Sacrilege? Can there be Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford?

Udvarnoky

True enough, nothing's more uncertain than in-development film projects, but he's attached to the project as director at the moment.

michael

I honestly don't think I could deal with hearing Indy's theme without Harrison Ford on screen. It's as simple as that, for me atleast.

Darth Vile

Dr.Sartorius said:
Classics? Isn't that opinion?

"Classic" is an opinion yes (and a term used quite liberally these days)... but usually a common consensus nonetheless e.g. King Kong, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Star Wars, Raiders, The Shining etc. etc.

deckard24

Darth Vile said:
"Classic" is an opinion yes (and a term used quite liberally these days)... but usually a common consensus nonetheless e.g. King Kong, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Star Wars, Raiders, The Shining etc. etc.
You know, it seems like a certain amount of time should go by for a film to be considered a classic. How much though I'm not sure, 20 years minimum maybe? 10 years or less seems too new, but 20+ sounds about right.

Originally Posted by michael
I honestly don't think I could deal with hearing Indy's theme without Harrison Ford on screen. It's as simple as that, for me atleast.

Nicely put!:hat:

indycast

FILMKRUSC said:
You don't need a new Indy. Films are not made to go on forever.
That's how a film series is ruined.

You obviously have never seen the Police Academy series....

Mickiana

Well, I think the amount of possible Indy movies is only limited by imagination. If your imagination has few limitations, well, then......

Meerkat

FILMKRUSC said:
You don't need a new Indy. Films are not made to go on forever.
That's how a film series is ruined.
Yeah, a lot of TV shows/movies and end that way. They start out really good, then the producer messes SOMETHING up, and it all goes downhill from there.

In my opinion, there can never be an Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford. If they put Mutt in charge, it's still going to be in the Indy universe, but then it's going to be Mutt Jones, not Indiana Jones.

Mickiana

Mutt Jones sounds like a bad idea, but then again I'm prepared to be surprised. It looks like Shia will don the fedora, but I don't know how acceptable that might be (by me is mostly what I mean, but of course by everyone else too). I'm more for a new actor to do movies set in earlier times than have Shia swing his way through the sixties and maybe the seventies too! To the people who don't want Indiana Jones without Harrison: Do you mind him being taken over by Shia as Mutt Jones to enable some kind of continuation?

DocWhiskey

Mickiana said:
To the people who don't want Indiana Jones without Harrison: Do you mind him being taken over by Shia as Mutt Jones to enable some kind of continuation?

Personally, I do mind. And I don't want this. A Mutt Jones comic book? Ok. Perhaps a few novels? Ok. But a film series? No thank you. I liked Mutt, I thought he was a cool character. But I'd rather see Shorty or Sallah get their own spin off before him haha.

You want a good way for Indiana Jones to continue far into the future?

Let's look at an idea that's been knocked around here too many times: An Animated Series.

deckard24

Originally Posted by Mickiana
To the people who don't want Indiana Jones without Harrison: Do you mind him being taken over by Shia as Mutt Jones to enable some kind of continuation?
Absolutely! Mutt was an okay character, but in my opinion neither the character or Shia the actor, is fit to take over the role from Ford.

Originally Posted by Doc Whiskey
Let's look at an idea that's been knocked around here too many times: An Animated Series.

It sure looks like this is where they're headed, at least in the interim. If you check out a lot of the different Star Wars/Indy artists websites, there seems to be more and more cartoon variations on Indy. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Gendy Tartatovsky type spin on Indy in the next year or so.

DocWhiskey

deckard24 said:
It sure looks like this is where they're headed, at least in the interim. If you check out a lot of the different Star Wars/Indy artists websites, there seems to be more and more cartoon variations on Indy. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Gendy Tartatovsky type spin on Indy in the next year or so.

Well, I hope you're right, brother. It's been a slow couple of months news wise and right now I'm Indy-starved. And an animated series announcement would make my year.

Saber79

DocWhiskey said:
Personally, I do mind. And I don't want this. A Mutt Jones comic book? Ok. Perhaps a few novels? Ok. But a film series? No thank you. I liked Mutt, I thought he was a cool character. But I'd rather see Shorty or Sallah get their own spin off before him haha.

You want a good way for Indiana Jones to continue far into the future?

I completely agree. Mutt was ok as a supporting character. I liked the banter they shared. If he was a sidekick in another movie, fine...but no spinoff series. Maybe like Doc said, a comic adaptation would be good for the character. I personally think if a movie series were supported by just Mutt, interest would fade rather quickly.
Either continue Indy with Indy 5 or go to the way of animation.

Saber79

DocWhiskey said:
I'm Indy-starved. And an animated series announcement would make my year.

