TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Who's your favorite? Why?
Belloq 57 45.97%
Toht 25 20.16%
Mola Ram 30 24.19%
Donovan 9 7.26%
Vogel 2 1.61%
Spalko 1 0.81%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #101
Orellana
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 69
Belloq for sure, it's fun to see the darker version of Indy, and how he gets the best of Indy. sometimes. see RotLA
Orellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #102
The Drifter
IndyFan
 
The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orellana
see RotLA

I think that we all have
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #103
MaxisIndy
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 15
Indy Villian Rating

1) Vogel
2) Mola Ram
3)Spalko
4) Belloq
5)Donovan

I rank them as such because to me, the ones who actually did something physically impressive against Indy are more worthy. Elsa is off this list immediately because she never did anything menacing, let alone hold a weapon. Vogel, Mola Ram, and Spalko did some pretty impressive physical fighting. Donovan and Belloq at least held a weapon and were somewhat evil.
MaxisIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:09 AM   #104
Indy86
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 78
Mola Ram ran away when Indy tried to attack him in the temple and managed to kick him in the face and hit him only once. Indy owned Ram. Still I would place Ram first. Just because he's the coolest villain in Indy and than perhaps Vogel.
Indy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #105
MaxisIndy
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 15
Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy86
Mola Ram ran away when Indy tried to attack him in the temple and managed to kick him in the face and hit him only once. Indy owned Ram. Still I would place Ram first. Just because he's the coolest villain in Indy and than perhaps Vogel.

Respect.
MaxisIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #106
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,394
I've moved the above 3 posts to place them in a more general villain thread, rather than the Spalko thread from which they originated.

***

Belloq's the gold standard, or at least one of them, for summer blockbuster villains, in my opinion. A nuanced, not particularly flashy performance, rendering a character just shades worse than the hero and with emotional responses that we can understand. Few villains get to be as legitimately charming as Belloq does in the scene in the tent, mirror trick notwithstanding.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #107
Indy86
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 78
I think what is interesting about the villains in the Indy movies is that they do not engage into physical contact with the hero. With exception of Mola Ram. Belloq and Donovan and even Spalko were all about business. They would pull a fast one on you once or twice maybe like in a game. They got a common goal and they would go after it. Indy doesn't go after the bad guys to get them, he's trying to be the first one to find the artefact. And I think Belloq is one of the rare kind of bad guys. I think the best way to have a bad guy is if he's a total opposite of the hero. Instead of the rough looking hero, he was the decent, clean, civilised version of Indy, except he was on the wrong side.

Mola Ram is the exception but that's what makes him so cool. He already had 3 of the 5 stones. So he was well on his way before he met Indy. They were all cool in their own. Belloq because he's a mirror image of Indy, Mola Ram because he was so different from Belloq and Donovan, I think he was evil because he was working with the Nazis.
Indy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #108
Golddragon71
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Just North of D.C.
Posts: 42
I was thinking about Belloq today and something occurred to me
in Raiders

Belloq: You and I are very much alike. Archeology is our religion. Yet we have both fallen from the purer faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am a shadowy reflection of you. it would only take a nudge to make you like me, to push you out of the light.

Indy: Now you're getting nasty!

Belloq: You know it's true. How nice. Look at this (holds up a pocket watch) It's worthless. Ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless! Like the Ark. Men will kill for it! Men like you and me.

Indy: What about your boss? Der Furher...I thought he was waiting to take possession.

Belloq: All in good time. When I'm finished with it! Jones, do you realize what the Ark is?!? It's a transmitter! A radio for speaking to God!

Now maybe it's just me, but Belloq isn't really thinking this thing through. He's as much as admitted that he's the Bad guy and Indy's the good guy. (albeit a possibly corruptable one in Belloq's estimation) But he wants something that will allow him to communicate with God himself. Not something that will make him God, or even God-like, just a path to an audience with the almighty.

If I were an admitted Bad Guy, i'd be a little more reluctant about going so far out of my way to attract God's attention by using one of his toys in service to the opposition.
Golddragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #109
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragon71
I was thinking about Belloq today and something occurred to me
in Raiders

Belloq: You and I are very much alike. Archeology is our religion. Yet we have both fallen from the purer faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am a shadowy reflection of you. it would only take a nudge to make you like me, to push you out of the light.

Indy: Now you're getting nasty!

Belloq: You know it's true. How nice. Look at this (holds up a pocket watch) It's worthless. Ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless! Like the Ark. Men will kill for it! Men like you and me.

Indy: What about your boss? Der Furher...I thought he was waiting to take possession.

Belloq: All in good time. When I'm finished with it! Jones, do you realize what the Ark is?!? It's a transmitter! A radio for speaking to God!

Now maybe it's just me, but Belloq isn't really thinking this thing through. He's as much as admitted that he's the Bad guy and Indy's the good guy. (albeit a possibly corruptable one in Belloq's estimation) But he wants something that will allow him to communicate with God himself. Not something that will make him God, or even God-like, just a path to an audience with the almighty.

If I were an admitted Bad Guy, i'd be a little more reluctant about going so far out of my way to attract God's attention by using one of his toys in service to the opposition.


Well I always thought of this like Belloq doesnt care about the means to achieve his goals. He's working with the Nazis because he sees it as the only way to get what he wants, and doesnt care about what they do. And unlike indy, he thinks that being able to talk with God means somehow that he can have any request of his granted...and yeah Belloq does see Indy as corruptible, as I think he was familiar with the Temple of Doom Indy who was more mercenary.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #110
Blackadder
IndyFan
 
Blackadder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Croatia
Posts: 223
I would say Belloq, truly a shadowy reflection of Indy, kinda reminded me of a Batman-Joker rivalry.
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:13 AM   #111
JayDee
IndyFan
 
JayDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 180
Well, definitely Belloq. But not in the term of a villain. More of the perfect antagonist in regard to Indy. I also don't think Belloq is an evil person. He just takes advantage in working with the Nazis to get what he wants.
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #112
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee
Well, definitely Belloq. But not in the term of a villain. More of the perfect antagonist in regard to Indy. I also don't think Belloq is an evil person. He just takes advantage in working with the Nazis to get what he wants.

Yeah that was my analysis of him basically. He's like pragmatic in the extreme. Very ends justify the means guy. Basically what Temple of Doom Indy could have become with the whole 'mercenary' attitude.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #113
Kai Hagen
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee
Well, definitely Belloq. But not in the term of a villain. More of the perfect antagonist in regard to Indy. I also don't think Belloq is an evil person. He just takes advantage in working with the Nazis to get what he wants.
Yeah that was my analysis of him basically. He's like pragmatic in the extreme. Very ends justify the means guy. Basically what Temple of Doom Indy could have become with the whole 'mercenary' attitude.
He was quite intimidating somewhere in South America. On the other hand, I think Marion would've fell for him instead of Indy if the circumstances were right.
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.