Spielberg's "Harvey" Remake

Dr. Gonzo

Steve's very next project, to begin shooting next year.

A remake of 1950's "Harvey" based on the prize winning play.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/100/1009989p1.html

That is bad news for me as I have been developing a script that was "Harvey" like, but certainly not a "Harvey" remake. And I just registered it with the WGA a couple days ago. Maybe I should abandon ship if the beard is taking the reigns of this kind of territory.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I had a similar experience a few years ago. When I was a teenager, I used to try to write scripts. It took a lot of research just to find out about formatting and didn't find out the proper formatting till film school.

Anyway, long story short, I was once writing a script on Pandora's Box and lo and behold, a year later, Lara Croft 2: Cradle of Life was released, which crushed my dream film about Pandora's Box. The good news: LC 2 sucked, so I'll wait a few years more, so the film is more forgotten, lol.

Another similar thing happened with Star Gate: Atlantis and Atlantis: The Lost Empire. When I was 12 and as I got older, I would write stories and scripts to do with Atlantis. Then Atlantis: The Lost Empire came along and SG Atlantis a few years later.

Think of it this way, Gonzo: Great minds think alike. I just hope it doesn't happen to the script I'm working on now....

Deadlock

Good grief... Spielberg... what are you doing, buddy?

And yes, Gonzo, I hate to say it... but your "Not Harvey" script is likely in danger, unless you'd like to wait around another 20 or 30 years. (Unless of course, yours is a parody of the film... In which case Spielberg's drawing attention to the original couldn't have come at a better time.)

Is there any way you could modify your script to tell your story, but with more subtle references to imaginary rabbits? ;)

WilliamBoyd8

Are you sure that this isn't some kind of joke?

"Harvey" was so dependent on the persona of James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd.

:)

Dr. Gonzo

Deadlock said:
Good grief... Spielberg... what are you doing, buddy?

And yes, Gonzo, I hate to say it... but your "Not Harvey" script is likely in danger, unless you'd like to wait around another 20 or 30 years. (Unless of course, yours is a parody of the film... In which case Spielberg's drawing attention to the original couldn't have come at a better time.)

Is there any way you could modify your script to tell your story, but with more subtle references to imaginary rabbits? ;)

Yeah there is no six foot rabbit in my story, but the imaginary or invisible friend aspect comes into play... especially since the lead character is a half insane drug user. but then again a lot of films have used the "unseen except to the main character" aspect, like "Fight Club" and "A Beautiful Mind".
maybe my description was a little off.
Still worried though.

Dr. Gonzo

WilliamBoyd8 said:
Are you sure that this isn't some kind of joke?

"Harvey" was so dependent on the persona of James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd.

:)

Yeah I agree with you. Jimmy Stewart was what made that film.
Steve wants Tom Hanks for Dowd.

|ZiR|

I generally dislike remakes as much as the next guy, but I don't see why this is so upsetting. It's a play! Plays are meant to be performed, dudes!

I welcome another adaptation.