Same here man. Same here.
I still would like to see the Batman: the Animated Series type of art for Indy. :whip:

Meerkat

Yeah...I'd rather see an animated series than Mutt Jones, but if they turned it into Mutt Jones, I'd still watch it :D

Darth Vile

DocWhiskey said:

I'd be interested in seeing cartoon versions of the movies (specifically TOD and KOTCS)... But after that, I'm not really sure where is left to go in an animated universe. I've never read an Indy comic or novel that I'd relish seeing in either movie form or cartoon... they all seem substandard to the movies (I know many will disagree).

It's not like Star Wars where you have an entire galaxy and timeline to examine the minutia a la The Clone Wars. Indy's universe is very specific, and ultimately I'm not convinced it would produce the quality to make an animated series justifiable...

garzo

I think all great characters are just that -- characters. And while I love Harrison Ford's performance as Indy, I think there is plenty of stories for Indy to tell, and unfortunately Ford is not getting any younger.

I'm not too keen about watching a 70+ Indy with his biker son off on some quest during the Age of Aquarius, fighting drugged-up hippies and the Vietcong.

Before we get there, I say turn back the clock and have a great young actor revisit the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles for the big screen. Harrison Ford can narrate as the older Indy, similar to how they did it in the TV series.

The 20s and 30s are just such a cool era and there's so much possibility as long as they manage to liberate Indy from the constraints of Lucas and Spielberg's narrow formula. I was discussing this on another forum so will just add here what I said there on the subject:

I really believe Lucas and Spielberg do themselves, and Indy, a disservice by keeping the films locked in this tiresome formula, i.e., racing against the bad guys to find a McGuffin with supernatural power, which, if fallen into the wrong hands, could plunge the world into darkness. It worked great in Raiders. Was different enough to make ToD enjoyable and fresh, made LC look like retread, and more so with CS.

By insisting on this formula the franchise is destined to fade and die. The only way Indy can survive in a long franchise, in my humble opinion, is to free him from the chains of these conventions, which is what Lucas actually did with the Young Indiana Jones series.

I would love to see a reboot of a big-screen Young Indiana Jones franchise that takes him on global adventures and out of the tiresome mold of simply chasing after a McGuffin before the Nazis, Commies, Thuggees, MPAA or whatever, get their hands on it.

It'll be interesting to see whether Indiana Jones really does survive Lucas and Spielberg, but seeing the amount of passion, and the many, many fan films that are out there, I'm sure he will.

Lambonius

garzo said:
I really believe Lucas and Spielberg do themselves, and Indy, a disservice by keeping the films locked in this tiresome formula, i.e., racing against the bad guys to find a McGuffin with supernatural power, which, if fallen into the wrong hands, could plunge the world into darkness. It worked great in Raiders. Was different enough to make ToD enjoyable and fresh, made LC look like retread, and more so with CS.

By insisting on this formula the franchise is destined to fade and die. The only way Indy can survive in a long franchise, in my humble opinion, is to free him from the chains of these conventions, which is what Lucas actually did with the Young Indiana Jones series.

I would love to see a reboot of a big-screen Young Indiana Jones franchise that takes him on global adventures and out of the tiresome mold of simply chasing after a McGuffin before the Nazis, Commies, Thuggees, MPAA or whatever, get their hands on it.

It'll be interesting to see whether Indiana Jones really does survive Lucas and Spielberg, but seeing the amount of passion, and the many, many fan films that are out there, I'm sure he will.

I couldn't agree more--not necessarily about a big screen reboot in the form of a new Young Indiana Jones franchise, but about the way Lucas and Spielberg crippled the Indy movies (especially KOTCS) from the start. I think Lucas truly is a great creator of characters and universes, and an excellent story-teller, for the most part--AND I believe Spielburg is an excellent director who has done many amazing things in cinema. However, judging by all the interviews and things that came out around KOTCS, I have to say I think these two guys have it completely wrong when it comes to what is great about Indiana Jones and the first three films. Never before have I felt like a character's creators misunderstood their own genius more than I have with Lucas/Spielberg and Indiana Jones. The stubborn reliance on the tired formula of the films is just one example--the insistence that the Indy movies succeed mostly based on action and "thrills" than on a plot with some substance is another (and is what ruined KOTCS--which was even more disappointing given how much great potential the film's concept had.) I would love to see an animated series project (or really ANY other Indy adventures in ANY form) that was helmed by someone OTHER than Lucas/Spielburg. I really think these guys caught lightning in a bottle once or twice with the first films and, as a result of their own stubbornness and ineptitude (not to mention old fogie dorkiness), are just never going to get it right again.