Would you support a Bond-style re-cast of Indy after Kingdom?

Kyle

NOOO! Harrison Ford IS Indy. There can be no other. You think of Indiana Jones, he comes to your mind with countless other classic images...I would rather it end with KOTCS and just bask in the awesomeness of the movies he has graced us with.

:hat:

Dr.Mirakle32

Yes!!!!

He already was recast! Anybody remember River Phoenix, Sean or Patrick Flannery, et al?

This may sound insane, but what about Luke Wilson? I think he looks a little like a young Ford, and he's a pretty good actor. We all know he can pull off the comedic aspects of the character, as well as the serious ones. I say make at least two more films after this next one, and have them be set in the early 1940's, showing some post-LC and pre-KOTCS adventures. That way, we can have a return to the pulpy, serial, nazi-fighting feel of the originals, and we could have six solid IJ films to compliment the STAR WARS series.

lukewilson_007.jpg
real-indiana-jones.jpg

Make any more IJ films preqels or interquels, so we can have one solid contnuity rather than a fresh reboot.

Honestly, IMHO recasting Indiana Jones and setting furture films in the 30's and 40's, is a MUCH better idea than continuing the series with Shia Labouf as the new "Indy".

Last edited:

barranca

Dr.Mirakle32 said:
Honestly, IMHO recasting Indiana Jones and setting furture films in the 30's and 40's, is a MUCH better idea than continuing the series with Shia Labouf as the new "Indy".

I agree, continuing the movies with Shia just won't work for me, There seems to be a general feeling against this on this board. I hope and pray its not their intention.
Afterall it would be a 'Spin-Off' and with few exceptions they never work.
'The adventures of Mutt Williams' knife weilding, 50's greaser & Archeology student' just dosen't do it for me.

(we should have a poll on this!!)

We may as well go the whole hog and have a TV series 'Marions bar room tales' where drunken customers come into the Raven and tell her their allegorical stories (told in flashback), you could have a few plot threads each week (like love boat or fantasy island!) and resolve each episode with a wise word from Marion herself !

adventure_al

Dr.Mirakle32 said:
This may sound insane, but what about Luke Wilson?

Has Doctor been taking some of his patients medication? I've got nothing against Luke Wilson but as Indy!? No Way!!! If that was the case they'd be lining up Ben Stiller as Henry Snr. "Insane"- you said it!

Dr.Mirakle32

What's the problem? He's never really been overly goofy in any of his movies, but he's still funny, he's a decent enough actor, and he looks kind of like a younger Ford.

It's not like I suggested Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller, or Will Farrell. Hell, even OWEN Wilson would be terrible in the role.

Deckard

Yea but Luke Wilson seems too reserved even when he's getting angry, and I just don't see it working. No one should replace Ford as Indiana Jones. Now if you want to make something else w/ a new character in the Indy universe fine but don't call it Indiana Jones anything.

Dr.Mirakle32

But he wouldn't be replacing Ford, but rather playing the Indy character in a different chapter of his lifetime, much like Phoenix and Flannery did.

Mr. Z

Luke Wilson really isn't that kind of actor. I think he is very talented, but not in a tough guy Indy sort of way. He's not really the rugged type, in my oppinion.

Snakes

Out of all the actors suggested on this thread, I think either Nathan Fillion or Eric Bana would be best. I'm not totally comfortable with more films without Ford, but if they were done very well and were kept separate from the 4 original films, then I would support it.

Kingsley

I can't be sure that a spinoff with Shia is a bad idea till I see Indy 4. Maybe he results being an extraoridnary character with ahis own and rich universe to develop in future movies. Who knows?

As for Indy, I too think Indy is Ford... in his late 30's, 40's and 50's... but there is a hole in the 20's that can still be filled by another actor. I could see that working. The young adventurer becoming a greedy seeker for fortune and glory.

Mr. Z

Kingsley said:
As for Indy, I too think Indy is Ford... in his late 30's, 40's and 50's... but there is a hole in the 20's that can still be filled by another actor. I could see that working. The young adventurer becoming a greedy seeker for fortune and glory.

Ooooh, now there is a cool idea!

Tennessee Smith

I remember reading somewhere that Lucas originally planned to possibly have different actors assume the role like Bond. My gues is that the big 3 recognized Harrison was the only one that could hold the torch and should not pass it. Granted, Flannery and Phoenix both played Indy, it was a "young" Indy they played. Not the main guy.

...now that's not to say that Lucas might still do it in the future. He loves to mess with perfection. ;)

barranca

I've seen some of the Chronicles on TV here in the UK but I'm not hugely familiar with them. At what point in Indy's life did they run up to? If it was his early twenties, then I would support a recast for a new slate of adventures.
The problem would still remain of finding an actor with enough Charsma and Gravitas at that young age to take over.
An unknown may be a better option, but young Harrison Fords don't grow on trees!! And Unknowns are risky, there has been some shaky re-casting/casting. Brandon Routh? I liked him, but he's no Chris Reeve, Hayden Christensen? well liked young actor, but made Anakin/Vader seem like a whiney teenager/fledgeling psychopath. (To me at least!).