The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Flannery10

Stoo said:
Then, my friend, you are going to loooooooove the "Petrograd" ones...
"Ireland" has some touching narration in the closer, too!

You mean the one with the blurry photo? Yeah, I've read about some of these bookends but I've never seen them. That one seems to be quiet fun.
I count Ireland to my favorite episodes, so there's no doubt, the bookends will be great, too.

Indy Smith

I noticed that Sgt Barthelemy performance seemed a bit off. it didn't sit quie right. I wonder if they had done some ADR on it. However i never realised Major Boucher had been ADR'd also. Were they ADR'd by the same actors then or different ones?

I'd also love to see what the original "Test me" scene looked like now that I know otherwise. In fact I'd love to see te original ADR for both the actors.

I do love the new edits. The stories are still there, but there is something about the opening and closing of the stories that don't feel just right. They don't have that oomph of an opening as they would have done if they had shot those episode originally without the bookends.

Edit: This is the first time I've seen the clip from the Mystery of The Blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwEIs5_z7E

It's brilliant! I thught this was one bookend that they actually kept in? Because when they were advertising the Young Indy stories on VHS they advertised the Mystery of the Blues with Harrison Ford.

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Indy Smith said:
Edit: This is the first time I've seen the clip from the Mystery of The Blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwEIs5_z7E

It's brilliant! I thught this was one bookend that they actually kept in? Because when they were advertising the Young Indy stories on VHS they advertised the Mystery of the Blues with Harrison Ford.

Yeah, it's still there, and will be on Volume Three, The Years of Change.

Grave Robber

Wow this video completely depresses me. I agree with the commenter on youtube...George Hall should burn in hell for his Indy interpretation.

metalinvader

Grave Robber said:
Wow this video completely depresses me. I agree with the commenter on youtube...George Hall should burn in hell for his Indy interpretation.

Show some friggin' respect!! Hall was a damn good actor and his portrayal as Indy in his twilight years was top notch!

Sigh....Are these the kind of members we have to put up with come May 22?:rolleyes:

Looks like this is an early preview.

Last edited:

ReggieSnake

Grave Robber said:
It's alright to have an opinion...but this is kinda the wrong thread for that one.(n)

Indy Smith

ReggieSnake said:
It's alright to have an opinion...but this is kinda the wrong thread for that one.(n)

yeah it seems a bit too harsh I think. I mean I do like the bookends, but I'll admit that some of the bookends feel a bit patronizing and that George didn't quite nail it as an older Indy. He needed to be more gruff in his voice ad play the scenes a lot more truthful. That was one of my main things I disliked about the Indy TV series is that often the comedy wasn't played honest and was played up.

Grave Robber

Well I can agree that yes it was a little harsh of a response. But IMO, I don't think you can have anyone portray Indy at an age older than the movies other than Harrison Ford. Doing a young chronicles was genius, and I really enjoyed those because they really showed the maturation of Indy. And it was ok to have Flannery because you can't make an old actor super young, but you CAN make him super old if needed. Hall seemed too "old manish" to me, at least in the initial video posted: way too grumpy and senile. I don't think an old Indy would be that way. And the eye thing...I dunno that seemed a bit over the top.

All I was trying to say is that I think showing the character in his younger years was great, and a good idea. But portraying him as an old man (very old actually) and with a new actor...well I think that wasn't the best idea, nor was it done very well. But like I said, this is just IMO :)

Stoo

But portraying him as an old man (very old actually) and with a new actor...well I think that wasn't the best idea, nor was it done very well.
It may interest you to know that Lucas wanted to used Ford for these segments
and discussed it with him. The idea was canned as it was figured the make-up
required might be a little, dicey looking.

I like the idea that he becomes cantankerous and slightly senile. It's ironic.
G.Hall's accent is off but the difference doesn't really bother me.

As far your initial "burn in hell" comment...watch out! Old Indy is likely to come
around and clobber you with his cane!:whip:

Anyway, welcome to The Raven, Grave Robber.

Grave Robber

Ha yeah I apologize for that comment...I was more so quoting what the person had said on youtube. Yeah different stuff works for different people, that's why this wonderful forum is here so we can share our stories on how we've reacted to the many Indy productions out there.

As long as we all agree Indy is the man...we're all on the same level :)

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
I like the idea that he becomes cantankerous and slightly senile. It's ironic.
G.Hall's accent is off but the difference doesn't really bother me.

Let me tell you why I have a fondness for Old Indy: He reminds me a lot of my grandfather, who served in World War II, and literally couldn't go five minutes without bringing up the war because something (even the littlest thing) would always remind him of it. He served in both Italy and Japan from 1942 to 1945. He lived to be 84, and I was with him for the last ten of those years.

Among his many war stories, he told me on several occasions when I was young that (and I'm not making this up): he ran into Bonnie and Clyde at the height of their crime spree, was present at the execution of Benito Mussolini, and was at the 1944 eruption of Mount Vesuvius in Italy. He also told stories of a lot of other cool stuff like how he stole a gun off of a dead Nazi (which I was later shown when his possesions were distributed to my dad and uncles after his death), and going hungry and risking court marshalling so he could feed some of the starving kids near where he was stationed.

Now he had a sharp mind up until he was about 82, so I don't doubt he knew what he was saying and was telling the truth. But, because of his peronality, I'm sure he exaggerated a little bit. For example, he swore that he saw a dog walk across a river of lava and survive, and that the heat of Vesuvius caused him to go bald. All of this is why Old Indy's actions as an old man seem so realistic to me, and why I think it was a travesty that Lucas removed the Old Indy bookends for the home video releases. To me, they were an old man looking back on his extraordianry life, maybe exaggerating a few things, but wanting to tell people what it was really like growing up in the early 1900s and fight in the war, while trying to instill life lessons in them.

ReggieSnake

Wow, thanks for sharing the story... I wish I could have met your grandfather. My grandfather was a little younger at the time (he just turned 80). He ran away at 16 to join the Merchant Marines, so I can relate from the stories he tells of the South Pacific.

Jeremiah Jones said:
Ya see, thats life we should all try to live, miracle dogs and all..
"Life's like a movie, write your own ending...";)
I agree.

Adamwankenobi said:
All of this is why Old Indy's actions as an old man seem so realistic to me, and why I think it was a travesty that Lucas removed the Old Indy bookends for the home video releases. To me, they were an old man looking back on his extraordianry life, maybe exaggerating a few things, but wanting to tell people what it was really like growing up in the early 1900s and fight in the war, while trying to instill life lessons in them.
Well put. I'm watching them now for the first time on DVD, and that element is sorely missing, seemingly for no apparent reason.

Stoo

Part 5

Old Professor Jones is still in demand! Indy is out of town speaking as a guest
lecturer for the Pennsylvania History Society. More memorable narration from
G.Hall but, unfortunately, not much else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkStqi_PrrI

Up next...Part 6. (Should I dare share the rarest pair out there?):D

Flannery10

It's not a bad bookend. Quiet funny, like the episode itself, but not the best.

As for your comment Adam, the bookends, in which the listeners enjoyed the story Old Indy told them, just made the story seem better, sometimes.

Statistic, so far:

Enjoyed: Curse of the Jackal, London, Congo, Austria, Barcelona
Bored or Missed the Point: British East Africa, Verdun, German East Africa, Somme, Germany

Right now it's 5:5, but that will change with your uploads, Stoo. Please don't tell me about the other people's reactions in the bookends not uploaded, since I don't want you to spill the surprise.

@metalinvader: That'd be the George Hall "Mystery of the Blues" bookends, that were only aired in Europe. Are those actually in English, Stoo and yeah, please load them up!!