Happy Thanksgiving!

Gear

I know that not everyone here is an American but for you all here in the states, Happy Thanksgiving.
Eat lots
Have a good time
and eat more.

Plymouth Rock. Pilgrims landed there all those years ago to create a Puritan society and we've been chowing on turkey ever since. Damn shame. I hate turkey.

IndySeven

Violet Indy said:
Question: What is Thanksgiving about anyway? Historically and why turkey?

Thanksgiving is about when the Pilgrims, fleeing England from religious persecution, landed on Plymouth Rock and bulit a settlement known as the Plymouth Colony. They met hospitable Native Americans such as Squanto and Massasoit, and together they shared a feast, a feast that we know today as Thanksgiving.
Turkey is part of Thanksgiving because at the first Thanksgiving way back then, wild turkey was one of the huge dishes served at the feast. Thanksgiving is basically a day of thanks when people come together to share a meal, watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and, oh yeah, NFL football!

Happy Thanksgiving to all at the Raven!:hat:

Last edited:
Allow me to amend my prior statement by saying it's also one of the worst days of any given year.

Wish me luck, I'm goin' in...

Last edited:

metalinvader

I hear both of you,ResidentAlien & Deckard24...

But I think my family has already started to drive me insane today!:dead:

xfkirsten

Happy Thanksgiving! :D Can't wait to get to the turkey and beer part this afternoon! ;)

Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade now. I have to watch it every year just for the Broadway segments. :D (Did they have to pick that number for Young Frankenstein? That was one of the most boring numbers of the show!)

IndySeven

xfkirsten said:
Happy Thanksgiving! :D Can't wait to get to the turkey and beer part this afternoon! ;)

Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade now. I have to watch it every year just for the Broadway segments. :D (Did they have to pick that number for Young Frankenstein? That was one of the most boring numbers of the show!)

I totally agree. Young Frankenstein was so boring!(n)

The Mary Poppins number was way better!(y)

xfkirsten

IndySeven said:
I totally agree. Young Frankenstein was so boring!(n)

The Mary Poppins number was way better!(y)

The sad thing is, so much of the show is better than that number. :( When I first saw it in September, I remember hating the fact that the first act ends on that number because it's just so lame. :/ ("Roll in the Hay" would have been a better choice, but I doubt they would have felt that appropriate for the family parade ;))

The Mary Poppins number was great! That's always been one of my favorite songs.

Did I miss Nikki Blonsky, though? I had to run and take a shower, and I think I missed her doing "You Can't Stop the Beat." Bummer - that's one of my favorite showtunes, and she did a fantastic job in that movie.

No Ticket

I don't have a very big family these days, so Thanksgiving seems less special than it used to. As does most other holidays, even Christmas. I don't really like football that much. I really actually kind of don't like Thanksgiving that much. All it is really is to eat. Yeah, your supposed to note the things your thankful for having or something. I'm thankful they're finally making Indy 4. There. lol.

... as for tomorrow. In the states, it's known as Black Friday... the busiest shopping day of the year. And I have to be at work at 6 am because of it. And I hate hate hate Black Friday. Why does everyone insist on going shopping on this one day? Just because of the sales? I'd rather pay full price than deal with that crap!

I sound negative don't I? lol.

eazybox

It may sound contradictory, but I started to really appreciate what I had only after I'd lost a great deal. I have no family left except a few cousins, and even lost my beloved old Sheltie a few years back--so I really look forward to us all getting together for the holidays-- for me, the food is secondary to the company and the caring. Nothing can replace a family and we often tend to forget that in our materialistic society.

I hope this doesn't sound like a downer; I'm actually having a lot more fun with life now than I did in the past. I don't sweat the small stuff as much and I look for ways to be of service to others, because people I didn't even know helped me when I was in need with a sick family to care for.

Thanksgiving is made up of 2 words: Thanks AND Giving. I have found them to be good words to live by, not just one day a year, but every day of my life.

Jack

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
IndySeven said:
Thanksgiving is about when the Pilgrims, fleeing England from religious persecution, landed on Plymouth Rock and bulit a settlement known as the Plymouth Colony. They met hospitable Native Americans such as Squanto and Massasoit, and together they shared a feast, a feast that we know today as Thanksgiving.
Turkey is part of Thanksgiving because at the first Thanksgiving way back then, wild turkey was one of the huge dishes served at the feast. Thanksgiving is basically a day of thanks when people come together to share a meal, watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and, oh yeah, NFL football!

Happy Thanksgiving to all at the Raven!:hat:

I'm "thankful" that you cleared that up, IndySeven. You hear about it and see it in movies, but no one ever really explains it. Now I know. :D

Stoo

IndySeven said:
Good, little history lesson there, IndySeven, but I just wanted
to add the most important thing of all is that Thanksgiving is a
celebration of the HARVEST. The Pilgrims were giving thanks to God
for the food which is why their feast was held in the autumn.
(Because of this, Thanksgiving in Canada comes several weeks ahead.
Our harvest season starts before as the cold arrives earlier.)

Harvest celebration were customary for some Native Americans
and the first Thanksgiving by European settlers was actually in
present?day Canada but, yes, it was the Pilgrims who got the
?ball rolling? (Indy pun intended).

Hope y?all had a good time stuffing your faces. Anyone with
extra mashed potato left over ? send it my way!:hat:

x66156545545566510_8.jpg

What a guy!