Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #26
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenshaw
In any case, I know I'm not alone when I say it would be awesome to read Darabont's screenplay. Even if they called it quits on the movie, I would "be ok" if somehow that work was published, circulated, whatever...

Being the rational skeptic, I only believe what I see. Until I see Indy IV trailers rolling around on the tube, I consider it a pipe dream. That having been said, I feel that the problem is not with Frank's script (which is probably excellent), but with the production itself. I don't think that the "dream team" can step up and do the script justice (maybe once upon a time, but not any longer), and I think they know it. I think ultimately the script will be leaked around the internet in various revised forms once the project gets the final "no go," but none of them will be as great as the original would have been with the right push. It's just too bad that a script rumored to be as good as Frank Darabont's will ultimately be reduced to internet drivel. At least go back and get it into novel form and give us one last Indy book, Frank!
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #27
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HovitosKing
I don't think that the "dream team" can step up and do the script justice
Interesting approach, I don't think we've tried taunting them.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #28
JediIndy
IndyFan

DAMN YOU LUCAS!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!

I said it before and I say it again. Do the damn Atlantis story!!!
ARrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!

Or I will SHOOT SOMEONE.

(aims a high powered sniper rife at George Lucas's head)
JediIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 PM   #29
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediIndy
No blasters! No blasters!
*ducks behind counter*

Whoops, wrong thread...
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #30
shenshaw
IndyFan

Quote:

I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!

Or I will SHOOT SOMEONE.

Not cool, bro...
shenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #31
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:

I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!
I WANT ATLANTIS!!!

Or I will SHOOT SOMEONE.

Someone hose this guy off....

Oh wait "top men" are working on that and more as we speak.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:23 PM   #32
Grizzlor
IndyFan

I'm really amazed at how candid Darabount has been about this. He has, since the moment his script was summarily dismissed, been furious with Lucas. And with good reason. Lucas probably KO'ed the movie for good, for what reason?
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #33
shenshaw
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlor
I'm really amazed at how candid Darabount has been about this. He has, since the moment his script was summarily dismissed, been furious with Lucas. And with good reason. Lucas probably KO'ed the movie for good, for what reason?

I am likewise amazed, and I appreciate his candidness. Darabont is not a guy who needs to play everything correctly in order to make a living. He's an accomplished guy and can "call things as they are" without jeopardizing his next job. More power to him for being honest.

On the flipside, I know the arrows will come shooting at me for this, but oh well. I trust George Lucas' creative judgement completely. I trust Spielberg's creative judgement completely. Why? Because if it weren't for those two gentlemen, film would still be in the stone age. I'm exaggerating a tad, since there have been other quite talented directors, etc... But these two men have demostrated over and over that they can put out remarkably entertaining stuff (and spare me the Star Wars 1,2,3 comments!), and have pushed the film industry to remarkable heights (count how many movie credits don't contain the name "lucas" in some fashion or another referring to George Lucas. It's amazing).

I would loved to have seen the movie based on Darabont's draft, but you know what, I'm sure I'm going to be quite pleased with the way Indy 4 turns out just the same. I trust them. Indy 4 was not KO'ed for good!

I appreciate your opinions Grizzlor!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:47 AM   #34
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlor

I can think of a few, but what if a cliff hanger was no longer a cliff hanger? Indy could have sworn off archeology in favor of....the pastorate.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:49 AM   #35
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Oh wait "top men" are working on that and more as we speak.

Someone invited Maj. Eaton back to the party???
Old 11-14-2006, 06:51 AM   #36
indyt
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
I can think of a few, but what if a cliff hanger was no longer a cliff hanger? Indy could have sworn off archeology in favor of....the pastorate.

That would be cool. His adventures now are mission trips around the world where he would go against the supernatural (demonic influences) and battle the forces of darkness while spreading the gospel. I know most would not like that, but it sure would be cool to me.
indyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #37
Eric Solo
IndyFan

Darabont

All I know is, based on Darabont's other work (I'm thinking particularly of The Green Mile adaptation) This Indy script was probably quite awesome and I'm so frustrated we won't get to see it.
Eric Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:16 PM   #38
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Someone invited Maj. Eaton back to the party???

Huh? I was just making fun of JediIndy, that's all.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #39
torao
Moderator Emeritus

someone on the chud boards also explained the tragic of the whole darabont - lucas stand off by remarking on those two's past: that george was sort of darabont's mentor.
Aaand of course we all know that they worked together on the Young Indy stuff.
I like the thought, because it adds some perspective...and complexity...to the situation Darabont finds himself in now.
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #40
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Interesting approach, I don't think we've tried taunting them.

Still haven't. I'm just spittin' the truth.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #41
ninepinejones
IndyFan

Quote:
Great point! Couldn't have worded it better myself.
" Concerning the Indy and Saucerman from mars story"...........
Yeah but that story concept is lame, just the title itself is extremely lame! anyway I think the whole ufo idea has been over done, from Alien vs predator to Speilbergs "taken" so im going to let this one go, you guys are probably right, maybe ten years ago it would of worked.

