The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

metalinvader

Flannery10 said:
@metalinvader: That'd be the George Hall "Mystery of the Blues" bookends, that were only aired in Europe. Are those actually in English, Stoo and yeah, please load them up!!

Ah,I had a feeling it was those.I can't wait to see Spike and friends early 90's clothes!:p

Matinee Idyll

It's rather ironic that the look and feel of the bookends have aged worse than the main content of the show (which is set 75 years earlier!)...

Indy Smith

Matinee Idyll said:
It's rather ironic that the look and feel of the bookends have aged worse than the main content of the show (which is set 75 years earlier!)...

That's because when they were made they were made in present day. I heard an old theory that if you don't want your TV show or film to age then you make it a period piece setting it in the past. Thats what the creators of Dads Army said. They went on to do Allo Allo. Look at the Indiana Jones movies. Set in the past, and they still don't seem to have aged wheras other movies around them do. You could probably say Jurassic Park has aged ever so slightly, but not Schindlers list :p

Stoo

Flannery10 said:
@metalinvader: That'd be the George Hall "Mystery of the Blues" bookends, that were only aired in Europe. Are those actually in English, Stoo and yeah, please load them up!!
Or, more precisely, ?Chicago, April 1920? & ?Chicago, May 1920?;)
Yes, they are from the U.K. so, fortunately, they?re in English.
Not only do they feature Spike but the 1st appearance of Indy?s
red-haired daughter!

(Funny story about how I got these. I traded for the rare Euro episodes
in ?97 and never transferred the PAL tapes to NTSC. Eventually, I forgot
all about them and it was only until a few months ago that I remembered.
The sad thing was that they were boxed up in storage back in Montreal,
so over the Christmas holidays I dug them out and FINALLY got them
transferred. I had the ?making of?, the rare Euro episodes and the U.K.
?Blues? bookends for over 10 years and had never even seen them!

The freakiest part is that I now live in Switzerland about a 1hr train ride
from the guy I originally traded with.)

Indy Smith

I saw someone posted The making Of on Youtube as well.

I've not got the DVD sets yet, but I do notice that the history Docs look interesting. However it would have been good if they had a comprehensive making of on it.

Adamwankenobi

Indy Smith said:
I saw someone posted The making Of on Youtube as well.

I've not got the DVD sets yet, but I do notice that the history Docs look interesting. However it would have been good if they had a comprehensive making of on it.

That's something I'll never understand, because ever since the show was on air, Rick McCallum has been going around talking about how amazing the production was, shooting all over the world, encountering real-life dangers such as wars and earthquakes, and being the first series to heavily use digital production techniques. You'd think they'd go all out on it. Why couldn't they have included both educational elements and BTS elements?

Indy Smith

Adamwankenobi said:
That's something I'll never understand, because ever since the show was on air, Rick McCallum has been going around talking about how amazing the production was, shooting all over the world, encountering real-life dangers such as wars and earthquakes, and being the first series to heavily use digital production techniques. You'd think they'd go all out on it. Why couldn't they have included both educational elements and BTS elements?

We'll never know! Maybe they'll bring out another set with only Making Of's on it. pfft. Now that would be a bummer!

Matinee Idyll

Ahh! I forgot how amazing that cut is;

"...EVER DEVISED BY MAN OR THE DEVIL!"

* TRAIN WHISTLE BLASTS *

Sent shivers up me spine.

Stoo

Yes, Matinee, a very chilling intro that manages to immediately set the mood.
"It happened...by a little river called The Somme..."

The reason the donut/jail combo are my favourite bookends is because they
are one of the few times we see Indy angry. Sure, in others he is obviously
annoyed but in the donut shop he actually gets physical. As one of the YouTube
comments said, I love how Indy holds the kid down for the entire story!
The cane is his new weapon of choice.

Here's a groaner for you::sick:
With Old Indy's (w)hip replacement, he's walking much better now...

Flannery10

Stoo, do you have another acount on youTube? Because someone uploaded the rare George Hall Blues Bookends today and the name of the uploader was not StooTV. So, I was just curious. The quality is rather poor though and if it wasn't you, you might wanna check if yours are better.

Anyway, the bookends are absolutely fantastic. I mean the Harrison Ford bookends for that episode are unique and it was certainly great they got made, but in case Ford wouldn't have made them, those would have been great, too.

Flannery10

metalinvader said:
Heh,Nice find Flannery.

It's pretty funny that Hall has most of the same lines that Ford did..

Yeah, that's what I realized. It's kinda interesting to see that and it's something that happened in My First Adventure, too. Corey Carrier's lines aren't that different from George Hall's at all.

Stoo

Flannery10 said:
Yeah, sure. How do you think about those bookends, by the way?
Thanks for the link, Flannery. Yes, mine are better quality (but not 100% perfect).
I like these bookends a lot and will most likely post mine but am leaving for Berlin tomorrow!(y)
Will write more when I get back!

metalinvader said:
It's pretty funny that Hall has most of the same lines that Ford did..
Indeed, and as Flannery noted, the narration in "My First Adventure" is almost identical.

Flannery10

Stoo said:
Thanks for the link, Flannery. Yes, mine are better quality (but not 100% perfect).
I like these bookends a lot and will most likely post mine but am leaving for Berlin tomorrow!(y)
Will write more when I get back!

Well, good luck on your trip! How long are you gonna stay there? It's a great city indeed and you can spend a lot of time there without getting bored.

Adamwankenobi

Flannery10 said:
Yeah, sure. How do you think about those bookends, by the way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmk087Iv-YQ
Chiliana Jones said:
thought they only made Bookends with Harrison for the "Mystery of the blues" episode(s). Looks like i was wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmk087Iv-YQ

CJ

I might get some tomatoes thrown at me for saying this but, in all honesty, I like the George Hall bookends better than the Harrison Ford bookends. I like how Old Indy and Spike seem to have a nice grandfather/grandson relationship (Spike actually treats Old Indy with some respect!), and Spike is just a cool character... very much foreshadowing Mutt, IMO. :cool:

Flannery10

Adamwankenobi said:
I might get some tomatoes thrown at me for saying this but, in all honesty, I like the George Hall bookends better than the Harrison Ford bookends. I like how Old Indy and Spike seem to have a nice grandfather/grandson relationship (Spike actually treats Old Indy with some respect!), and Spike is just a cool character... very much foreshadowing Mutt, IMO. :cool:

"Throwing Tomatoe at Adam!" No, seriously, the Harrison Ford bookends are unique, just because of Harrison Ford's appearance, but like I said already the George Hall bookends are fantastic. Like you said, both versions should have been put on the DVDs and since "Blues" was the only episode that was never changed, they could have put the episodes with george hall on there, too.