Man, that fist fight scene was really lazy

The Man

kongisking said:
Oh, god, that is sad, dude. It is SO obvious that Indy intended to discharge the gun and make a distraction. I don't know how he did it, but it is clearly implied that Indy intended it. I mean, he says to Dovchenko, "You got it, pal..." just before it happens, which tells me he was basically saying, "Okay, you asked for it, dumbass..." See? he PLANNED it, somehow...:confused: Don't ask me! I don't care either! All I care about is that this moment kicks off one of the most thrilling scenes in an Indy movie I've ever seen!

Whatever Indy's true intentions, that whole confrontation is woefully timed. Remember when Indy makes a move to whip the rifle from the Commie's hands? Well, I went for a Coke and a smoke at that point, came back...and the gun was still in mid-flight.

Major West

The Man said:
Whatever Indy's true intentions, that whole confrontation is woefully timed. Remember when Indy makes a move to whip the rifle from the Commie's hands? Well, I went for a Coke and a smoke at that point, came back...and the gun was still in mid-flight.

Give it a rest you sad little man.

oki9Sedo

kongisking said:
Oh, god, that is sad, dude. It is SO obvious that Indy intended to discharge the gun and make a distraction.

Thats how I always took it too. He was hardly just dropping his gun and saying "You got it pal" and giving up. He knew it would discharge.

Benraianajones

oki9Sedo said:
Thats how I always took it too. He was hardly just dropping his gun and saying "You got it pal" and giving up. He knew it would discharge.

Yes, he wasn't just giving up. He had an idea, but when it actually worked he was startled I think, hence why he seems so wide-eyed before he scarpers.

_Mothy_

All of the KOTCS action scenes are woefully done. Not even close to the standards of the classic three films.

There's digital flying fridges, praire dogs, ants, monkeys, vine swinging, aliens, flying saucers, consecutive waterfalls which people survive without a scratch, and elastic trees which people drive off willingly with a stupid grin on their face.

Imagine the rope bridge scene done in 2008, the whole thing would have been digital. Taking away all the charm and threat. KOTCS has absolutely no sense of threat. The whole thing falls flat on its face. The mood of the film is 'meh'.

Spielberg lied. He stated before production began that very few CGI effects would be used to maintain consistency with the other films. During filming however, significantly more CGI work was done than initially anticipated. This move alone makes KOTCS feel very much the odd one out. Because it is. John Williams score was lacklustre as well. Everything was.

Dr. Round

_Mothy_ said:
All of the KOTCS action scenes are woefully done. Not even close to the standards of the classic three films.

There's digital flying fridges, praire dogs, ants, monkeys, vine swinging, aliens, flying saucers, consecutive waterfalls which people survive without a scratch, and elastic trees which people drive off willingly with a stupid grin on their face.

Imagine the rope bridge scene done in 2008, the whole thing would have been digital. Taking away all the charm and threat. KOTCS has absolutely no sense of threat. The whole thing falls flat on its face. The mood of the film is 'meh'.

Spielberg lied. He stated before production began that very few CGI effects would be used to maintain consistency with the other films. During filming however, significantly more CGI work was done than initially anticipated. This move alone makes KOTCS feel very much the odd one out. Because it is. John Williams score was lacklustre as well. Everything was.

There were as many CGI elements in this film as there were optical effects in the originals. Nothing actually changed, just the methods. Remember the minecart chase in Temple of Doom? Miniatures, stop-motion, and optical trickery. Spielberg didn't lie.

_Mothy_

I know what I prefer. KOTCS looks out of place and completely different to the rest of the series. Too much CGI by far, don't you dare go making excuses of any kind for this. It is un-acceptable. Demand higher quality from your films.

Dr. Round

_Mothy_ said:
I know what I prefer. KOTCS looks out of place and completely different to the rest of the series. Too much CGI by far, don't you dare go making excuses of any kind for this. It is un-acceptable. Demand higher quality from your films.

Now that just pisses me off. I have no problem if you dislike this film, but you belittling me because I do like it is completely ridiculous. I happen to enjoy fun movies, and I frankly don't care what you think. My point was, and is, that you really don't know how this film was made, or else you wouldn't throw out a tired, now completely debunked argument.