Last edited by ninepinejones : 11-17-2006 at 10:52 AM.
ninepinejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #42
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by torao
someone on the chud boards also explained the tragic of the whole darabont - lucas stand off by remarking on those two's past: that george was sort of darabont's mentor.
Aaand of course we all know that they worked together on the Young Indy stuff.
I like the thought, because it adds some perspective...and complexity...to the situation Darabont finds himself in now.

That was why Spielberg was working with Darabount, because of his past YIJC experience with Lucas. Lucas has given absolutely no explanation for his action on Frank's script. All we have is what seems like Darabount being immediately shocked, humiliated, and frustrated by George pretty well bashing the script. Obviously, if Lucas were able to get another script going, Darabount's strong feelings would be moot. I just don't forsee GL ever being satisfied, for some stupid, arrogant, obsessive reason, with another script enough to ever make this film. It's all pretty sad.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:41 PM   #43
Pale Horse

What if Lucas didn't like what Darabont did with the character? For example, if Frank had made him a washed up alcoholic with a bent for anger and misogyny? Or worse?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 AM   #44
torao
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What if Lucas didn't like what Darabont did with the character? For example, if Frank had made him a washed up alcoholic with a bent for anger and misogyny? Or worse?

mmmhhhh...sounds good really.

As long as I don't know the script (personally so to speak ) I consider the chance of Lucas being right at 50 %...who knows....
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #45
shenshaw
IndyFan

A good friend, and fellow Indy fan, brought this to my attention:

I'm sure most of us have seen the "Making of Indiana Jones" DVD featurettes so many times, that we can quote it fowards and backwards. You'll recall that in TLC Lucas was opposed to Indy Jr and Indy Sr having a relationship with the same girl. It would appear that Lucas had given in, in order to satisfy Spielberg, Connery, and Ford. Also note that there is absolutely no profanity in Star Wars.

Without knowing George Lucas personally, he has seemed to reveal certain aspects of his character through interviews, documentaries, etc... He prefers to not cross certain moral boundaries with his stories. Connery stated "...sleeping with the same woman was a bit of anathema for George..."

My point is this: I agree with Pale Horse regarding this concept of George not being happy with the Indy character from Darabont. I strongly believe that the reasons that Lucas rejected Darabont's draft was because he took Indy's character in a direction that was too "immoral" for George. And THIS time, George didn't want to make the "same mistake again" (I don't think it had anything to do with the action of the story. I bet Lucas was pleased with the action parts of Darabont's script!) It had crossed a hard line for George! And if it was one or two little parts, I don't see Lucas throwing a huge fit; he could just rework little bits. It must've been some HUGE thread of the story hinged around something "immoral" for George to fire Darabont and start over!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:42 AM   #46
Pale Horse

Quote:
It must've been some HUGE thread of the story hinged around something "immoral" for George to fire Darabont and start over!

Immoral, or immortal? I wonder.....
Old 11-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #47
indyt
IndyFan

Quote:
A good friend, and fellow Indy fan, brought this to my attention:

I'm sure most of us have seen the "Making of Indiana Jones" DVD featurettes so many times, that we can quote it fowards and backwards. You'll recall that in TLC Lucas was opposed to Indy Jr and Indy Sr having a relationship with the same girl. It would appear that Lucas had given in, in order to satisfy Spielberg, Connery, and Ford. Also note that there is absolutely no profanity in Star Wars.

Without knowing George Lucas personally, he has seemed to reveal certain aspects of his character through interviews, documentaries, etc... He prefers to not cross certain moral boundaries with his stories. Connery stated "...sleeping with the same woman was a bit of anathema for George..."

My point is this: I agree with Pale Horse regarding this concept of George not being happy with the Indy character from Darabont. I strongly believe that the reasons that Lucas rejected Darabont's draft was because he took Indy's character in a direction that was too "immoral" for George. And THIS time, George didn't want to make the "same mistake again" (I don't think it had anything to do with the action of the story. I bet Lucas was pleased with the action parts of Darabont's script!) It had crossed a hard line for George! And if it was one or two little parts, I don't see Lucas throwing a huge fit; he could just rework little bits. It must've been some HUGE thread of the story hinged around something "immoral" for George to fire Darabont and start over!

Interesting thought. If that is the case, I am glad the script was done scrapped.
indyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #48
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyt
Interesting thought. If that is the case, I am glad the script was done scrapped.

If anyoen really knows some of George's "friends" in a certain Telluride Ski town, I don't think we would ever chat about immoral . . .
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:21 AM   #49
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
a washed up alcoholic with a bent for anger and misogyny? Or worse?
If this is how Darabont wrote Indy, he deserved rejection. Green Mile and The Majestic are glum and boring. I had hoped an action script would deny him space for brooding, but no. This is a multimedia franchise! Indy wastes no day of his life. 5 years of WWII and 10 years of researching his own quest, with plenty of unwritten adventures in between, brings him right into Indy 4, the same guy we knew. So he forgot to settle down. Distracted professors do that. It doesn't make him a jerk.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #50
San Holo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
If anyoen really knows some of George's "friends" in a certain Telluride Ski town, I don't think we would ever chat about immoral . . .
You got some dirt on Lucas? Do tell
San Holo is offline   Reply With Quote