Will Indy IV be the end of Indy forever?

Pale Horse

Staff member
MacGuffin

McGuffin (aka: MacGuffin or maguffin) is a term for a PlotEnablingDevice, i.e. a device or plot element in a movie that is deliberately placed to catch the viewer's attention and/or drive the logic of the plot, but which actually serves no further purpose - it won't pop up again later, it won't explain the ending, it won't actually do anything except possibly distract you while you try to figure out its significance. More specifically, it is usually a mysterious package or superweapon or something that everyone in the story is chasing.

It is the money taken from the boss in "Psycho"
it is the suitcase in "Ronin"

merancapeman

They better not add anything for poor Indy. The Young series was TERRIBLY stupid, any other go-ons would kill the adventure. But if you mean life, no way. He drunk, as well as his dad, from the Holy Grail, they live forever.

00Kevin

Indyfan
as far as movies go, no harrison ford=no new indy films

I agreed that indy is NOT the kind of series to be passed on from 1 actor to the next. Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, if you want to do another YIJC kinda thing or something, fine, but mid-aged indy is Harrison FOREVER!

other then movies though, keep em coming! comics, games, books, let's keep indy fandom alive for as long as possible! Indy will always be in our hearts! That's where he belongs, Remember that.

merancapeman

YEAH! Thats it! He's already an RPG, i'd like a few of his comic books. But Animated series? That sounds a LITTLE ok. But let me tell you, the game is awesom. It's like a Tomb Raider, only a helluva lot better.

Pale Horse

Staff member
00Kevin
Indyfan

as far as movies go, no harrison ford=no new indy films

Hard to believe that this comes from a Bond fan.

Note: This in no way applies to any advocating of Indy with or without the afore mentioned Harrioson Ford, his likeness or his interpretation of the afore mentioned character "Indiana Jones" herin called "player", its likeness or interpretation therein. Nor should any reading of the above mentioned statement infer any prejudice, collusion, representation, fabrication, mediation, meditation or subjucation of the afore mentioned character herein called "number-one-action-star-of-all-time including past and present displayes of heroics whether real or imagined", likeness, belief, immortalization, wannabe like Indy ramifications, that persist in the ever present virtual, metaphysical, existential, or otherwise tangible realm of the ideal or conceptualized world of Lucas, Ford or any other real or imagined players, dreamers, idolizers, actor(ess), person existing here, there, anywhere, in relation to the primary or secondary or any 'ary' that can be derived from the written, imagined, spoken, or manipulated thought of intellectual property as it pertains to this superficial realm of drunkeness and debauchery the likes this world can only conceive in such a forum.

To prosecute or villify me would be out of the question and harshly condemmed with 1,894,756,303 lashings of my leather whip which was constructed out of squishy squirrel hair masticated in the seventh stomach of a virgin cow.

Randy_Flagg

Replying to this threads title, my definitive answer is... (drum roll).. no, I do not believe Indy IV will be the end of Indy forever.
I'm with you. I'm guessing they'll make a 5th one, but Spielberg won't direct it. And with Harrison being older, I he will likely get injured while filming, so I could see them having to go on hiatus for a while. Just speculation, of course.

IndianaBones

I don’t think there is a definitive end for Indiana Jones, but at the same time i have a feeling like Disney doesn’t know what to do with it. I believe they mainly bought lucasfilm for Star Wars, and Indiana Jones just happened to be under that company. Since 2012 we’ve barely gotten any merchandise, recognition in parks, or video games, etc. Only until now are we getting a movie and a video game that we don’t know when it will come out. Other than that, Indiana Jones is kept pretty quiet, and I’m not sure if they’ll recast especially after how they’ve done something similar with Solo. If I was running Disney, I’d at least be trying to merch up Indy, but I’m biased because I just want a lot of Indy hot toys and sideshow figures lol

Forbidden Eye

Obviously the thread is pretty funny now to bump and say "I don't think it'll be the end", but it is pretty sad how inactive Indiana Jones has been as a series/brand since 2008, only now are we moving forward and getting a little bit of merchandise etc.

Some will simply lay blame on creative decisions of Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull which got a...mixed response. But I think the bigger issue and an undercurrent of the over the top bashing of Indy IV is ageism. We definitely are obsessed with youth in our culture, certainly in the US, sadly once certain people saw Indy as "old", they resorted to jokes and/or indifference as if there was no where to go with the character or take his story once he got "old" which I don't think is correct at all.

Of course if "ageism" is all to blame, is the answer simply to recast with a younger actor? Not necessarily, as culture/filmmaking has changed so much in the 13 years since Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, let alone the 1980s, one wonders if Indiana Jones can really have a place in the current world and be relevant to teenagers, the demographic that Disney desperately wants to cater to.

Even though this series "ended" in 1989, Indiana Jones was still a huge presence in the 1990s, with the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Indiana Jones Adventure, Fate of Atlantis plus misc. merchandise, compared to the 2010s, aside from a new home video release of the movies and occasional anniversary merchandise, little to nothing was done with it.

So in a sense, yeah Indiana Jones 4 sort of was a conclusive end.

I'm of course eager for Indiana Jones 5 and how the story continues and perhaps concludes Harrison Ford's portrayal, but I'm also nervous about the "reaction" and what that will mean for the franchise moving forward.