last sentence, and said guess what movie this is from!
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #91
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,882
Quote:
"A movie so loaded with pulp-fiction plot twists and breakneck B-movie action that it could be thought of as one long, drawn-out stunt."

New York Times, Glenn Collins – May 20, 1984

Long, drawn-out...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #92
TheMutt92
IndyFan
 
TheMutt92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,438
I love TOD because of these sequences:
The Musical Opening
The Spikes
The Heart Ripping/Whipping/Voodoo Doll
The Mine Cart Chase
The Bridge

And lastly, because of John Williams score
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #93
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,329
Raiders is the brain, Crusade the heart and Skull the cheesy grin, but Temple is the balls! A swaggering, great big pair of brass ones! Indy would be far less the guy we love without them. Those who wish to disagree can kiss 'em both.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #94
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Raiders is the brain, Crusade the heart and Skull the cheesy grin, but Temple is the balls! A swaggering, great big pair of brass ones! Indy would be far less the guy we love without them. Those who wish to disagree can kiss 'em both.

Most badass post ever. I agree, with both this and Forbidden Eye's fabulous list.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:22 AM   #95
Darth Vile
IndyFan
 
Darth Vile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Raiders is the brain, Crusade the heart and Skull the cheesy grin, but Temple is the balls! A swaggering, great big pair of brass ones! Indy would be far less the guy we love without them. Those who wish to disagree can kiss 'em both.

Lol - I think Temple is more to the rear of the balls area...
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #96
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
Lol - I think Temple is more to the rear of the balls area...
I think the "bad-ass" quotient has been raised!

But I'd say it's more like swamp-ass.

A by-product of a sweaty adventure, it's uncomfortable, annoying and it stinks...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #97
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
Lol - I think Temple is more to the rear of the balls area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I think the "bad-ass" quotient has been raised!

But I'd say it's more like swamp-ass.

A by-product of a sweaty adventure, it's uncomfortable, annoying and it stinks...

Who's to suck and who's to pucker up? I shall leave the pleasure of choice to thee, boys.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #98
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
...Temple is the balls! A swaggering, great big pair of brass ones! Indy would be far less the guy we love without them. Those who wish to disagree can kiss 'em both.

Thanks for the invitation, that's mighty cosmopolitan of ye...but I don't play for the "other side."

Good luck dredging up takers though!

Last edited by Rocket Surgeon : 02-11-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #99
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Who's to suck and who's to pucker up? I shall leave the pleasure of choice to thee, boys.

Is the Temple of Doom a euphamism for some other kind of dungeon?

That would account for all the slavery, torture, bondage, chains, whipping, and men with big choppers.

Did Lucas and Spielberg really sneak this one under everyone's noses as fun for all the family?

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #100
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Is the Temple of Doom a euphamism for some other kind of dungeon?

That would account for all the slavery, torture, bondage, chains, whipping, and men with big choppers.

Did Lucas and Spielberg really sneak this one under everyone's noses as fun for all the family?


Ha! There is quite a lashing of homo-erotica to be found, indeed. Georgie can be super-subversive when he wants to be.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.