A New DVD Collection?

Major West

xVendetta17x said:
I wouldn't want to get in BLu-Ray
The Indy films are meant to be like a B-Movie, so it's meant to have more of a picturesque look to it
Making it to clear would ruin the effect

Nonsense. The look of the film has nothing to do with the resolution of the picture. Anybody that saw these films at the cinema would have seen better quality than DVDs.

deckard24

Major West said:
Nonsense. The look of the film has nothing to do with the resolution of the picture. Anybody that saw these films at the cinema would have seen better quality than DVDs.
I don't know about that man, not with today's HD upconvert players! I just saw the trailer for KOTCS at the theaters the other day, and I was shocked to see how much clearer it is on my computer screen. It looked great, but was a bit grainy, which actually gave it a more nostalgic look. As for the DVDs, they look amazing on my tv and HD upconvert player! I can't see a regular non digital projector at the theater competing with today's home theater clarity.

deckard24 said:
I don't know about that man, not with today's HD upconvert players! I just saw the trailer for KOTCS at the theaters the other day, and I was shocked to see how much clearer it is on my computer screen. It looked great, but was a bit grainy, which actually gave it a more nostalgic look. As for the DVDs, they look amazing on my tv and HD upconvert player! I can't see a regular non digital projector at the theater competing with today's home theater clarity.

Because you're working with a digital intermediary that didn't exist back in 1981. Film is much higher resolution than DVD. It's not up-converting; all DVD is is a digital transfer of an existing film print and then a heavy compression downward to fit all that film image data on a single disc. What HD allows is for less compression because the disc capacity is higher.

The new Indy is naturally going to look "clearer" because of the digital intermediary. Digital Intermediary is the new step to filmmaking that's come en vogue ever since digital NLE caught on. Film is now scanned and ripped to computer, edited on the computer and then printed back to film for theatrical distribution. Film has flaws and grain that give it its distinct, lively quality; when you print back to film, you're getting more of that. But straight off the digital intermediary, of course it's going to be clearer. Video is more static than film. It's lifeless; there's no grain.

deckard24

ResidentAlien said:
Because you're working with a digital intermediary that didn't exist back in 1981. Film is much higher resolution than DVD. It's not up-converting; all DVD is is a digital transfer of an existing film print and then a heavy compression downward to fit all that film image data on a single disc. What HD allows is for less compression because the disc capacity is higher.

The new Indy is naturally going to look "clearer" because of the digital intermediary. Digital Intermediary is the new step to filmmaking that's come en vogue ever since digital NLE caught on. Film is now scanned and ripped to computer, edited on the computer and then printed back to film for theatrical distribution. Film has flaws and grain that give it its distinct, lively quality; when you print back to film, you're getting more of that. But straight off the digital intermediary, of course it's going to be clearer. Video is more static than film. It's lifeless; there's no grain.
Wow, you know your stuff man!:hat:

I still prefer film to digital any day of the week, but the clarity you get with digital HD channels (ie. The Discovery Channel) is extremely impressive!

xVendetta17x

deckard24 said:

That's because they used film instead of digital

KarmicCurse

Hello. First post. Although I'm a life long Indy fan I had resisted buying the DVDs to this point, initially because they were too expensive as a set and then because the upcoming film ensured a special edition.

Usually when a film gets the double dip treatment, all the extras from the first release are carried over to the new one. I'm disappointed that all the documentaries on the fourth disc from the original set do not seem to be a part of the new versions.

Unless I'm missing something. Will these new discs also be in a set that includes that original fourth disc? Too soon to tell?

If I was to buy the movies ONCE (because I rather hate the way they're marketing this) I'm thinking I should buy the original release since it has the more definitive extras, right?

xVendetta17x

I think I read somewhere that they were going to be released as a set with an extra disc
But at this point i'm not certain
My advice is to buy the original DVD release
The bonus features are spectacular

acsgrlie

xVendetta17x said:
I think I read somewhere that they were going to be released as a set with an extra disc
But at this point i'm not certain
My advice is to buy the original DVD release
The bonus features are spectacular

I've been watching those dvd's nonstop for the past few days :) The bonus disc is fabulous. The making-of specials for all 3 films are great and give real background to the films. I also love 'The Music of Indiana Jones' (y)

xVendetta17x

It's good, but Deleted Scenes would've been better
And also other drafts of scripts info would've been interesting
Apparently Indy was supposed to wrestle a bear in Temple of Doom

Adamwankenobi

ResidentAlien said:

Luckily, Spielberg still edits his films completely on the movieola, and then transfers it to DVD. (y)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
As if I'm going to buy this, considering that I already have the DVD set from 2003, spending enough money on the omnibus and all the books that I plan to buy when KOTCS comes out. Even if you've got more special features. I have my financial limits and besides, how many times can I hear the same stories about the Hawaiian beach, how Kaufman came up with the Ark idea, how Karen beat Sean Young as Marion, how Indy's Dad was going to be more Yoda-like had it not been for Connery, how Connery and Ford weren't wearing their pants on the zep scene, Ford's back operation during ToD and the prank with Barbara Streisand and Carrie Fisher came on set during shooting the whipping scene in ToD.

That's pretty much everything in a nutshell. The only DVD I'll be buying will be KOTCS when it comes out on DVD.

loganbush

Ha I'll only buy them if Spielberg does the commentaries. And we know that chance. So why doesn't he do them? That seems really weird to me.

Adamwankenobi

Violet Indy said:
As if I'm going to buy this, considering that I already have the DVD set from 2003, spending enough money on the omnibus and all the books that I plan to buy when KOTCS comes out. Even if you've got more special features. I have my financial limits and besides, how many times can I hear the same stories about the Hawaiian beach, how Kaufman came up with the Ark idea, how Karen beat Sean Young as Marion, how Indy's Dad was going to be more Yoda-like had it not been for Connery, how Connery and Ford weren't wearing their pants on the zep scene, Ford's back operation during ToD and the prank with Barbara Streisand and Carrie Fisher came on set during shooting the whipping scene in ToD.

That's pretty much everything in a nutshell. The only DVD I'll be buying will be KOTCS when it comes out on DVD.

Quoted for truth. :hat:

Major West

Only it's not truth. There are some new special features that have nothing to do with telling stories about the making of the trilogy.

xVendetta17x

loganbush said:
Ha I'll only buy them if Spielberg does the commentaries. And we know that chance. So why doesn't he do them? That seems really weird to me.

I asked this same question
He doesn't because he feels it distracts people from film
Which I totally agree with

SterankoII

I've heard his reason to but if people have already seen the film and in the case with the Indy movies, dozens of times, I don't think it would be that distracting!

xVendetta17x

I'd rather watch the movie then hear the Cast and Crew talk about it whilst watching it
if I want to hear what they said about the movie i'll watch the special features

KarmicCurse

I personally love listening to commentaries. Depends on the person speaking and if they're actually staying on subject. It's not distracting at all if you just don't turn it on.

And don't believe Spielberg's reason for a moment. There will at some point in the far future be a re-release of all his movies with those commentaries and deleted scenes he claims he hates. Maybe an end of career retrospective ultimate-this-time-we-mean-it edition. As long as he believes people will pay for it he will do it. In fact, all the more reason to insert more editions in between.

xVendetta17x

KarmicCurse said:
As long as he believes people will pay for it he will do it. In fact, all the more reason to insert more editions in between.

I don't think Speilberg is that money hungry
He cares more about the film he's making and getting his ideas and passion on screen
A La his pay for Schindler's List