_Mothy_

I definitely don't care what you think, for you actually like this film. I highly question your taste on anything if you like this. The film is an absolute laughing stock. Get used to that widely held opinion. The film is not as good as the other 3, no where near it. It is a black mark on the series. It is CGI and mistake ridden.

Driftwoodv.7

Ok... this thread is ridiculous. Well, not really the thread, but the thread starter.

Crusade>Raiders has changed the subject from the original Ant Fight bashing exactly 7 times.

And each little hole he attempts to poke in Crystal Skull gets instantly slammed and disproven. Now when it comes to opinion, to each his own, to be sure.

But factually, Crusade>Raiders has been proven wrong a number of times, and I'm about to add to that number.

To Crusade>Raiders: You kept pointing out that Ox was a "frail, withered, malnourished man". Ok, in your defense, malnourished would make sense, but as for him being a usually-helpless, brittle "oh, my aching back" old man, you're dead wrong. You might as well call Indy the same thing because of his formal occupation as a professor.

In reality, Ox was also a globe-trotting archaeologist, very similar to Indy. You may recall that he first found the Crystal Skull himself, presumably alone (doesn't seem too frail in my book), and THAT'S when he became insane. But before that, he was perfectly capable and independent as an adventurer.

Last edited:

Driftwoodv.7

_Mothy_ said:

Ok, I agree all the way w/ Dr. Round. The amount of special effects hasn't changed one bit, but rather, the method.

The reason KOTCS seems out of place in your book isn't because there's MORE special effects, they're just different, due to the fact this film was made 20 years later.

To achieve the exact consistency you're complaining about, they would indeed have to use old-school methods, like stop-motion, more miniatures, or melting wax over a long period of time and speeding it up (face-melting in Raiders). Do you really think an accomplished filmmaker like Steven Spielberg would risk using cheesy, albeit classic effects like those I mentioned in a 2008 film, regardless of the franchise? Of course not. He wanted the film to appeal not only to old Indy fans, but the newer generation as well.

Darth Vile

_Mothy_ said:
I definitely don't care what you think, for you actually like this film. I highly question your taste on anything if you like this. The film is an absolute laughing stock. Get used to that widely held opinion. The film is not as good as the other 3, no where near it. It is a black mark on the series. It is CGI and mistake ridden.

_Mothy_ said:
Too much CGI by far, don't you dare go making excuses of any kind for this. It is un-acceptable. Demand higher quality from your films.

Congratulation on posting a couple of the most asinine comments I?ve ever read on these boards?

You ask that we demand higher quality from films... perhaps we should start with "demanding" a higer quality of debate from the likes of your good-self?

The Man

Attila the Professor said:
Guys, take a look a few posts above and check out _Mothy_'s membership status. Then feel silly.

How long did Ol' Mothy last in his latest incarnation? Two hours?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Man said:
How long did Ol' Mothy last in his latest incarnation? Two hours?

A bit longer, but not by much. Thanks for being the reasonable opposition*, The Man...and having a whole lot of time on your hands.

*Heck, that's where I see myself on this one.

The Man

Attila the Professor said:
A bit longer, but not by much. Thanks for being the reasonable opposition*, The Man...and having a whole lot of time on your hands.

Thank you, A.T.P. Thank you, indeed...*

*True, I should find permanent employment...(y)

BasketSnake

Such hilarious posts. Do you people watch these movies daily while rewinding each scene to find errors? Jesus. And you mister Crusader>Raider. Keep it coming. It's a good read while having my coffee!

oki9Sedo

Three years since the film came out, I think its a classic fight scene, right up there with the Flying Wing and rockcrusher fights.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
oki9Sedo said:
Three years since the film came out, I think its a classic fight scene, right up there with the Flying Wing and rockcrusher fights.

Me too.

Frankly, it's almost certainly edited better than the rockcrusher fight, considering how inconsistent the geography is in that one, with regards to how close they are to the crusher itself.

It's also, after Doom Town, the scene in the film where the stakes seem highest. The performances, the music, and the judicious use of necessary effects all saw to that. I always sit up in my seat a little when the ants/fight sequence begins, even with the knowledge that it's downhill from there.